1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Please help me pick a screen protector for the Evo 3D!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ArmageddonX, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Which one do you think is the overall best choice?

Poll closed Oct 11, 2011.
  1. Zagg I-Shield

36.4%
  2. SGP Steinheil

36.4%
  3. Phantom Skinz

27.3%
  1. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I recently purchased two additional Evo 3D's for my Family. I'm looking for an overall opinion from the message boards as to which screen protector is the most preferred between the three options below.

1.) Zagg Invisible Shield
    HTC EVO 3D Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG

2.) SGP Steinheil Ultra Series
    SGP HTC EVO 3D Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Series - EVO 3D

3.) Phantom Skinz Optically Clear Protection
    Phantom Skinz |HTC Evo 3D

Thanks again everyone for your help. I currently have a Zagg on my Evo 3D. I'm trying to figure out if I have the best solution or if there is a better (more glass-like) alternative because from my experience the Zagg can feel a little 'rubbery' after extended use.

I did intentionally make a separate thread for this topic because I'm trying to get very specific feedback regarding my question. However, if you have a suggestion that goes above & beyond the three choices please voice your opinion.

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    SGP Ultra Crystal or Martin Fields Overlay Plus - protects you camera too.

3. Slash3040

Slash3040 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    I work at the Home Depot, need some lumber? Come a
    USA ese
    The invisishield is really nice but a pain to install. Unless you're clumsy, I recommend not even worrying about a screen protector. I understand the glass isnt scratch proof but I dont put keys and knives in my phone pocket

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I've had all three of those screen protectors. I kept the SGP Steinheil Ultra Clear. It feels like and looks like the bare glass. If applied right, you'll forget it's even on. I only notice at the top where there's a 1 mm space between the top bezel and where the screen protector starts. Cost me $12 for 2. Got it in 3 days after I ordered.

The Zagg protector cost $20 for 1 and felt a slight bit tacky, even after a week's use. I could also still notice the orange peel effect, but only when the screen was off. Got a refund for it.

PhantomSkinz were a little less tacky and I got 2 for $8. But still not smooth like the bare glass and still a very slight noticable orange peel look when the screen is off. Not a huge deal, and definitely the best bang for the buck if you're trying to get the best protection at the lowest price.

So, again, I recommend SGP's screen protector if you're going for the most 'glass-like' feel. By far the best I've used.

5. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Does the Steinheil protector scratch easily? If you hold the phone at an angle, do you see scratches on the protector itself?

I got one of the generic clear protectors from eBay, even though they feel great, they get scratched real easily.

6. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    I love the phantomskinz, they are a wet application screen protector and work great. cheaper that zagg and have less orange peel. plus the lifetime warranty is great, send old protector and 3 bucks and get 2 more

7. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    No scratches. I installed this screen protector in late July or early August, I don't remember exactly when. Has been flawless.

8. ArmageddonX

None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I'm leaning towards the SGP but wow, the poll is a dead heat!

9. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    Animation Director
    Palatine IL.
    SGP Ultra Crystal- Had this on my Evo 4g since it came out for the Evo and my GF now has this phone with the same original SGP screen protector that I installed properly. It's been over a year and can take pics tonight to give you a feel of how it looks after over a year with 2 people abusing it. But when I had it not a scratch, so I'm also interested in seeing how she's abused the phone. ;)

My 3D has SGP as does my Xoom and iPad.

10. ArmageddonX

None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I would actually really appreciate that! How difficult are they to apply? I'm leaning heavily towards the SGP Crystal at this point.

11. ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Are there any major retailers that sell the SGP Ultra Crystal Protectors, or are they exclsively sold online?

I'm not completely opposed to ordering online, because that's how I got my Seidio extended battery and case. But... I hate the whole "shipping" experience, just because I'm use to getting things as soon as I pay for them rather than a few days later. Or run the risk of it being mishandled or lost, and it takes longer to track it down.

12. jdsingle

jdsingle Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Or sand? Or anything that has a higher number than glass on the Mohs scale (I think it is like 5.5-6.5 for glass?).

As for the Invisishield being a pain to install...you spray it on the screen protector, then place on phone, then move screen protector around using the liquid between the protector and the phone to minimize friction, get it down where you want it, and then use the little card to get the liquid out. I recommend having a towel near the edges to absorb the water.

I've installed 5+ different brands on probably 15 devices and this one is by far the easiest.

13. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    Animation Director
    Palatine IL.
    Pics!

Remember this is about a year old screen protector, only one major scratch and couldn't catch the right angle, Nothing major.

Installation should only take you about 15 minutes and have patience. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

14. ArmageddonX

None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    The thing about Zagg is that certain retailers will install them for you. So for people like me who find it next to impossible to install these things its nice. If I could get a SGP Steinheil installed for me, it'd be a no brainer. That's why I was asking if the Steinheil was difficult to install.

15. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    I got 6 generics off Ebay and they're as good as anything I've used..can't even tell that it's on. Only $1.95 shipped you can't beat it.

16. Complex757

Complex757 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 10, 2009
    Professional Cell Phone User
    I'd go with the Steinhil Ultra Oleophobic. I've had it for almost three months and have had no problems, still has it's same clarity and still combating finger prints and oil.

17. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    It isn't difficult to install a screen protector. Even dry application ones. You just need to take your time and work out the air bubbles as you apply it.

18. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    That's what I have been using, the only problem with these is that they scratch easily, but you can't beat the price.

Tags: