• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help mxq pro box

mizzmumzy

Lurker
Apr 24, 2017
I am in desperate need of some help with this android box. From what I can find out it was sent to me jailbroken and I believe there's a build on it. The seller gave me the website where he downloaded the firmware I believe but it's in Chinese. I recently went back to that website and I just noticed that there's an update and two other files dated for January 2017.
I accidentally deleted Kodi and when I go to the play store to re-download it I can't find it. I need to know if I should just do a hard reset and how to do that or if I should just try to re-add Kodi?
I also signed up for IP vanish but before I even accidentally deleted Kodi, I couldn't figure out how to go into Kody and keep the VPN on. So I'm having some big big issues I would appreciate any help at all I've included a few pics!!

Attachments

• IMG_4903.PNG
    IMG_4903.PNG
    292.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4213.JPG
    IMG_4213.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 105
I am in desperate need of some help with this android box. From what I can find out it was sent to me jailbroken and I believe there's a build on it. The seller gave me the website where he downloaded the firmware I believe but it's in Chinese. I recently went back to that website and I just noticed that there's an update and two other files dated for January 2017.

Baidu Pan, download is "下载". But I don't think you can download anything unless you're in China with Baidu. I would go back to the seller about that, maybe he can put the firmware on RapidShare or Mega.co.nz or something instead?

Has he given you any instructions on how to actually apply this firmware update, like it might need a PC.

I accidentally deleted Kodi and when I go to the play store to re-download it I can't find it. I need to know if I should just do a hard reset and how to do that or if I should just try to re-add Kodi?
I also signed up for IP vanish but before I even accidentally deleted Kodi, I couldn't figure out how to go into Kody and keep the VPN on. So I'm having some big big issues I would appreciate any help at all I've included a few pics!!

Kodi you can download and install it directly from here.
https://kodi.tv/download

The VPN is usually it's own app, so usually you start that before running anything else, like Kodi. Presumably IP Vanish has a Play Store and a direct download for their Android VPN app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I won't have any luck with the seller, since his reply to me was "I don't know, I don't do that before" after telling him the site he gave me was in Chinese. I've read that the firmware is crappy on those particular boxes.
If I go to the kodi site to download it, is there instruction on how to do it with the mxq box? This is driving me nuts! My kids are driving me even crazier without TV!!!

Upvote 0
Baidu Pan, download is "下载". But I don't think you can download anything unless you're in China with Baidu. I would go back to the seller about that, maybe he can put the firmware on RapidShare or Mega.co.nz or something instead?

Has he given you any instructions on how to actually apply this firmware update, like it might need a PC.

Kodi you can download and install it directly from here.
https://kodi.tv/download

The VPN is usually it's own app, so usually you start that before running anything else, like Kodi. Presumably IP Vanish has a Play Store and a direct download for their Android VPN app.

He hasn't given me any direction on what to do with it, he said he's never even seen it, it comes preloaded with the box when he receives it maybe?
So I tried to find kodi in play store and I had to uninstall the updates to play store before I could even search for kodi. It wasn't there when I searched for it, so I'm going to try to dl from website.
Is there anyway to take the jailbreak off? Or the build? Maybe that's why I'm having trouble?

Upvote 0
"jailbreak" is really for Apple iPhone and iPad, on Android it's called root. But to unroot it, I think you'd definitely need to reflash the original manufacturer firmware for this particular "MXQ".

But problem with these cheapo no-name Android boxes sold online from China, like MXQ, MX, M8, etc, the manufacturers are unknown, many sellers are next to useless for support. Like posting firmware on a site that will only download in China, along with no instructions. So basically I don't hold much hope, apart trying for a refund as defective. And then getting something more reputable and reliable, like a Roku box or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones