1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Please help me

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bec01, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Bec01

Bec01 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2017
    Hi i was just wondering if u download something does it automatically sabe to ur galary? And if it doesdoes it save under different folders? Or do u have to save it yourself?

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I don't want to assume too much but since you mentioned the Gallery app if you're referring just to photos than generally most of the default apps on your S7 will use the DCIM (Digital Camera IMages) folder when saving photos. So the Gallery app and camera will automatically refer to that DCIM folder but if you're referring to downloads from your browser or your texting app you might have to manually re-direct photos to the DCIM folder when you're downloading them.

But if you're asking about files in general that gets more involved. There is a 'Music' folder that's the default place to store audio files, a 'Movies' folder for videos, and a 'Download' folder that most browsers use as their default storage place for downloaded files but it can get a little more confusing because some third-party apps are set up to store files in their own folders. Again, I'm making a presumption you're asking about photos but if not, just give us some details and hopefully we might have some insight on the matter.

3. Bec01

Bec01 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2017
    Thank you so much for ur reply. Its pictures of family and a video i want to save and i was wondering when i do download it would it just stay in my file or does it jump into galary automatically?

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK so with photos they do get stored in a folder named DCIM and videos in Movies. The Gallery app just automatically looks into those folders for any content you add to them.

I'm going to suggest you skip using that Gallery app and instead install the Google Photos app. You can use the Play Store app to install it onto your S7. If you're on a computer you can use any web browser, log into your Google account, and go here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en
    and that will access the same Google Photos page.
    You can use the Google Photos app to do the same thing as the Gallery app, manage your photo and video library but an advantage with Google Photos that Gallery does not have is it can do automatic back up and syncing of all your photos and videos into your online Google account. That back up functionality is really, really important. Don't ever assume your photos and vids can be safely stored solely on your S7, smartphones simply are not reliable enough to be used as long term storage. So install the Google Photos app and you might want to go into its Settings menu to alter things to your liking. If you have a large number of photos and videos it will probably take some time to upload everything so you might want to be sure your phone is connected to your WiFi overnight. But once that first, initial back up is done, you'll have everything backed up online. At that point you can always access your photos and vids either on your phone or on any computer by going to:
    https://photos.google.com
    Log into your Google account and you should be seeing the same image library as on your S7.

Arqum Younus, Mikestony and Jfalls63 like this.
  5. Bec01

Bec01 Lurker
    None

Sep 20, 2017
    Thank you so much that was very help ful. Have a happy rest of the day

svim and Jfalls63 like this.
  6. Arqum Younus

Arqum Younus Member
    None

Mar 20, 2017
    Male
    Thanks alot, was it was a huge help.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.