• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help me. bricked phone I think?

nhoward10

Lurker
Jan 22, 2014
Okay, so I feel really dumb. I rooted my phone (Droid Bionic) yesterday and was re-installing the stock rom I believe and it shut down in the middle of it. Now when I plug in my phone it just gets stuck on the motorola logo. I believe the battery is completely dead, but when it's plugged in I can access the boot and recovery menu. I have no way of charging it to my knowledge. Is there anyway I can install stock rom or ANY rom through the "install update from internal storage" option in recovery mode?

I tried doing cm11 and I also tried the blur update package and both have aborted. I have been trying since yesterday and I am just out of ideas. If I could just get it to connect to my computer I think I could get it, but all I get is the white led light when I plug in the USB. :thinking:

Thanks for any help guys!

You're assuming that a dead battery charges in a couple of hours - it soesn't even begin to take a charge in a couple of hours.

Plug the charger in. Don't try to turn the phone on. Leave it for 24 hours.

Then see if you can boot it to download mode and install some ROM.

(BTW, leaving the phone on while "charging" it doesn't charge it, it just discharges it slower. The device is a battery charger, not an external power supply for the phone. Turn the phone off when charging - which you should do when it gets down to 50%.)

Upvote 0
I've got to chime in on this one lol

Do you have a nandroid?

If so just easily restore that from before your battery died.

I'm sorry lol but depending on the phone it can charge from 0 to 100 in 2 hours. After all my g2 charges that fast :)

As well sure if your charging via USB and computer it discharges depending how your using it lol but no it still charges if using the ac charger :)

Upvote 0
I don't believe I have Nandroid. I was dumb and didn't think to make a recovery point or download anything on my phone before attempting this. I was only worried about my stuff getting deleted off my SD card so I transferred those files to my computer. I think my battery might be completely shot from attempting so many reboots. I just get the white LED light when I plug in the USB and it seems no matter what mode (Recovery or Boot) I leave it in, it doesn't seem to charge. I even left it plugged in over night and it won't do anything unless it's plugged in to the wall.

I ordered a new battery off Ebay, so I'm hoping that might help. Thanks for all the input. Any other ideas guys?

Upvote 0
If you can boot in to recovery then your phone is not bricked. Bricked is a term used when your phone is literally about as useless as a brick meaning it will not turn on or you cannot boot into recovery or download mode. Nothing will work.

Since you didn't make a nandroid backup, in future you'll know backups are pretty crucial. We learn from mistakes I guess. Your phone shouldn't delete any of your SD card. In fact it won't even bother with it unless you have installed a custom ROM from it, but even then, it wouldn't delete any files, It would probably only corrupt the custom ROM. I'm not sure if that reassures you at all.

I would suggest waiting for the new battery to arrive, and I know that might not be easy as it could take a few days for delivery and being without a phone makes things difficult with social and work life. If the new battery replacement doesn't work, make sure you're using a good USB cable/plug. Some companies sell chargers with terrible quality, the stock ones aren't exactly great, they simply meet the Conformit

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones