• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help Me!

Socrats

Feb 11, 2011
My aunt found out Im an agnostic, and she took my phone (captivate ) which she pays the bill for. She was hurt, or extremely confused that I don't accept her religious beliefs. She's a baptist christian and is basically oppressing me for not believing in a higher power, or supernatural deity. I don't think taking my cellphone is a logical response to the situation at hand. But can anyone give me advice? I'll greatly appreciate it .:(

Your aunt needs to respect your beliefs and choices in life. I know its frustrating as I had a few friends that made it their personal mission to save my immortal soul. You ever thought of sitting her down and explain your views on the subject. I know it can be hard as you said she was baptist. I have ran in to a few southern baptist and I can say they scare me.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help but she is holding all the cards. I mean I could suggest playing mind games and say not very christian to take my cellphone away all because I don't agree with your beliefs in god. but no Just take the higher road.

Reactions: Socrats
Upvote 0
Your aunt needs to respect your beliefs and choices in life. I know its frustrating as I had a few friends that made it their personal mission to save my immortal soul. You ever thought of sitting her down and explain your views on the subject. I know it can be hard as you said she was baptist. I have ran in to a few southern baptist and I can say they scare me.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help but she is holding all the cards. I mean I could suggest playing mind games and say not very christian to take my cellphone away all because I don't agree with your beliefs in god. but no Just take the higher road.

It's a hard conversation with her. I tried to talk to her earlier about it, she said we will read revelations. But thank you, and yes I will take the higher road.

Upvote 0
It's a hard conversation with her. I tried to talk to her earlier about it, she said we will read revelations. But thank you, and yes I will take the higher road.

Hey there Socrats :(

I am really sorry Socrats that you have had to go through this it sounds like your in for a bit of a rough ride and I really hope it is for a short time and the relationship between you and your Aunt is not permanant.

I don't mean to insult you at all with this question and it is of real and geniune concern but maybe you should get a job of 1 kind or another and save up enough Money to buy your own Android device?

If you are old enough to be employed then I highly recommend you get an income - and it does not have to be a very high income job at all, just enough to purchase your own Cell phone once you have saved up enough.

It will make you feel acomplished or proud of yourself.

Then my second bit of advice is to download the Bill of Rights / Human Rights and try your best to explain Human Rights to her. However... I really recommend you do not go to a lawyer... that could have a bad impact on the relationship between you and your Aunt espicailly if she is paying for your accommodation then sadly you might have no where to stay however sad that may be.

Never burn your bridges is a lesson I have learnt pretty well in life.

My third bit of advice is do you have any close family / friends that you can go to to get some help?

And lastly Vinsaity93 actually had very good advice and could be the best adviceof all.

When Vinsaity93 recommended telling a "white lie" it is actually very good advice.

This way you

1) don't destroy / disrupt the relationship you have with your Aunt and

2) You get your phone back.

3) Everyone is happy

Telling a white lie can do a crap load more good than bad in most situations... espicially when it falls on deaf ears.

And it sounds like your very head strong so I am sure you will make a good choice.

Keep well

Regards

Stinky

Upvote 0
Hey there Socrats :(

I am really sorry Socrats that you have had to go through this it sounds like your in for a bit of a rough ride and I really hope it is for a short time and the relationship between you and your Aunt is not permanant.

I don't mean to insult you at all with this question and it is of real and geniune concern but maybe you should get a job of 1 kind or another and save up enough Money to buy your own Android device?

If you are old enough to be employed then I highly recommend you get an income - and it does not have to be a very high income job at all, just enough to purchase your own Cell phone once you have saved up enough.

It will make you feel acomplished or proud of yourself.

Then my second bit of advice is to download the Bill of Rights / Human Rights and try your best to explain Human Rights to her. However... I really recommend you do not go to a lawyer... that could have a bad impact on the relationship between you and your Aunt espicailly if she is paying for your accommodation then sadly you might have no where to stay however sad that may be.

Never burn your bridges is a lesson I have learnt pretty well in life.

My third bit of advice is do you have any close family / friends that you can go to to get some help?

And lastly Vinsaity93 actually had very good advice and could be the best adviceof all.

When Vinsaity93 recommended telling a "white lie" it is actually very good advice.

This way you

1) don't destroy / disrupt the relationship you have with your Aunt and

2) You get your phone back.

3) Everyone is happy

Telling a white lie can do a crap load more good than bad in most situations... espicially when it falls on deaf ears.

And it sounds like your very head strong so I am sure you will make a good choice.

Keep well

Regards

Stinky

Thank you for the advice:eek: Im considering all my options.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
My aunt found out Im an agnostic, and she took my phone (captivate ) which she pays the bill for. She was hurt, or extremely confused that I don't accept her religious beliefs. She's a baptist christian and is basically oppressing me for not believing in a higher power, or supernatural deity. I don't think taking my cellphone is a logical response to the situation at hand. But can anyone give me advice? I'll greatly appreciate it .:(

I would encourage your Socrats, keep your head up. I would stop short of calling it "oppressing you". I would say your Aunt wants what is best for you because she loves you. Sadly though she is a little confused because it would appear she wants to make you believe in God which frankly is beyond her power. Granted if she pays the bill she makes the rules. But in my opinion she is giving God a bad name. Just keep in mind not everyone who believes as she does will act the same way or make the same choices. I think she really loves you more than you realize, but that may be hard for you to see. One of the greatest things about God is he lets you decide whether or not to follow Him.

Upvote 0
She gave me back the phone. The only thing that bothers me is that it's awkward being around her now.Everytime im around her I can tell she wants to question me about why I don't believe in god, or why I've given up my faith. She'll probably make me go to church more often now =\
Dont be afraid. Sit down and answer all your questions. Everyt man and woman has to find God in his or her own way. I have tried the whole religious thing and all I saw was greed and corruption and people that thought they was better than their fellow man. All the things that goes against the teachings of the bible. I have tried many different religions and still saw the same things.

Nothing says you have to go to church to worship god and to follow his teachings. All you need is a bible and the will to follow his word and live your life by his will. Jesus never taught his teachings in a church. He spoke where ever there was a mass of people wanting to hear him speak.

Sit down with your aunt and just say to her. Let me find god in my own way. Not your way as it might be right for you but it isnt the way for me. I can tell she reall loves you and thats what is clouding her judgment. She wants to keep you safe.

Upvote 0
Dont be afraid. Sit down and answer all your questions. Everyt man and woman has to find God in his or her own way. I have tried the whole religious thing and all I saw was greed and corruption and people that thought they was better than their fellow man. All the things that goes against the teachings of the bible. I have tried many different religions and still saw the same things.

Nothing says you have to go to church to worship god and to follow his teachings. All you need is a bible and the will to follow his word and live your life by his will. Jesus never taught his teachings in a church. He spoke where ever there was a mass of people wanting to hear him speak.

Sit down with your aunt and just say to her. Let me find god in my own way. Not your way as it might be right for you but it isnt the way for me. I can tell she reall loves you and thats what is clouding her judgment. She wants to keep you safe.

+ 1

Very very well said!

Hats off!

Upvote 0
+ 1

Very very well said!

Hats off!
Oh stop stinky :p. I have seen his situation countless times growing up with some of my friends. Religion was forced upon them and there was nothing to be done. I can see her side of shes only doing what she thinks is best. She fails to realize this is the one move that drives many people away from religion. Religion is suppose to be fun uplifting and not a taskmaster whipping you every time you stray from the good book.

Upvote 0
She gave me back the phone. The only thing that bothers me is that it's awkward being around her now.Everytime im around her I can tell she wants to question me about why I don't believe in god, or why I've given up my faith. She'll probably make me go to church more often now =\

You might want to remind her that even Jesus himself had a crisis of faith that he had to work out on His own.

Upvote 0
I am really sorry that your Aunt reacted that way to your choice of belief being different from hers. She is not setting a very Christian example, regarding her angry actions concerning your phone. When trying to force Christianity on anyone, you accomplish just the opposite, and then they turn farther away.
It is a really sad situation that you are in, but if you stand your ground, and get your own phone, she may come to realize that she can not force you to become anything by withholding love from you. Good luck.

Upvote 0
1285565533159.jpg

People should be allowed to believe as they wish, and do as they please with their lives. Heck, even in the armed forces you're allowed your own religion. Whether that be the church of the flying spaghetti monster, a satanist, agnostic, whatever your liking.

Upvote 0

Kinda like there is that elephant in the room huh. She probably does want to question you. She is concerned about you for one. Even if it doesn't seem that way. Apart from that it probably has nothing to do with God as often some people have a hard time understanding why someone else believes differently than they do. For example one person thinks you should discipline your kids and spanking is needed and yet another doesn't. The person who believes in discipline looks at the other person and thinks.. what is wrong with them? I know that one for sure... because it's me and it has nothing to do with God.

If she makes you go to church try to do it with an open mind fighting it is only going to make it feel worse. All churches are not the same. Some are actually fun. I grew up going to church. Moved out from my parents and stopped going for 10 or so years. I've been going for the past 6 years now. And honestly I can't really imagine life without going to church now. Seems kind of odd to say that since I've experienced it. God isn't about a church building, or doing the right thing or saying the right thing, or a denomination like Baptist or Methodist etc... God is about you and your relationship, where ever you are, every day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones