1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

please help me to backup or Dump my ROM for later Recovery via the Stock Bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ChingghisKhan, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 5 Active SM-G870A (AT&T locked bootloader) Stock ROM KitKat 4.4.2, ROOTED!
    No unlocked bootloader is available for the AT&T version!

Can you please help me to backup or Dump my ROM for later Recovery via the Stock Bootloader?
    I have tried Titanium Backup but when I restore, a lot of settings and data are missing and I have to send hours to do it manually.

Is there a way to create an "update.zip" file which I can flash from Stock Recovery?
    Or make a "myrom.tar.md5" file which I can use via ODIN?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

To back up the ROM itself you need a custom recovery. And while I don't know Samsung that well the stock recovery in general will only flash official signed zips, not one you make yourself - again, that's why custom recoveries are used for rom flashing.

3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

With the 870a you have two ways to backup, Safestrap and Flashfire. I have made backups with both and luckily haven't had to try a restore so don't know how well either would work in a softbrick situation.

Hadron likes this.
  4. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

Thanks for your fast answer Hadron . Since I made the mistake and purchased a device with a locked bootloader, I will have to rely on regular backup methods. As you say, I need a custom recovery to backup the ROM. I can flash stock, that works fine.

5. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

Thanks for your fast answer Jfalls63. Safestrap backup fails with: "cannot read boot.img" upon backup.
    I will try Flashfire now :)

6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Do to the limits of a locked bootloader is the reason my 870a, 5.0 rooted is in the desk drawer as a backup phone.

7. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

Flashfire didn't even manage to do the backup :(
    I am now down to a method that was described in XDA=Developers but I am having trouble identifying the blocks for Kernel, Data and Recovery. I tried DiskInfo but no luck.
    Please see anclosed Excel screen shot for details.

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

9. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

I am on 4.4.2 and I want to stay on it. Maybe 4.4.2 is the problem?
    Do you know which blocks are Kernel, Data & Recovery when you look at my screenshot?

10. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

That's way over my head. Maybe ask at XDA where you found the method. Could also check in the link to the update. People there are pretty sharp on the 870a.

11. ChingghisKhan

ChingghisKhan Lurker

Thanks for the fast reply. I did ask at XDA where I found the method. Unfortunately no answer.
    Went to a bunch of other forums, no luck. Searched to PAY for help, no luck.
    I am 99% close to my goal but last bit is missing. But I am not giving up!

Jfalls63 likes this.