• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please help me to backup or Dump my ROM for later Recovery via the Stock Bootloader

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 5 Active SM-G870A (AT&T locked bootloader) Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2, ROOTED!
No unlocked bootloader is available for the AT&T version!

Can you please help me to backup or Dump my ROM for later Recovery via the Stock Bootloader?
I have tried Titanium Backup but when I restore, a lot of settings and data are missing and I have to send hours to do it manually.

Is there a way to create an "update.zip" file which I can flash from Stock Recovery?
Or make a "myrom.tar.md5" file which I can use via ODIN?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

To back up the ROM itself you need a custom recovery. And while I don't know Samsung that well the stock recovery in general will only flash official signed zips, not one you make yourself - again, that's why custom recoveries are used for rom flashing.

Thanks for your fast answer Hadron . Since I made the mistake and purchased a device with a locked bootloader, I will have to rely on regular backup methods. As you say, I need a custom recovery to backup the ROM. I can flash stock, that works fine.

Upvote 0
With the 870a you have two ways to backup, Safestrap and Flashfire. I have made backups with both and luckily haven't had to try a restore so don't know how well either would work in a softbrick situation.

Thanks for your fast answer Jfalls63. Safestrap backup fails with: "cannot read boot.img" upon backup.
I will try Flashfire now :)

Upvote 0
Flashfire didn't even manage to do the backup :(
I am now down to a method that was described in XDA=Developers but I am having trouble identifying the blocks for Kernel, Data and Recovery. I tried DiskInfo but no luck.
Please see anclosed Excel screen shot for details.

Thanks

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones