1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root please help me root phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bensphone, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bensphone

bensphone Lurker
    None

hi can anyone please help me root my evo 4g. and help me pick a rom maybe cm-7 ? not sure

Advertisement

2. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Read the sticky in this forum. Unless you're running extremely outdated software, you will need to use the Revolutionary tool to root your phone. The instructions are fairly simple, just make sure you read the process thoroughly. If you follow the instructions, you'll be golden.

For a first time rom flash, I would highly recommend MikG 3.0. It is based off Gingerbread 2.3.3 and HTC Sense 2.1 with some Sense 3.0 stuff added in. It is truly a great ROM and IMHO the best Sense ROM out there.

I personally love CM7 (although I haven't used it in quite awhile) but if you're used to HTC's style and widgets and whatnot, moving over to CM7 can be a pretty big adjustment, because there is not HTC software installed at all, so you have to make do without it.

ocnbrze, argedion and Granite1 like this.
  3. bensphone

bensphone Lurker
    None

thanks

there is a lot of info on youtube on rooting but im scared . is there someone who can skye cast with me and walk me though it ?

4. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    It is honestly very easy. I'd back up everything from your SD card to your computer, and from there, go into Settings, Apps, and enable USB debugging. Then power down your phone, pull the battery out and write down the serial number of your phone (I think there are a couple lines...you want the one that starts with S/N or something like that. Turn your phone back on. Then go to this website

revolutionary.io

You'll need to download the revolutionary tool, the driver listed, and the superuser zip (the superuser will allow you to utilize root access apps). Connect your phone to your PC and leave it in "charge only" mode. Again, USB debugging should be enabled. Install the driver. After that, you are basically ready to run the revolutionary file and get rooted.

Following a youtube video is a good idea, just make sure it's for the Evo and uses the Revolutionary method. There are older root methods that don't work anymore.

ocnbrze, argedion and Granite1 like this.
  5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  6. MizzouBrent

None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Agreed, should have given a shoutout to OCN.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    You will not find any Rooting Guide outside of this forum that has the support, care, and all out friendliness you will find here. If you have any questions please ask you will find that this stuff is fairly simple and we are here for when the sh@T hits the fan :D

Granite1 and ocnbrze like this.
Tags: