• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help! Need to decide on what phone to get by tomorrow - EPIC vs. Nexus?

DroidoGirl

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Hey guys,

I need some advice - I'm on Sprint's network, I've had the HTC Hero for a little more than a year now...and I'm so glad I can upgrade, because I absolutely HATED that phone. Sooo...tomorrow's the day I get rid of it but I'm not exactly sure what I should replace it with. You see, last year, when I bought the stupid Hero, I bought it literally a month before the EVO came out - worst decision ever. This year I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I'm not really interested in the EVO 3D which is coming out this summer...I mean okay, 3D screen, so what? So, I'm thinking about getting either the EPIC 4G (which I've had my eye on for a while now) or the NEXUS S 4G ... which one would you pick if you had the choice?

I mean the EPIC's almost 6 months old right? And...the NEXUS S is like 3 weeks? Wow...big age difference. Is the EPIC outdated nowadays within Sprint's selection of phones?

What's the main difference between the two & what would make you buy one over the other? Personally, I'm tired of touchscreen keyboards so I'm leaning towards the EPIC, but then I keep reminding myself that it's soooooo much older than the NEXUS...what should I do?

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Well, like I said, I have to make the same decision myself tomorrow. I chose the Nexus S 4G.

The reason I chose it was I really like the Vanilla Android interface. I played with a Nexus S at the store recently and it was the quickest and smoothest experience I've personally had on an Android phone yet.

Generally my advice would be that if you are the type of person who *_has_* to have a physical keyboard then the Epic is the right phone for you. If you want the quickest & newest Android updates then go with the Nexus S.

Both phones are really fantastic devices and frankly they"re very similar to each other. They are both based on the basic Samsung Galaxy S line of phones. The Epic just has that nice Physical Keyboard & SD Card slot while the Nexus S has a lighter/slimmer form-factor & the Vanilla Android experience. The Nexus has the stock Android interface and the EPIC has Samsung's TouchWize interface.

My BEST advice would to be to not listen to me or anyone else and play with both phones in-store for about 30 minutes each to decide. What's an hour of your time for a decision that you have to live with for two years?

Happy Shopping :)

Reactions: DroidoGirl
Upvote 0
Well, like I said, I have to make the same decision myself tomorrow. I chose the Nexus S 4G.

The reason I chose it was I really like the Vanilla Android interface. I played with a Nexus S at the store recently and it was the quickest and smoothest experience I've personally had on an Android phone yet.

Generally my advice would be that if you are the type of person who *_has_* to have a physical keyboard then the Epic is the right phone for you. If you want the quickest & newest Android updates then go with the Nexus S.

Both phones are really fantastic devices and frankly they"re very similar to each other. They are both based on the basic Samsung Galaxy S line of phones. The Epic just has that nice Physical Keyboard & SD Card slot while the Nexus S has a lighter/slimmer form-factor & the Vanilla Android experience. The Nexus has the stock Android interface and the EPIC has Samsung's TouchWize interface.

My BEST advice would to be to play with both phones in-store for about 30 minutes each to decide. What's an hour of your time for a decision that you have to live with for two years?

Happy Shopping :)

Could you explain a little bit more about their interfaces & how they're different from one another? You stated that you like the "Vanilla Android interface" on the Nexus...what's that? And what does the Epic have in comparison to that? Same thing for "The Nexus has the stock Android interface" vs. "the EPIC has Samsung's TouchWize interface" What are the major differences between their interfaces?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I agree w/ Armageddon. If you have to have the physical keyboard, go for the Epic. Personally, I'd say the slimmer form factor, Vanilla Android interface, and access to the latest Android OS edge out the Epic's offering. That said, I don't think you can really "lose" here as they're both great phones. As was suggested above, play with them in the store first. At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference!

- David Z.

Upvote 0
Could you explain a little bit more about their interfaces & how they're different from one another? You stated that you like the "Vanilla Android interface" on the Nexus...what's that? And what does the Epic have in comparison to that? Same thing for "The Nexus has the stock Android interface" vs. "the EPIC has Samsung's TouchWize interface" What are the major differences between their interfaces?

Thanks again!
Well, all Android phones run an Operating System. Usually it's a version like "Android 2.1" or Android "2.3".

Now over these Operating Systems there is an interface places on top. Sort of like a "mask" that manufacturers like Samsung place over Android in an attempt to make it more user friendly.

So while a Vanilla Android experience might be likened to Vanilla Ice Cream. Simple, but pure & useful for its purpose. Same for a "stock" Android Interface. Basically, it's Android without an Interface "mask" put over it. A manufacturer's Interface might be a different or more complex flavor. Not worse or better than Vanilla, but just different and more complicated.

Does that make sense? So with the Nexus S you're getting an unadulterated & unaltered version of pure Android as an Operating System. While with the EPIC you will be getting Samsung's "TouchWiz" Interface or "Mask" that is Samsung's attempt to make Android more user friendly. It's very similar to applying a theme on a Windows computer. It just changes how certain things work and their appearance.

While this can sound like a good change some Android users dislike different interfaces. For instance, MotoBlur (which is Motorola's UI* User Interface) is generally disliked by the public because it slows down Android as an Operating System. Sort of like a Windows theme having too many icons on the desktop and slowing your computer down or making it more complicated to use. Some people on the other hand like the UI's and prefer to stick with one or another.
I was reading through one of the threads posted above...and it mentioned the Samsung Galaxy S II....is that phone coming out for Sprint any time soon?
The Samsung Galaxy SII (2) is set to release this Fall or Winter on Sprint under the "Code" name "Samsung Within".

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy SII (2) is set to release this Fall or Winter on Sprint under the "Code" name "Samsung Within".

If you had a phone that you hated (HTC Hero)...would you wait for the Galaxy SII to be released or get an Epic or a Nexus tomorrow?

Also, does the Epic's "Mask" slow it down like you said Motoblur on Motorola's devices does?

Edit: Are there any other devices in Sprint's selections of phones that you would consider buying (other than the Nexus and the Epic)? How about the EVO or the EVO Shift?

Upvote 0
If you had a phone that you hated (HTC Hero)...would you wait for the Galaxy SII to be released or get an Epic or a Nexus tomorrow?

Also, does the Epic's "Mask" slow it down like you said Motoblur on Motorola's devices does?
If I had a working phone (which I don't) and I thought I could wait until as late as December for a new phone; I would wait for the SGSII. Even if I hated the phone (as long as it worked) I would wait if I thought I could make it.

The Epic uses Samsung "TouchWiz" interface. I like TouchWiz personally. It's not going to "slow" the phone down to where you go "Ohh man this is so slow!" but the Vanilla Android experience on the Nexus S will irrevocably be faster if even by the smallest fraction on two equally powered devices like the Epic & Nexus.

Edit: Are there any other devices in Sprint's selections of phones that you would consider buying (other than the Nexus and the Epic)? How about the EVO or the EVO Shift?
I really like the Super AMOLED displays on the Samsung Epic & Nexus S phones. However if I was willing to buy a phone with an LCD I would wait for the Evo3D which is coming out (probably) by the end of June. It'll have comparable speed to the SGSII and also have glass-free 3D. Pretty awesome if you can live without the AMOLED screen displays.

If you're not into the 3D thing, the Motorola Photon is set to be announced soon and it's expected also to be a pretty awesome phone. Maybe a July or August release? Nobody really knows.

As far as the Evo and the Evo Shift go; they are both wonderful devices. However personally I wouldn't see a reason to get an Evo right now with the release of the 3D imminently unless you really *just can't wait*.

Reactions: DroidoGirl
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help! For now, I think I'm going towards the Epic.

Oh wait, one last thing - you know when I asked you

Are there any other devices in Sprint's selections of phones that you would consider buying (other than the Nexus and the Epic)? How about the EVO or the EVO Shift?

I was mainly asking if you would add any other phones that are currently out on Sprint that you would add to the queue (not phones coming out in the future).

Upvote 0
Like I said, I have no purchased my phone yet. I won't be able to tell you until I buy one.

I wouldn't consider a non-4G phone. Any 4G phone Sprint currently has in their lineup is a nice device.

EDIT: Honestly both phones are fantastic... but if you have a doubt in the signal quality of the Nexus you're going to have to decide that on your own just like I am having to decide now too. =(

Upvote 0
Personally I would go with the Nexus S. I feel it is so much better than the Android v2.1 (stock Epic) or 2.2 (upgraded Epic).

Reception issues. The ones I see maybe problems on the network side, not the phone. I'm not with Sprint and I'm using 3G GSM/UMTS, but I experienced a fall off in reception and data speeds soon after I bought the phone. Then suddenly one day, the issues are gone and the reception and data speeds are very fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones