• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help with root/rom, have s-off (was- Accidentally updated after root!?)

Upvote 0
Man I went through hell trying to get this to work on a Mac...then a Vista Machine, then a Windows 7 32. But I don't really understand I did everything but what do I do to get the bootlooping to go away?

what rom did you flash when the bootloop happened? what rom were you on before hand?

do you have a nandroid backup?

Upvote 0
I was using MeanBean and was attempting Viper4G. Yep, I have a Backup.

On the Viper page it warns of Bootloop and says to Use flashimage. I have no clue about it or how to install it.

not sure why you are having bootloops. you should be fine with the kernel from meanbean to viper 4g.

the flashimage gui is an app you run on your phone. you will need a file manager to install the apk. it is used to flash boot.img which is where the kernel lies. but you will need a booted up phone to use it.

do you have the android folder still setup? it has adb.exe and fastboot.exe?
you can always fastboot command the boot.img from the viper rom. use the guide i linked you to earlier.

Upvote 0
this is what i would do:
1. wipe dalvik cache, cache, factory reset, and system
2. pull the boot.img from the viper rom
3. re-flash viper rom
4. boot into fastboot from the bootloader
5. connect the phone to the pc via usb
6. open the command window from the android folder
7. type in
[HIGH]fastboot flash boot boot.img[/HIGH]
8. reboot

Upvote 0
I just flashed viper to my wife's phone last night, and had the same problem, kept getting stuck on the kernel installer, then would go past that and say it would in the kernel during start up. I had to fastboot flash the kernel, then everything was fine. The download was fine, some few handsets seem to have a few issues with this I think. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Heyyyy guys..I'm back! I'm having some more trouble so I figured I'd add it to the thread of troubles. I had to get a replacement phone and it seams that rooting has gotten harder or am I crazy? I unlocked the phone and got recovery but accidentally skipped the dirtyracun step and installed Viper4G. After that install the touch screen doesn't work but I figured it's cuz I didn't dirtyracun. I'm trying to make sense of it but I'm so busy at work and I have no clue how to use ubuntu and I gotta switch back to windows to get to work. Jeez!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones