• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help me... I don't understand...

Hi All, new here hope you can help?

I have an HTC Hero running 1.5

I had it working fine, but didn't like the GMail address I'd set up. I went online, managed to get a decent address and so all good so far...

Went onto the phone, cancelled my old Gmail address, and typed in username and password for the new one...

Got an error saying my SIM card wasn't set up for data, tried on the Wireless at home - still no good!!!

Read some stuff on the web, and now discover this is a problem. I therefore decided I didn't hate the old Gmail name badly enough for all this hassle, so changed the settings in the phone back to these - thinking all would then be well.....

But NO! I am still getting the same problem - my phone is now telling me "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server.

This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services, if it continues please call customer care."

Thing is - it's not the SIM card, it was working perfectly before I changed the Username for Google....

I have heard that I can hard-reset the phone and that should work, BUT if I do that I think I will lose all the APPS i've downloaded - and that would be a pain in the butt.

Can anyone therefore tell me:-

1) Can I reset the Google stuff without Hard-Resetting the phone
2) If no to above, how can I back up all the APPS I have downloaded so far in order to not have to do it again
3) Is this a Bug only of the Hero - or all Android Devices?

Thanks and I look forward to being on the forum a lot - it looks good!

G

I "sign in" using the new gmail username and password and it says "connecting to Google Server" then comes back:-

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server.

This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services, if it continues please call customer care."

However it was working fine before I changed the setting.

I have tried to put the old e-mail back in, but now get same error.

Crazy thing is - it's picking up the e-mail and google calendar stuff fine - so it IS communicating with a server, just not Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones