1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Please Help! Phone Reset For No Reason, Says Please Use Owners Account. How Do I Re install Android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Supernoob123, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    Friday I heard my phone reset while i was working, i dont know why. I have to have a phone for work,whats the easiest way to fix?

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Need more information, did you buy the phone new or used?

3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    "please use owner's account" sounds like factory reset protection. If so you should just need to log in with the same primary Google account you used before the reset.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  4. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    Bought
    Bought brand new, only used one gmail acct. Already Consulted google. I believe my device to be hijacked.

5. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    Have only had one user acct, as device was new. It even shows my device signed in in my gmail. ?????

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    And it isn't accepting that password I assume (reasonable assumption, but you've not actually said so can't be certain).

What did Google say when you contacted them? Personally I'd say the device being hijacked and then reset is unlikely (what does anyone gain from that, and anyway that wouldn't stop the password working). Your Google account is more likely to be hijacked than the phone itself, but I'd be wary of changing the password until you are back into the phone (if factory reset protection has been triggered you could face a 24 hour timeout if you change the password). Do you have 2 factor authentication enabled for the Google account? It's much easier to hijack the account if you do not.

I might add that nothing you've said so far suggests to me that anything has been hijacked rather than there being a glitch. If you could no longer log into your Google account that would be a different matter, but presumably Google checked for unauthorised account access when you spoke to them?

Dannydet likes this.
  7. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    When i contacted google They told me about the 24 hour lock out possibility. Wouldnt the out of the blue reset (phone was fully opertional prior to me hearing the straight talk ding in my pocket alerting me) is there any way possible to get around the google situation?

8. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    Wouldnt the out of the blue reset signify hiacking? please give me some options to fix the phone, or ask me any questions that will help you to fix my issue. i am about as dumbfounded as one can possibly be. lol. thank you to everyone helping me, as i am a super noob.

9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If you want to check your Google accounts recent activity, try logging into your gmail using a computer:
    https://mail.google.com
    Scroll to the very bottom in the bottom right corner is a small 'Details' link. Click on that link and box should pop up that will have details of the recent activity to your account. If there is something listed there, you can log them out from there, and then the first thing you need to do is reset your password.
    You can also check on which devices are currently tied to your account by going here:
    https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity?pli=1

Such a random Factory Reset 'could' indicate someone had maliciously hacked into your account, but from what you've described that's still just supposition, and without more proof and a lot more details on what was going at the time you probably shouldn't just assume that's indeed what did occur. But at this point if your phone is running OK after the Factory Reset, and you didn't have any backups of the personal data stored on your phone, there isn't much more you can do except restore what you can from your online email account (hopefully your email, contacts, calendar info is safe), any online storage services you use (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.), and whatever social media services (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) you rely on. Restoring everything you've lost isn't a trivial task, an easily reversible Factory Reset function would be of much use to anyone. Backups are important so if you din't have a backup solution in place now is the time to implement one. If you still suspect someone maliciously did this, you might also want to change ALL your passwords as so many online services link themselves to other online services out of convenience to the user. Convenience is nice but it also creates a security issue to all the services chained to each other.

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You haven't outright said what the current status is. Most of your posts suggest that you are locked-out, but then you say it is shown as signed-in to Google which would suggest that you have got back in. So could you clarify exactly what the status of the phone is?

As said above, a spontaneous reset could be caused by a hack but it could also be caused by some other problem. It's just supposition at this point. The important thing is to get back into the device, then change your password and properly secure your account as a precaution.

11. Supernoob123

Supernoob123 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    Thank you for this information. I can access the Gmail acct, which is the only one ever used for the phone. in my gmail it shows where i signed in from the phone, even though it shows the phone as being signed in, the phone still says "Please log in using owners account" or something similar, I cant remember at this point.Can the phone be fixed? I am the ONLY owner of the phone. only had it a month.

12. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Hadron likes this.