• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PLEASE HELP!!!! LG Optimus V Stuck in A WEIRD Adb Recovery Mode

floriana

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

I'm new to Android. I rooted the phone, to install C7. By all tests, the phone seemed to be rooted, correctly. Same the SDK... I red and watched all the tutorials I could find. Unfortunately, none of them was complete and I was pretty challenged trying to find out an explanation for almost every single technical term and detail. So, I kind of missed something before running the "adb reboot recovery". It's showing only:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data factory reset
wipe cache partition

In my opinion, I should have added some other files also to the sdcard, before starting this but the tutorials have been very confusing for me, in this regard...

So I got no "backup" option or any thing else. I didn't know how to get out of that screen. I tried with "reboot system now", no "wipe" or anything else. It didn't work. All I got was a black screen, with a little green bug, with a triangle and an exclamation mark.

I found nothing online to be able to solve the problem on my own and I needed to use the phone. From this point I did what I knew to do with my Blackberry, unplugged the phone and took the battery out, to reboot it to its original settings.

It turned back on but to the same screen ("Android system recovery") and now I cannot even connect it to the computer, I'm getting: "device not recognized"...

Please help me with this! I will be very grateful...

Thank you very much! I will try this.
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language​

Upvote 0
Wow! Thanks!

I used fastboot and got a new screen:

Android system recovery

- Reboot system now
- USB_MS Toggle
- Backup/Restore
- Flash zip from sdcard
- Wipe
- Partition sdcard
- Mounts
- Other
- Power off

Now I'm not sure what to do. I selected "reboot system now" but I don't know what button to press. I tried all of them except the power button and none worked. More help, please... :)
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
Detect language​

Upvote 0
In most recoveries, the volume up/down buttons will move the selection up/down. Either the menu key or the camera key is the select button. And the back key is pretty much always the back button.

First, turn off your phone and take your sdcard out and put it in your computer. Now place the ROM zip file you want to use on the sdcard, not in any folders. Check the instructions on your ROM's thread to see if you need other files as well (such as gapps for aospCMod).

Once you have the ROM you want and it's supporting files on your sdcard, put it back in your phone and turn the phone on by holding down your home_key+volume_down_+power till the LG logo goes away, this will reboot you into the recovery screen.

Once in recovery, wipe cache, then wipe dalvik cache (may be under other).

Next under mounts, format boot, system, data, and cache.

Next, choose flash zip from sdcard, do not choose any update options, just pick the ROM you want to flash. It will take 2-5 minutes to install.

Next, choose flash zip from sdcard, and flash any supporting files (such as gapps for aospCMod). This goes much faster.

Next, back in the main menu, choose reboot system now. It will take a long time, it is rebuilding all your files, be patient. ;)

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
Hi,

I sent you a message. Did you get it?

As a matter of fact it went through my mind to do the trick with the sdcard. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, when I try to move the files on it, for some reason the card won't take them. Even more, after I try to move them there, my pc is not able to open the sdcard anymore, like it's not there. I have to restart my computer and then it's able to open it. (My laptop is a new HP and it's awesome but kind of weird here and there.) I tried moving the files to a cloud folder first and then to the card but the same thing happened. Why this is happening, I have no idea!

I got the files I tried to move, at these links:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0...YTE3YzMyOGViZDI5&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

[ROM][WIP][ALPHA] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.4 / CM7+ (Gingerbread) - xda-developers

I believe though that the img files are corrupted because Alzip cannot open any of them, although it is always able to open img files. Maybe this is what is messing up my sdcard...???

Two more questions:

1) The recovery.img and flash_img should be zipped or unzipped when I put them on the sdcard. The tutorial I saw on Youtube showed them unzipped.

2) Can you give me a suggestion for another ROM, in case I fail with this one? I chose C7 because everybody was raving about it. Reading more though, it appears that the camera will loose some features on C7 and this is a big minus, for me. I need something stable, to be able to handle well both media and productivity.

Thank you so much for all the help and Happy 4th of July! :D

Detect language​

Upvote 0
I got the message, but I try to help in the forums so that others can see the solution. ;)

You definitely need to figure out your issues with your sdcard. Is it too full?

I would suggest Bumblbee ROM if you want as many features as possible and the least number of bugs. It's Froyo, but it's really just as good as any other ROM, except no Froyo based ROM can play Netflix without a green bar through the video.

Upvote 0
In most recoveries, the volume up/down buttons will move the selection up/down. Either the menu key or the camera key is the select button. And the back key is pretty much always the back button.

First, turn off your phone and take your sdcard out and put it in your computer. Now place the ROM zip file you want to use on the sdcard, not in any folders. Check the instructions on your ROM's thread to see if you need other files as well (such as gapps for aospCMod).

Once you have the ROM you want and it's supporting files on your sdcard, put it back in your phone and turn the phone on by holding down your home_key+volume_down_+power till the LG logo goes away, this will reboot you into the recovery screen.

Once in recovery, wipe cache, then wipe dalvik cache (may be under other).

Next under mounts, format boot, system, data, and cache.

Next, choose flash zip from sdcard, do not choose any update options, just pick the ROM you want to flash. It will take 2-5 minutes to install.

Next, choose flash zip from sdcard, and flash any supporting files (such as gapps for aospCMod). This goes much faster.

Next, back in the main menu, choose reboot system now. It will take a long time, it is rebuilding all your files, be patient. ;)
WOW Ifeel like such an IDIOT.I have been using the home button to try to get the recovery options to function. It is now backing up the data,and I will continue with(backup is done,now wiping cache partion)the wipe after.

Upvote 0
Sorry for replying late. Been very busy. I managed to move those files on the sdcard. I'm still confused because:

1) The camera or menu button won't work for me, in recovery. Only the home button.

2) My phone doesn't display the aospCWMod-VM670-20110531, only the google apps and stocvmrecfkash.zip.

3) I flashed those, the google apps seemed to work fine, as for the stocvmrecflash, it said it couldn't find any update so it didn't do anything.

4) I don't have the format boot option anywhere. That I see is also required for bumblebee. Now, I want to try with that rom, to see if it works. Although the developer requires a wipe file that has to be installed from the market and my phone is not yet able to get out of the recovery mode, no matter what.

I'll see what will happen if I try to install Bumblebee and I'll keep you posted. :)
Detect language​

Upvote 0
I tried installing "Wait That Ain't Sense Espresso!" because it was easier. Didn't work. The phone is still rebooting in recovery mode. It flashed the zips but after reboot installs nothing. Maybe I didn't delete enough of it... I just deleted cache and Dalvik cache.

I also ran the recovery only from the phone. Didn't use adb or anything.

Update: Now, while writing I tried to wipe the system/factory reset as well and the result was the same, it rebooted quickly, in recovery mode... When I reboot after flashing, should I use again the 3 buttons or only one?
Detect language​

Upvote 0
I don't know where you got "Wait That Aint Sense Expresso" from, but I don't believe it's a ROM for the Optimus V. The only ROMs for the V I know are:
aospCMod
Zefie's CM7
Rodimus
Harmonia
Aphrodite
ROM Reborn
Bumblebee
(I may be leaving one or two out, well several of asadullahs ;) )

I don't think you have a custom recovery. You should have more than 4 options in recovery, if not, you need to flash a custom recovery first. What does it say at the top of the screen when you go into recovery mode?

Upvote 0
I don't know where you got "Wait That Aint Sense Expresso" from, but I don't believe it's a ROM for the Optimus V. The only ROMs for the V I know are:
aospCMod
Zefie's CM7
Rodimus
Harmonia
Aphrodite
ROM Reborn
Bumblebee
(I may be leaving one or two out, well several of asadullahs ;) )

I don't think you have a custom recovery. You should have more than 4 options in recovery, if not, you need to flash a custom recovery first. What does it say at the top of the screen when you go into recovery mode?
I got "Expresso" from the fastboot pages. I thought all those ROMs listed there were for Optimus V. On the developer's page it says only: "The rom I built this off of was a stock virgin mobile rom de-odexed with su and ro.secure turned off. I changed the shared uid and removed most everything virgin mobile branded it with."

I'm sure something was missing since before I started the recovery, for the first time. I kind of tried to put together info from a lot of incomplete tutorials and not knowing what I was doing, this is the result. :)) Although, at the very top of the screen it says: " Android system recovery" and the phone seemed to be rooted correctly, when I ran a test.

So how do I install a new recovery, please?

lI
Detect language​

Upvote 0
Ahh, Expresso must be one of the many ROMs of Asadullah, a very helpful dev, but he leaves alot of ROM projects in his dust. ;)

I would suggest you try Harmonia to begin with. It's lean, fast, and as close to stock as you can get, with all the bloatware removed.

First put your sdcard in your PC and place the Xionia recovery, and Harmonia (or another ROM) on it. The Xionia recovery should be an .img file, if it's a zip file, unzip it first. The ROM file should remain a zip file.

Now, on your PC, download and install the Java JDK, and the Android SDK. Once installed, move the Xionia img file and the ROM zip file to the Android SDK's platform-tools folder.

Next, connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it on.

Open a command window and type the following:

adb shell

If you get a $ sign, you are not rooted, let us know so we can proceed. If you get a # sign, you are rooted, continue.

Now type exit

Next type

adb push c:/PATH_TO_ANDROID_SDK/NAME_OF_XIONIA_FILE /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA_FILE
adb push c:/PATH_TO_ANDROID_SDK/NAME_OF_ROM_FILE /sdcard/NAME_OF_ROM_FILE
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_XIONIA_FILE
adb reboot recovery

Your phone should now boot into the Xionia recovery, white titles at top and bottom, and blue menu items. You navigate with the volume up/down buttons, select with the menu_key, and go back in the menus with the menu_key.

1) Select wipe cache
2) Under advanced, select wipe dalvik cache
3) Back in the main menu, choose mounts, then format boot, system, data, and cache
4) Back in the main menu, choose install from sdcard
5) Select install from sdcard (DO NOT CHOOSE TO UPDATE ANYTHING!!!)
6) Select the ROM zip file, it will take 2-5 minutes to install
7) Back in the main menu, select reboot system now

You phone should now reboot, it will take a long time, it has to rebuild all the system files, be patient. ;)

Upvote 0
Xionia is the best recovery for the "V". Harmonia is a very good first ROM(a very good ROM period!)I have 86 apps.12 on the phone because they wont work right on the sd card(widget apps don't do sd card)The rest are on the sd card. I still have 149MB left for apps . I have the "V" clocked to 600Hz-320Hz(screen on);320Hz-245Hz(screen off).Transition from screen to screen is smooth and fast,app draw is the same. Angry birds is a little better(just a little).With light phone usage(games,internet and phone calls)it went 32 hours off charger before the battery got below 21%. Still working on the moderate usage numbers(I'm experimenting with different ROM's right now,but will get back to Harmonia in a couple of days) Hope this helps you with making a Rom choice. Edit:I went 15 hours off charger-moderate to heavy usage

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great info! Again, I apologize for replying so late... What a week! Looks I'm in a time when things of the same kind start happening. I also had to fix my printer, my washing machine and the pipes from under the sink. I had to reinstall the SDK too, for some reason even that one failed to start. For the last 3 days, I've been trying to download all the packages and it's going soooooooooo slow.... with or without "force http" :) About a package a day and there may be 20 more so far. Any idea about some particular packages that I really need to download, so it won't take so long, please?

Anyway, in between the updates, I ran "adb shell" to test the phone and I DID get the # sign!!! :D
Detect language​

Upvote 0
Bummer! After not sleeping all night to reinstall SDK, I ran the first command adb push c:/path_to_xionia_etc and I get:

/sbin/sh: adb: not found :mad:

I don't know what is wrong with this SDK. When I first installed it, it worked. I also entered the adb path in the system path, correctly... The phone IS rooted...

Even more, after reinstalling the SDK, I had again trouble opening it. The first two times I tried to open the manager, only the black window opened and then shut down, by itself. I believe it's conflicting with something but I don't know what. Should I uninstall SuperOneClick? I know this one already put the adb files on my pc, in another location. Should this be the problem? :thinking:

Please, help! :)

Detect language​

Upvote 0
What file is the sdk installed to? I believe the default is something like c:/android-sdk, I have mine installed to c:/android.

To use adb, you open a command prompt, then type

cd c:/android/platform-tools

Replace android with your full path to the android sdk directory.

The adb executable is located in the platform-tools directory, so once your have used cd to get there, you can just type the commands.

Upvote 0
Hi, :)

Oh, before I entered "adb shell", not "cd"...

But now I entered cd c:/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools (my path to adb)... and I got the message :"Windows cannot find cd" :thinking:

Now I'm not sure I'm doing this right. What I do, I click start > run and then I enter the commands.

There is the black window of the sdk manager but typing into it doesn't work. I suppose it may have some use if it's there but for sure it's not useful for typing... at least on my pc.

Are there any other commands that I have to enter before cd... etc...? Or some other tweaks in the SDK instalation? My level of knowledge is .html, some .cgi and some .php. I've never run commands other than cmd, for a few times. :eek:
Detect language​

Upvote 0
Update: I found adb, by running cmd first (found this online)...

Everything worked great until I entered "adb reboot recovery". Then I got: "error: closed".

Help again, please! :)

Detect language​

Upvote 0
Not sure why you got that error, you might try again with the sdk shut down, you don't need it opened to run adb, just a command window (cmd).

Sounds like you did flash the recovery, try turning off your phone, then turning it back on by holding down home_key+volume_down+power at the same time till the LG logo goes away. You should see a black screen with white title saying Xionia and a blue menu.

Upvote 0
I tried to reopen the phone with the three buttons and I saw no change and no xionia. I mean, I got the same screen from I got after running fastboot, Android recovery mode, the list of options and underneath, Build: RA-thUnderc-1.1.0-GNM.

I tried to run the commands again, with the sdk closed and when I ran adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img, I got error: no such file or directory.

I checked the sdcard, the file IS there...

I guess it may be time for another phone. :)

Detect language​

Upvote 0
Hi,

I believe I entered the names of the files correctly, because I copied and pasted them. Now I tried these new commands you gave me and I didn't see the content of the sdcard anywhere. I am adding 2 pictures here, to see what I got on the command window and on my phone. I've been having that screen since I ran fastboot and I cannot get out of it... but anyway it is a big progress compared to what I had before fastboot. :)

Capture.jpg

IMG_20110712_173115.jpg

Detect language​

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones