• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help: Note 2 came with different stylus; different parts inside, doesn't work correctly

Everyone in my house recently switched over to the Galaxy Note 2. We love the phones, but for some reason, I got stuck with a defective s-pen.

My stylus doesn't do the same basic functions as the others, such as screen capture, quick commands, etc. Further, it can do things the other pens can't, such as swipe between screens while hovering an inch above the glass and open apps, links, etc. by clicking the pen button while hovering an inch above the glass.

I love the bonus features, but the lack of basic features makes it unusable. After some research, I found all the guides to adjusting the potentiometer. I popped the button off the s-pen to adjust the little screw...and it's not there!

I can't post links or pics because I'm a newb, but if you copy and paste imgur.com/a/KUKFM, you'll see the difference between my pen and a normal pen. I even popped open all the other pens in the house, and they look normal. Mine is the only one that is missing the adjustable parts.

So...any help? Has anyone run into this before? Is there any way to fix this?

I'm guessing that I can't swap this out via warranty now that I popped it open, so any help fixing is much appreciated!

Normal s-pen, with adjustable potentiometer.
Unfortunately, this isn't from a Galaxy Note 2. I just grabbed it from an article about s-pens in general, so it doesn't have the white tip. Just ignore the tip and look at the insides and note that it has the normal little screw things that can be adjusted
7e0afd1.jpg

=============
My s-pen. Nothing to adjust. Just 2 little metal squares.
lDVhR8Y.jpg

Not sure how you get the cover off, but my pen has a white tip, like the second photo.
I'm on my fourth Note II, so have a couple spare pens if you need one, let me know.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more detailed. The 1st picture is just one I grabbed from an online article about fixing s-pens. It's not from a Note 2.

It's just there to highlight that the insides of mine look different from other s-pens. All the other pens in my house have insides that look just like the top one: they have little dials that can be adjusted. Mine just has two little metal squares that just sit there and glare at me defiantly.

Thanks for the offer on the extra pen. I might take you up on it if no one has any thoughts on fixing. I really am hoping I can come up with a way to have the best of both worlds: super powers like opening links without even touching the screen as well as standard things like screen capture. However, I bet I'm out of luck.

Upvote 0
@Deputy
Fixed and edited in your images to make it easier :)

Thanks!

Is there a better category for me to post this under? I was really surprised that the actual hardware in my pen is different, but the responses so far don't quite address that topic.

Or maybe I'm just doing a poor job of describing the issue?

I have three Galaxy Note 2's. Two of them have S-Pens that work perfectly and have insides exactly like what I've seen in all other pictures/guides/forums I've seen (little dials for potentiometer). One of them doesn't perform basic functions, has new functions I've never heard of, and the insides are completely different from everything I've seen elsewhere (little metal squares instead of potentiometer dials).

I'm new to the Android/Galaxy world, and I'd love to fix this without having to try to send it in or exchange it. Beyond that, I'm even curious just to figure out what is going on, as the extra features are actually pretty cool.

Any recommendations on where I could post this for better results?

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Is there a better category for me to post this under? I was really surprised that the actual hardware in my pen is different, but the responses so far don't quite address that topic.

Or maybe I'm just doing a poor job of describing the issue?

I have three Galaxy Note 2's. Two of them have S-Pens that work perfectly and have insides exactly like what I've seen in all other pictures/guides/forums I've seen (little dials for potentiometer). One of them doesn't perform basic functions, has new functions I've never heard of, and the insides are completely different from everything I've seen elsewhere (little metal squares instead of potentiometer dials).

I'm new to the Android/Galaxy world, and I'd love to fix this without having to try to send it in or exchange it. Beyond that, I'm even curious just to figure out what is going on, as the extra features are actually pretty cool.

Any recommendations on where I could post this for better results?

Well, I think you have posted in the correct forum as your issue addresses the S-pen for the Note 2.
Of the 3 Note 2's you have, one pen is different and acts differently than the other 2....which is kind of odd imo ;)

Let me see if I can get more eyes on this :)

Edit: perhaps tonight I'll steal my wife's S-pen and look at it...she has the Note 2 also :)

Upvote 0
I wonder what tube wonders. Were these all purchased new? Were all of the box seals in tact (you may not be able to answer this it they activated in the store as the tend to just open the boxes on their own). Was it potentially a returned phone with an aftermarket s-pen. These are just some of the questions that have popped into my head seeing you received two one way, and one another.:thinking::dontknow:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones