• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please help....moment or hero for me

scottbu70

Jan 17, 2010
hello all....i recently purchased a moment and am very unhappy without the led light to alert you of a missed messege. i thought id like the real keyboard plus touch screen on the moment....i do a lot of texting play no games and make calls and get email...can u please help me decide if i should switch to the hero? im just worried about the virtual keyboard..thanks!

hello all....i recently purchased a moment and am very unhappy without the led light to alert you of a missed messege. i thought id like the real keyboard plus touch screen on the moment....i do a lot of texting play no games and make calls and get email...can u please help me decide if i should switch to the hero? im just worried about the virtual keyboard..thanks!
Dude only you can decide if you want to switch.. nothing we say means anything to what you are going to be happy with.. there are tons of moment vs hero threads.. go to sprint and play with the phones

Upvote 0
IMO, the regular on screen keyboards suck. However, I have hardly used the physical keyboard since I began using shapewriter keyboard. The problem is, they pulled is off the market (except for the 30 day trial). So in about a week I will be back to using the physical keyboard. Which is fantastic, I would hate to be forced to resort to a typical on screen keyboard.
As for the LEDs, people are still working on that. I doubt it will take more than a couple more weeks for that option to come out (if not included with the 2.1 update).
You said "I thought id like the real keyboard"... do you? Have you tried using the HTC keyboard on your Moment? I don't think there's a big difference in making calls between the two, and if you do so much texting, and it's that important to you, then figure out which keyboard you like the most. In the end it's all up to your own preferences.

Upvote 0
If your decision between the two devices is based only on LED notification and physical keyboard then, a number of Moment owners have requested for an app to enable LED notification and at least one developer is looking into it. About the keyboard, sometimes I use the virtual keyboard on Moment and the biggest thing I miss is the arrow keys to position the cursor. With fat fingers moving the cursor by tapping on the screen just doesn't work for me. The only option is to use the Del[ete] key and retype the word/sentence. Also, in some apps, such taking notes, the virtual keyboard takes most of the screen space leaving only a couple of lines visible making it hard to put your thoughts down. I don't know if Hero alleviates either one of these issues.

Upvote 0
If your decision between the two devices is based only on LED notification and physical keyboard then, a number of Moment owners have requested for an app to enable LED notification and at least one developer is looking into it. About the keyboard, sometimes I use the virtual keyboard on Moment and the biggest thing I miss is the arrow keys to position the cursor. With fat fingers moving the cursor by tapping on the screen just doesn't work for me. The only option is to use the Del[ete] key and retype the word/sentence. Also, in some apps, such taking notes, the virtual keyboard takes most of the screen space leaving only a couple of lines visible making it hard to put your thoughts down. I don't know if Hero alleviates either one of these issues.

thanks so much! i the moment is a cool phone..hope they work on the LED apps...

Upvote 0
I'm helping test some notification solutions going on in the SDX forum, there's definitely progress being made... if that's the only thing bothering you about the Moment, just give it some time!

Currently my home/menu/back buttons flash when I get a SMS notification... under the right conditions. It's not reliable, but I have faith that it soon will be :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones