1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Please help overclock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by -Ax-, Mar 2, 2011.

1. -Ax-

-Ax- Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Topeka KS
    I've got a general knowledge of this, but not sure of some specifics. I have Set cpu and the highest I can clock is 1113mhz. Oh, and I'm running CM7. My question is, how can I go higher? New kernel? What kernel am I on now?

thanks

Advertisement

2. -Ax-

-Ax- Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Topeka KS
    Sorry, I thought I stuck this in the all things root board.. :/

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    Moved for ya! :)

4. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    You will need a new kernel to go higher, if you want to see which one you are on now it should be in settings>about phone. Sorry i can't suggest any for you I'm not that familiar with AOSP kernels.

5. WarDamnEagle09

None

Jun 25, 2010
    Sys Ops Mngr
    Arlington, VA
    I'm using a 2.6.37 SavageZen 0.0.9-BFS-HAVS-WiMAX-GB+ on CM7 it goes to 1190400, some go higher.

However, I've installed some kernels that went higher, I set it higher and checked "Set on Boot" and ended up in a loop where once Set CPU loaded it couldn't handle it and rebooted over and over.... until finally I was fast enough to open Set CPU before it set the CPU so high, and move the CPU lower. Sooo... careful.

I would search CM's website forum and xda to see what people are using. They recommend a bunch, don't remember how I landed on this SavageZen one but someone convinced me and I've been very happy with it.

Happy Flashing.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    How is your phone actually running right now? If you flash a kernel that allows you to go higher, likely, you won't notice a huge difference between what you're overclocking to now, and what you'll be able to overclock to after. If your phone is running smoothly now, you might want to keep that in mind.

Also, a quick fyi on the bootloop issue due to leaving "set at boot" enabled. You should most definitely uncheck that option before testing the frequency max, as you can easily end up in a bootloop. I've even made that mistake before (more than once :(). Anyway, there *is* a fairly quick way out of it. Just boot into recovery, connect your phone to your computer, and mount the sdcard to your computer. Create a file named setcpu_safemode (it can be empty), and copy it to the root of your sdcard. It's basically just a flag file. That means that when the boots up, before the setcpu settings take effect, it will see that file, and disable your custom settings, preventing the phone from locking up.

evomattnc, ocnbrze and WarDamnEagle09 like this.
  7. -Ax-

-Ax- Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Topeka KS
    The phone runs pretty well at 1113mhz. although scrolling between home screens gets glitchy at times. I would greatly appreciate anyone willing to guide me thru flashing a new kernel. I can give you my number if that works better..

Tags: