• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please Help- Need to Unroot-back to STOCK

jumpman2012

Jun 3, 2011
Hey guys,

I have a sprint htc hero that needs to go back to stock rom ASAP. (the rom the phone comes with out of the box)

Easiest method possible please. I tried using the RSS method by connecting the hero to the PC but I kept getting an error from the ARUwizard.

Im all out of ideas. Please help guys

Hey guys,

I have a sprint htc hero that needs to go back to stock rom ASAP. (the rom the phone comes with out of the box)

Easiest method possible please. I tried using the RSS method by connecting the hero to the PC but I kept getting an error from the ARUwizard.

Im all out of ideas. Please help guys

Its error 180: PPST unsupported error message im getting.

Even tried the method of putting HECIMG file and its not loading. this is so frustrating!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Your loosing me, are you able to get into HBoot ??

Yes i tried that. NO GO! I have cm6 (clockwork recovery) and it doesnt seem to be able to read it.

Ive tried everything.

Is there a stock rom anywehre that I an just throw on my sd card and flash to my device using clockwork recovery?(cm6)

Upvote 0
Open Rom Manager and flash recovery again, and then let me know if it says successful

yes. I hold down volume down and power. goes to hboot. tried to load the zip u mentioned above but fails. gives me an error message. i go to the clockwork recovery screen try to load it manually via from read from sd card option. its not able to load it

Upvote 0
No the App called ROM Manager, open your app tray and look for Rom Manager, once open the first item is a recovery image, click that and flash, it should say Hero CDMA and then successful, I am assuming your hero is a CDMA phone, just checking to make sure

when u say rom manager, do u mean the app on the phone? or by holding volume down and power when phone powered off?

Upvote 0
No the App called ROM Manager, open your app tray and look for Rom Manager, once open the first item is a recovery image, click that and flash, it should say Hero CDMA and then successful, I am assuming your hero is a CDMA on, just checking to make sure

yea its cdma hero. but again, i dont have any image on the sd card.

i think i am screwed.

Upvote 0
Bro, listen to what I am saying, do you have the app Rom Manager in your app tray ?? If not go to the market and download Rom Manager, and report back

i have it in my apps yes.

i plugged in a sd card right now so it would let me open rom manager. what do i do now? should i do flash clockwordmod recovery? will my phone be bricked if that fails?

Upvote 0
Open RM and click on flash Clockworkmod Recovery, let me know once successful

gives me error message: "error while downloading from server" please make you have stable internet connection." and ur sd card inserted and has free space".

:(

The phone is not activated. should i try to setup my wifi?

why is this so damn hard? it took me five secs to root. unrooting is such a pain

Upvote 0
Wait a sec, you said your phone was rooted and you wanted to flash back the original RUU, you did not mention it was not activated, yes, connect to wifi, what Rom do you have on that phone, and are you using the original SD card that came with the phone, as that will have files that you need on there. You will also not be able to download anything from the market if you phone is not activated. If your phone is properly rooted and you have the proper SD card and you have the latest version of Rom Manager,there is no reason why you cannot flash the recovery image.

gives me error message: "error while downloading from server" please make you have stable internet connection." and ur sd card inserted and has free space".

:(

The phone is not activated. should i try to setup my wifi?

Upvote 0
Wait a sec, you said your phone was rooted and you wanted to flash back the original RUU, you did not mention it was not activated, yes, connect to wifi, what Rom do you have on that phone, and are you using the original SD card that came with the phone, as that will have files that you need on there. You will also not be able to download anything from the market if you phone is not activated. If your phone is properly rooted and you have the proper SD card and you have the latest version of Rom Manager,there is no reason why you cannot flash the recovery image.

hey man thanks for the help. but the issue is that the ORIGINAL memory card was erased. the phone is rooted. rom info: cyanogen Mod 6.0.0- Heroc

so i think im screwed then right?

Upvote 0
I do not think you will be able to flash the RUU without the files needed on the SD card, you can try but I doubt it. I am sure someone else will chime in, sorry gave you my best shot. You can check on the Sprint website on HTC and see if you are able to download the files that are need for your SD card, you can also call Sprint even though you are not activated with them, and tell them you want to sell your phone to a Sprint customer, but your SD card got wipe, and ask them where can you download the files needed for your phone.

My suspicion is that your recovery got fooked, and now since you are not activated you cannot flash the proper recovery image because you cannot download the latest Rom manager.

Try this, open RM again and scroll to the bottom and try flashing the alternative recovery image, make sure you have a SD card in the phone,then if it allows you to do that let me know

hey man thanks for the help. but the issue is that the ORIGINAL memory card was erased. the phone is rooted. rom info: cyanogen Mod 6.0.0- Heroc

so i think im screwed then right?

Upvote 0
The problem I think he is having is that he does not have a proper recovery image

Remember, as DonB said, you are not actually going into recovery to flash the RUU .zip file. You have to go into HBOOT to do it.

Be sure to follow the instructions in the link DonB gave you. Make sure the RUU .zip file is on the root of your microSD card as well.

Upvote 0
Yep, but his SD card is also wiped, wondering if he forgot to rename the file to Hercimg.zip, and he may not have put the file on his SD card, since he said he didn't have a card in the phone

I guess he could sideload ROM Manager and then flash ClockworkMod Recovery. I hope he can figure it out.

Upvote 0
Yep, but his SD card is also wiped, wondering if he forgot to rename the file to Hercimg.zip, and he may not have put the file on his SD card, since he said he didn't have a card in the phone

Yeah, not having the microSD card in the handset would certainly put a damper on him being able to flash the RUU .zip. Haha. :D

If he just follows the instructions from the link your provided, all will be well. Hopefully he does. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones