• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help problems gtI-i900

wj2075

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
Hi All,

I am so sorry to post what is probably a very annoying thread for all you android gurus here. I hope that one of you will be able to help me with the problems I am experiencing with my phone.

Phone Info:

Model: GT I9000
Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband: I9000bujs1
kernel: 2.6.32.9, root@dell104#1
Build: Froyo.bujs3
CSC: 190009GATLJS2

Problem:
I live in Spain and have Vodafone. I went to the store for a second time to fix the problem, but they were no help at all. Plus, with my bad Spanish it is dificult for the salesperson to understand the problems. In fact, they told me since it is August vacation, the best thing for me to do was search youtube tutorials for "new rom" and do it on my own!!!

Anyway, after Android Market switched to Google Play, I noticed problems with my phone.
  • Constantly receiving Force Close error messages of some programs this started around May/June. Since the past week, the problems have worsened.
  • The phone turns off by itself although there is full battery. Usually screen goes black, but two buttons on the bottom are illuminated.
  • When phone turned off & when I turned it back on all data (log, contacts, msgs, images, settings) were lost
  • Also, the home button was not working when I turned it back on.
  • I performed a factory reset and restored my backup data.
  • After a few hours of factory reset, phone turned off again.
  • This happens every day for the past week and a half. And I have done many factory resets.

Is there some sort of firmware/software or whatever that I can upgrade that will help with this problem? I know that I have froyo and there seems to be new versions, but I get totally confused reading all these forums or android sites.

Please let me know if you need any information. Ideally, I'd love for someone to point me in the direction of a simple tutorial or the steps I need to upgrade.

Welcome to AF wj2075.:)

You not annoying us at all. We enjoy helping folks out. Sounds like you have done your research and have done much of what I would have recommended. One thing try is a factory reset without restoring a backup to see if something in your backup is hung. Other than that, you may have defective hardware.

Upvote 0
Thanks Unforgiven!

I have tried a reset without performing a backup and still had problems. I will try again to double check. I have done resetting so many times, it is hard to keep track!

Thanks,
Jennifer

No problem, let me know how you make out. I'm not familiar with the S2, more of a general Android guy. I may ask some other folks to check in if you continue to have difficulties or want to try rooting it and install a custom rom. I just wanted to welcome you, let you know your question was seen, and offer what I could for advice.

Good luck,
Pup

Upvote 0
Thanks so much!

I just did another factory reset, using the keypad code *2767*3855#. When I went to change the language to english, I received an error msg - force close b/c android.process. I always get lots of these android process msgs.

Thanks for your help! I love my android phone and hope I can get it working smoothly again. At least I am learning a ton in the process!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum Jennifer, I've moved your thread to the Samsung Galaxy forum.

There's a chance that the problems are firmware related so an update to gingerbread may help.
You can download the latest firmware from here
SamMobile Firmware Page

If you want to keep your phone branded to Vodafone go for the Australia release. If you don't mind unbranding go for the Italy release. It won't matter that the firmware is from a different country, it will be compatible.

When you have downloaded your firmware install using the instructions in post number 2 of this thread.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/192368-faq-giant-faq-read-first-last-upated-20-11-10-a.html

Once you have updated your firmware perform one last reset to remove any traces of froyo and hopefully you'll be good

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Thanks Shotgun84,

I haven't yet tried your options b/c now I am receiving an error msg that the "Internal SD card has been unexpectedly removed." I have not done this though.

This makes me suspicious that perhaps something more serious is damaged?? Should I continue with the gingerbread update? Or should I just push Vodafone to send the phone back to Samsung? If the phone is out of warranty, is this something I could fix on my own?

Thanks all!
Jennifer

Upvote 0
Sorry... but how come 2.6 is Froyo? Thought is was always gingerbread? Did someone flash something they shouldn't have? Is the phone second hand?

Thanks Russell,
I am totally clueless about the 2.6 being Froyo or Gingerbread. And I definitely don't know how to flash the phone (but I am sure it isn't as adventurous as it sounds - ha!). This is what is listed on my phone when I check the specs. The phone was brand new (unless Vodafone was selling used phones packaged as if brand new, which I wouldn't put past some stores in Spain!). I got the phone in July 2011, it says it was made in Jan 2011. I haven't ever added other firmware myself.

Thanks, Jennifer

Model: GT I9000
Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband: I9000bujs1
kernel: 2.6.32.9, root@dell104#1
Build: Froyo.bujs3
CSC: 190009GATLJS2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones