• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help with charging issues

Okay So I have used this site for reliable help for quite some time with things I couldn't figure out. Now my phone is acting completely strange and I have no idea what to do. I went on a trip to Tennessee and the last night I was there my phone kept charging then not charging over and over followed by a message saying voltage too high Pausing charging with a flashing battery. I didn't think it was a big deal and simply put it back on the charger and went to sleep. When I woke up my phone was dead and I couldn't get it to charge.. At the time I was busy and couldn't mess with it. That night when I got back home I messed with my cable while it was off until it finally charged with my cable wrapped around my phone so that it was tightly pulled. Now today it won't even charge without me taking the part that connects to my port and pushing it in and up. It isn't the charger because I have tried multiple ones, and also my cable charged my mom and step dads phone.. I don't think it is my usb port because I have inspected it very closely and even cleaned it out and there is nothing noticeably wrong or out of place. I also have a feeling that it isn't the port but rather the battery or the software. Also when I do get my phone charging (today) It will charge for a few seconds then a yellow triangle with a power cord in it will appear on the screen instead of the green battery. I think it is either the software or the battery, but I want to know what you guys think and if you know of any fixes. I was reading alot about the voltage thing being a software issue but I'm unsure and I'm sure someone on here can help me. Thank you for your time.

If your description of the condition of the charger/cable is accurate (not and intermittent break/short in the line or charging block), that does isolate the battery and/or the charging port.

If visual inspection of the port comes out ok, along with a cleaning.. well, now it's battery replacement time. I'd be afraid to do that right away, though, as the new one could become damaged by a hidden charging circuit problem.

Have you checked the condition of the contacts on the battery and the mating contacts in the battery well? Dirt or corroded contacts? Water damage? Try swapping batteries with somebody with a known good one, just to see if that isolates the issue to your battery.

Another thought that comes to mind is a factory data reset to wash out any strange service loops that could be causing all this behavior. First, think back to when this first started happening; was something new done? Such as a new widget or an OTA or an app/widget update (dangerous if you have "auto update" enabled in Play Store).

Upvote 0
Well First I would test the full functionality of the cable. Plug it into your phone and a pc and try to use the usb storage to copy files to and from your phone, and also see if the phone starts charging. Straining your cable by tugging it is bad, and I do recommend getting a new one, and only plug and unplug by holding the plug end. Your battery may be at fault, they do go bad from time to time.

Upvote 0
If your description of the condition of the charger/cable is accurate (not and intermittent break/short in the line or charging block), that does isolate the battery and/or the charging port.

If visual inspection of the port comes out ok, along with a cleaning.. well, now it's battery replacement time. I'd be afraid to do that right away, though, as the new one could become damaged by a hidden charging circuit problem.

Have you checked the condition of the contacts on the battery and the mating contacts in the battery well? Dirt or corroded contacts? Water damage? Try swapping batteries with somebody with a known good one, just to see if that isolates the issue to your battery.

Another thought that comes to mind is a factory data reset to wash out any strange service loops that could be causing all this behavior. First, think back to when this first started happening; was something new done? Such as a new widget or an OTA or an app/widget update (dangerous if you have "auto update" enabled in Play Store).

I noticed some slight marks on the pads where the battery connects to the phone and I may have updated some apps, I'm not entirely sure, I had a really busy week.

Upvote 0
Well First I would test the full functionality of the cable. Plug it into your phone and a pc and try to use the usb storage to copy files to and from your phone, and also see if the phone starts charging. Straining your cable by tugging it is bad, and I do recommend getting a new one, and only plug and unplug by holding the plug end. Your battery may be at fault, they do go bad from time to time.

Yeah I have quite a few cables and they all do the same thing on the phone but work perfectly normal on other phones.

Upvote 0
" with my cable wrapped around my phone so that it was tightly pulled."

it sounds to me that it may be possible that putting just enough tension (pull), that like other people I know, it may have snapped the circuit board at the usb port. breaking the very fragile copper track on it. like someone else suggested , have you tried hooking up to a computer through the data cable to see if it responds that way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones