• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

please help me update to 2.2

hi i am new to the android system and i bought the new galaxy 5500 (galaxy 5) on the virgin mobile. and i was wondering if there was a way to update it to the new 2.2 operating system. i love the android system in my opinion it is better than the iphone and there crap lol. but i am in very big need of an update. thank you :)

hi i am new to the android system and i bought the new galaxy 5500 (galaxy 5) on the virgin mobile. and i was wondering if there was a way to update it to the new 2.2 operating system. i love the android system in my opinion it is better than the iphone and there crap lol. but i am in very big need of an update. thank you :)

Hello MoDy, and welcome to Android Forums.

Here's a little tutorial on updating your device to Froyo:

UPDATED : How To Install 2.2 Froyo on your Samsung Galaxy 5 I5500 /i5503 | iGyaan.in

Upvote 0
You should check in a subforum for your model.
hey guys...

easiest way for motafoca's 2.0.8 rom installation easy steps using windows operating system:

downloads:

1........download 2 part files of motofoca's rar file using the release link in here.
2........download adb tools from old release.
3........download adb toolbox from release.
4........download reboot fix rar file from the same link given in there.
5........download odin.exe and ops file from the link givenn in the "how to flash" tutorial.

procedure:
1........backup ur sd card data and the phone data using backup apps.
2........remove sim and sdcard.
3........put back the battery and press volumedown+center button+end call button together to enter phone download mode.
4........open odin.exe application in pc select one package,auto reboot,and protect ops options and right down corner last field has this package option where u have to uplaod the package which u extract from 2 part files.(google up how to merge split part .rar files.)

5........connect usb cable to pc.u ll get yellow highlight with active com ports number
6........now press start.
7........it will take about 6 min to download to phone n phone reboots automatically with option reboot now,wipe data bla bla bla ....select reboot now.
8........the phone reboots top froyo 2.2.
9........to wipe data/ext2 extract adb tool n then adb toolbox in same folder.press shift+right button of mouse to open cmd in the same window.
now adb is visible
10.......now its a need to make phone to enter the recovery mode it boots itself n eners recovery mode.so type recovery.bat in cmd prompt. then type make_ext2.bat which erases all phone data cache.reboot it.
11.......for app2sd just enter recovery mode n execute the script that is mentioned in the link it will partiton ur sd into 2 parts one for ext n other for data storage.
12.......for patch throo bat fix file just enter adb shell n execute reboot_fix.bat by extracting reboot_fix.rar in adbtool folder.

it reboots n its done....

ONE IMPORTANT INFO:
if u have flashed to froyo before n then trying to flash with this rom no need of hard reset but if u r flashing to this rom from eclair 2.1 u must hardreset to avoid bugs.

thanks motafoca for such a nice rom...love it n wish to see new features like flash support multitouch screen support for my galaxy 5 gt-i5500L

for link:
Main Page - MAD Team
Howto: Flash Galaxy 5 Using ODIN - MAD Team
Ext2 file system - MAD Team
App2sd script - MAD Team
http://wiki.g5devteam.com/index.php...com/index.php?title=Howto:_Hardreset_using_AD

*please use the wiki tutorial along with this step by step process.
**i am not responsible for bricking of phone but one thing i can tell u is if u messup the flashing procedure DONT PANIC :).You can always flash ur phone to the previous version of kernel.
***this is just a step by step procedure.if u keep the required file downloaded,it ll be easy for u.please feel free to post quetions if any queries....ll help u out as much as i can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones