• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please Help!!! Voicemail Issues!!!

metroff1

Lurker
Apr 10, 2010
I'm having some serious problems and I am hoping that you can help. I have a rooted EVO with Unrevoked. I only did it for the wireless tethering and have the stock HTC Sense ROM.

My problem is with my voicemail. Ever since the update that Sprint did for the voicemail, my visual voicemail has not been working. When I get a voicemail it tells me that the visual voicemail cannot be downloaded. The only way that I can access the VM is by the traditional means of calling over the phone. However, I get an icon in the notification bar that says I have a voicemail pending and even after checking and deleting the voicemail I cannot get rid of the icon. I called Sprint and they were able to clear my voicemail so that after a battery pull and reset the icon will go away, however I have to do this after every voicemail that I receive or the icon in my notificaiton tray will not go away.

I called Sprint and they tried to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling my voicemail. Now I have NO VOICEMAIL. When someone calls me, the line rings and then just gets a busy tone and disconnects. Sprint's technical support solution is to do a hard reset on my phone, they also state that the problem is with my provisioning. However on top of not having voicemail I cannot access the market and my phone is acting wonky.
  • If I allow them to do a hard reset on my phone will it damage my phone since I am rooted?
  • Do I have to unroot before doing a hard reset?
  • Is anyone else having these issues with their voicemail after the updates?
As I stated in the beginning I only rooted for the tethering, I really don't understand how to flash ROMS or how rooting really works. I wish now that I never rooted, but I'm stuck and I'm really at a loss for what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the rooted ROM, make sure you put back the "Sprint updater" app in order to download this new Voicemail application. Otherwise, you can try to install the APK package directly via adb command. Search the xda-developer website, I am pretty sure there is a voicemail apk floating around there.

Upvote 0
Do you know how to get to the recovery part of the rooting? If so, use this link.

Has anyone gotten the VVM update - Page 4 - xda-developers

There is a zip file in there. Get root explorer on the market. Delete from system/app the sprint VVM apk. Once deleted, go into the recovery mode the root allows you to do, and install from zip that voicemail.zip file. Problem should be solved.

Reactions: metroff1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones