• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PLEASE HELP! Need To Transfer .apk 's to system/app and STUCK

hey i am a droid 3 user and recently rooted it for the second time. i am relatively new to this, and i need some serious help. it started off with me being stupid and uninstalling yahoo contacts, which causes the problem of contacts.provider force closing. so with titanium i unistalled that thinking i could reinstall it. i, of course, lost all my numbers, and my system wont let me reinstall that or google services framework. im not sure how to exactly transfer the .apk file to my system/app, but i have tried using copy/paste and then installing it from there. i always get the application not installed error using root explorer. what should i do? what should i try? i've been researching for hours, and my phone can't do much. is it a problem with permissions? how should i do this correctly? :thinking:

You may want to SBF back to stock and start over. Assuming that you accepted the recent OTA to the 906 system version, your best bet is to look at this thread: [6-7-2012] .906 to .890 SBF *UPDATED* - xda-developers

And, as you learned the hard way, Titanium Backup (which is a great app) does not backup system apps like it backs up user-installed apps - it just backs up the data, assuming that the system apps will remain in place. See this FAQ from Titanium Backup: Titanium Backup Technical FAQ | Titanium Track

If you want to remove apps, the best thing is probably to use Titanium to freeze the apps. If you have Safestrap or Clockwork Recovery installed, you can also create a Nandroid backup just prior to removing apps, so you can restore if you find yourself with a problem.

Good luck.

Reactions: bitchindroid
Upvote 0
hey i am a droid 3 user and recently rooted it for the second time. i am relatively new to this, and i need some serious help. it started off with me being stupid and uninstalling yahoo contacts, which causes the problem of contacts.provider force closing. so with titanium i unistalled that thinking i could reinstall it. i, of course, lost all my numbers, and my system wont let me reinstall that or google services framework. im not sure how to exactly transfer the .apk file to my system/app, but i have tried using copy/paste and then installing it from there. i always get the application not installed error using root explorer. what should i do? what should i try? i've been researching for hours, and my phone can't do much. is it a problem with permissions? how should i do this correctly? :thinking:

By the way, I'm really rusty on all this - it's been a long, long time and another phone since I've tried moving apps using Root Explorer or adb - but after you move the apps to /system/app, are you changing permissions to 644? (Or, owner read and write, group read, others read).

Reactions: bitchindroid
Upvote 0
What is SBF and ODB or whatever and 906 system? So is there a way i can get the .apk to system apps? My play store suddenly started working again btw. What would happem if i did a system restore? What would it remove? What could i backup and reinstall? What is adb? Sorry im just super mew and stuid.

An SBF file is a file in a particular format that allows you to use a tool called RSDLite to restore your phone to a factory-fresh, unrooted state, with all apps installed in /system/app as they ship. ADB is a part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK); it allows you to use a command prompt (in Windows) or a terminal (in Linux or MacOS) to communicate at a command level with your phone.

Never mind all of that - first, did you install the over the air update that came out last month? Or, a better question - go into settings->about phone - what is the "system version"? From that somebody can tell you the files that you need in order to restore your phone to stock. You can root again from there.

(Those of us who have used Android phones for a long time had to learn many of these things just to root the phone. One of the issues with it being so easy to root these days is that it is frequently not so easy to recover if there is a problem, and there are rarely cookie-cutter, simple instructions to follow.)

Anyway, no big deal - what is the system version on your phone? From that, it should be easier to suggest a next step.

Upvote 0
An SBF file is a file in a particular format that allows you to use a tool called RSDLite to restore your phone to a factory-fresh, unrooted state, with all apps installed in /system/app as they ship. ADB is a part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK); it allows you to use a command prompt (in Windows) or a terminal (in Linux or MacOS) to communicate at a command level with your phone.

Never mind all of that - first, did you install the over the air update that came out last month? Or, a better question - go into settings->about phone - what is the "system version"? From that somebody can tell you the files that you need in order to restore your phone to stock. You can root again from there.

(Those of us who have used Android phones for a long time had to learn many of these things just to root the phone. One of the issues with it being so easy to root these days is that it is frequently not so easy to recover if there is a problem, and there are rarely cookie-cutter, simple instructions to follow.)

Anyway, no big deal - what is the system version on your phone? From that, it should be easier to suggest a next step.
5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US is my system version. with factory reset, what am i able to backup so i can have all my junk still on there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones