• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help me solve 2 mysteries?

heycal

Apr 27, 2014
Hi folks, on day 9 of my new LG G2 with Verizon, after using iphone 4 for a several months before that, and an LG Lucid for 2 years previous to that.

There's a lot to love about this new phone! Wow. But also many challenges for a tech-impaired man like myself. I've figured out several of them, but a couple still remain. Can you help provide the elusive answers?

1) I set my global display to 'large' to help my aging eyes. But at least half a dozen times I've discovered it's reverted to the default 'medium' font size at some point for no apparent reason. My wallpaper has reverted to the default one a few times as well. What causes this? Can it be prevented?

2) When I'm about and about, I'll often get notifications that wifi networks have been detected nearby, and that I can tap to set-up. I never got such prompts with iPhone, and I'd love to no longer get them on the G2. Is there any way to stop them with this Verizon issue G2? I see no obvious places to do so under wi-fi settings, or even under Advanced wifi.

There are a couple of other things I can't figure out yet, but these are two big ones at the moment.

Anyone know the answers? Thanks!

I have the LG G2 t-mobile variant.

On mine its under avanced Wi-Fi.

It the first on list of options
"Notify me when an open network is available"

Thanks for responding.

On my Verizon version, the first and only option in the Notfications section under advanced Wi-Fi is "INTERNET UNVAILABLE - Disconnect wi-fi automatically when the internet is unavailable".

I've tried leaving it checked, and unchecked as it is now, but it doesn't seem to affect what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding.

On my Verizon version, the first and only option in the Notfications section under advanced Wi-Fi is "INTERNET UNVAILABLE - Disconnect wi-fi automatically when the internet is unavailable".

I've tried leaving it checked, and unchecked as it is now, but it doesn't seem to affect what I'm talking about.

I'm on Verizon too - what about this option under Advanced Wi-Fi?

"Scanning always available". I have this unchecked & I don't think I get the prompts you mention when I have wifi turned off (I'm not 100% positive though, I use wifi a lot)

Upvote 0
I'm on Verizon too - what about this option under Advanced Wi-Fi?

"Scanning always available". I have this unchecked & I don't think I get the prompts you mention when I have wifi turned off (I'm not 100% positive though, I use wifi a lot)

Thanks, but I have that one already unchecked, so that's not the culprit. Keep your eye out for the prompts, which appear in the notification area.

Is it possible that the Sprints phones have the option to disable this, but not Verizon phones? That would be a shame.

Upvote 0
Try this.
I dont have verizon so Im not really sure.

Since I'm still not sure what rooted means, i don't think that's going to go well…:) Where did you find that quote? Was there someone else somewhere unable to solve the same problem? That does not bode well...

I have Verizon. When the list appears, there should be a place at the bottom of the list that says "don't show me this again." Or something to that effect. Just saw it yesterday.

I don't see anything like that. Are you speaking of the general wi-fi settings, or under Advanced wi-fi? It's not in either place.

Or do you mean when the notification appears? If so, and if there's an option to not see again, I would think that might only apply to whatever networks was showing up at that moment, no?

• Tap and hold the WiFi notification
• Hit "App info" (or go into settings > apps > all apps > Android System)
• Tap "Force Stop" and yes to confirm

As I can see, Verizon has done this wifi issue intentionally on many phones.

This should work temporary untill you turn wifi off and back on.

Why would this be better than just turning wi-fi off? In any case, I'm looking for a permanent removal of it, not having to chase it away every day by fiddling with wi-fi on and off settings constantly.

Would Verizon do something like this intentionally? What's in it for them?

Upvote 0
• Tap and hold the WiFi notification
• Hit "App info" (or go into settings > apps > all apps > Android System)
• Tap "Force Stop" and yes to confirm

As I can see, Verizon has done this wifi issue intentionally on many phones.

This should work temporary untill you turn wifi off and back on.

Why would this be better than just turning wi-fi off? In any case, I'm looking for a permanent removal of it, not having to chase it away every day by fiddling with wi-fi on and off settings constantly.

Would Verizon do something like this intentionally? What's in it for them?

If you leave on and when you get home it automatically connects to your network. If you force stop under apps setting then you keep wifi alive without the pesky notifications.

Upvote 0
But only temporarily? I will need to do this over and over again for two years to keep shoo them away?

How often do you reboot your phone or turn off your Wifi?

In theory you will never get those pesky wifi notifications for next 2 years if you dont turn off wifi or reboot phone.:)

If you reboot or turn off wifi alot then this is not an option for you.

Since you dont want to root then this only way i found untill verizion changes the option.:)

As AMOCO mention there are other options if you root.

Upvote 0
How often do you reboot your phone or turn off your Wifi?

In theory you will never get those pesky wifi notifications for next 2 years if you dont turn off wifi or reboot phone.:)

If you reboot or turn off wifi alot then this is not an option for you.

Oh, so I'd only have to do it if I rebooted or turn off wifi? I suspect I will do both those things on a regular basis, but certainly not daily. But if I'm understanding right, I'd have to manually reconnect to my home wifi everytime I came home instead of having it go on automatically?

Upvote 0
Also, does anyone know where I might find the auto-sync button and turn it off (assuming I should turn it off, that is).

Under Battery > help > it says it's listed under "Settings>accounts&sync".

But I only have the word "accounts" under my settings on this Verizon version, which is followed by things like Google, Facebook, etc. The word "sync" is not to be found anywhere on that screen.

What I am missing here?

Upvote 0
It will still auto connect to home wifi as long as wifi is on and at home.

You will only have to reforce close option, only if you reboot or turn off wifi.

Cool. Thanks. I wil look into this. I must turn off "android system" under Application Manager? Mightn't that affect much more than just wi-fi notifictions? I would think with a forboding name like "Android system" it would do much more than that.

The other method you mentioned seemed unclear to me. (Don't see "app info" when I tap and hold wifi).

Verizon really, really, really doesn't want you using their mobile data.

Because they've charged you a certain price for it already and they can't charge you more for the increased use? I don't really get this one.

Also, while I have you smart gentlemen here, how might I turn off the 'Phone Charged' alert that sounds late at night? Don't see any obvious place to to kill off that notification.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones