• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help with root/rom, have s-off (was- Accidentally updated after root!?)

AdamControl

Dec 31, 2012
MOD NOTE - Please jump down to post 29, s-off and TWRP are done.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...identally-updated-after-root.html#post5388925

Hey guys! Sorry if I sound stupid because I’m new to all this and particularly not good at this but need help please if you can. I wanted to root my LTE specifically to use ARLiberator with my AppRadio. I “rooted” my phone using the Mac method, which I use the root term loosely because none of my info was wiped but I still was able to run ARLiberator perfectly on my AppRadio as intended so it was fine. But I accidentally updated Android. Busy at work and hit the prompts without really thinking Now obviously ARLiberator won’t work (it just simply will never connect to the head unit) and I tried to reroot using the same Mac method but I just get a bunch of failure messages during the process and it ends up acting the same. I’m sorry if I sound stupid but I would really appreciate a helping hand. I did not make a backup with Nandroid (I wasn't even aware of it) and also when I launch SuperUser it asks to update the binary but then fails to install it. You think a Factory Data Reset would help, also? Thank you in advance!

If you rooted without losing anything on a Mac, then you likely used zedomax's root.

If you didn't use LazyPanda from there (the exploit was closed by the time Dirty Racun came out) to get s-off, and you didn't HTCdev unlock (you would have lost everything), then you couldn't have known about or made a nandroid backup. Eh, these things happen.

After you tell us about your hboot (which is likely to read the latest, regardless, because of the ota) please say if you want to root still using your Mac or if you're on to Windows.

You can still back up what you may using MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup+ before going further.

Reactions: AdamControl
Upvote 0
Oh oh oh... You're probably not so bad off then... Maybe.

Do me a favor, install Estrongs File Explorer, settings to home directory as / and root options like this, and tell me if you can see into the /system folder.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357075721669.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357075721669.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Okay, I updated SuperSU Pro through Play but I still get the SU binary needs to be updated message and then it fails to install.
BusyBox says:
there was a problem opening a shell. Either because of SU or improperly rooted phone.

If you are still on HBoot 1.15 and older radio's, you should really think about going the DirtyRacun S-OFF route. Then you can update everything without the issues of having HBoot 2.09 and the issues that come with it.

Pocketables – Bootloader in Jelly Bean update causes huge headaches for rooted, S-ON HTC EVO 4G LTE owners

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't think recovery ever happened here.

Zedomax root for the Mac would have used an exploit to install su, busybox and Superuser.apk.

Per the dev, it will ONLY work on software version 1.22.651.1 and older, if you have 1.22.651.3 or later, it's not going to work. (That was under settings, about... you saw that earlier.)

I don't see it's worth the attempt to try to tinker to push things into system, I expect that it's locked and it's time to get off the merry-go-round here.

You have two options - one if you're using Mac hardware.

If you're on a Mac, here's how to root what you have -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/572162-how-get-full-root-mac.html

That's based on HTCdev unlock, so as mentioned, use MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup+ to save what you may, that unlock will do a factory data reset, all user data and apps will go away.

That will give you full root, with an s-on unlocked bootloader.

The option to get a s-off unlocked bootloader is only open to you if you have a Windows platform to run the Dirty Racun tool - either in Windows mode or from a Live CD using Ubuntu. (This has to do with how the Mac platform maps access to the usb ports, the Unlimited.IO team's stuff doesn't support it.)

If you do have a PC and want to try Dirty Racun, go here -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...g-dummies-guide-lazypanda-racun-unlocked.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And if and only if you somehow still have software version 1.22.651.1, you can try Zedomax's method here -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671577

But from your initial report, you're well past that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't suppose that you installed and used Titanium Backup and backed up your apps and data before this happened?

If that happened, your backups are still good, you'll be able to restore once you're rooted again.

Sorry for the complexity, but I think it was required to find the best solution. :eek:

Upvote 0
Having some trouble.
In the DirtyRacun cmd I typed he commands for RUU in fastboot:

• fastboot erase cache
  • fastboot oem rebootRUU
  • fastboot flash zip RUU.zip- but this command says cannot load RUU.zip
Now what do I do?? The phone just say HTC on it now.

Edit: Sorry I panicked there for a second. I unzipped the RUU by accident...looks like it's sending now

Upvote 0
Correct, Dirty Racun gives you an s-off bootloader.

Next, install TWRP so you can flash things -

http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/98

I recommend the fastboot method listed there.

After that, you can install a rooted rom of your choice.

If you like Sense and ics, I recommend Viper4G or MeanRom.

If you want to go with jellybean, there are a number of choices here.

PS - welcome to s-off!

Now you can update firmware as required depending on your rom needs.

Remember, never go backwards with firmware revisions, only forward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones