• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Dec 23, 2018
Can someone help me please?? I'm at a loss and I don't know what to do. Google play has suspended my account because they say they need identification verification and they need to verify my payment method used on Google play. I sent them a copy of my license, but they now are demanding either a copy of my credit card front and back, or a copy of my bank statement with the account number on it! I am not giving them either one! Until I provide this information I can no longer purchase anything on Google play and all of my subscriptions have been suspended! Does anyone at all know how to get around this or bypass it? I'm desperate so if anyone has any a suggestions at all could you please let me know? Thanks so much.

Hi @Marybeth Burns, if you haven't missed any subscription payments then surely the solution is to give them evidence of that and have your subscriptions reinstated. To take out the subscription in the first place you have to provide your payment details, so what is the difference in providing them now, as verification?

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Whenever someone is requesting your bank account number or credit card info, that's most likely to be a scam. This sounds like a whole different matter than having your Google account locked.
Did you contact Google yourself or was it some notice you received? Whatever the case, they should never ask for your financial info.

-- Also please elaborate on what 'license' that you already shared with them?
-- Are you actually having problems accessing your Google account services?

Upvote 0
Whenever someone is requesting your bank account number or credit card info, that's most likely to be a scam. This sounds like a whole different matter than having your Google account locked.
Did you contact Google yourself or was it some notice you received? Whatever the case, they should never ask for your financial info.

I thought it was a scam also but I actually talked to Google in chat themselves. Yes, I agree. They should not be asking for a picture of my credit card front and back or copy of my bank statement. I am not giving them either 1. I sent them a picture of my drivers license to 'verify' my identity, which is bullshit, But in no way are they getting any of my payment information. They are going too far with this. I have done chat With them twice and they refuse to reinstate my Google account without that information. I have no idea what to do. 😡😡😡

Upvote 0

O and the problem is I cannot make any Google purchases at all because they won't let me, which means I am going to lose all of my music too.

Upvote 0
I thought it was a scam also but I actually talked to Google in chat themselves. Yes, I agree. They should not be asking for a picture of my credit card front and back or copy of my bank statement. I am not giving them either 1. I sent them a picture of my drivers license to 'verify' my identity, which is bullshit, But in no way are they getting any of my payment information. They are going too far with this. I have done chat With them twice and they refuse to reinstate my Google account without that information. I have no idea what to do. 😡😡😡
OK, that does clarify things. If it was some random email your received telling you to contact them that's one thing to be wary of, but if you initiated the contact with them the fact that they need verification of your identity does sound valid.They need to confirm you are you. From their stance, anyone could have stolen your wallet and are simply using your drivers' license to gain access to your Google account. Google's need to use multiple ways to confirm your identity is a good practice. If there wasn't a convoluted policy of verification in place, identity theft would be an even larger problem than it already is.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Can someone help me please?? I'm at a loss and I don't know what to do. Google play has suspended my account because they say they need identification verification and they need to verify my payment method used on Google play. I sent them a copy of my license, but they now are demanding either a copy of my credit card front and back, or a copy of my bank statement with the account number on it! I am not giving them either one! Until I provide this information I can no longer purchase anything on Google play and all of my subscriptions have been suspended! Does anyone at all know how to get around this or bypass it? I'm desperate so if anyone has any a suggestions at all could you please let me know? Thanks so much.

Are you sure that's actually Google you're speaking to, and not some scammer in India or something?

Quite frankly that sounds like an attempt at identity theft, and/or they want to empty your bank account.

Upvote 0
i agree that this seems very odd. i concur with @mikedt in thinking that you might be chatting with the wrong people. i have never heard of google asking for a license number, a copy of your credit card front and back and or your banking acct info.

just curious what made google suspend your account? what happened to begin with?

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Yes but all my music is on Google Play Music and when you don't pay for the subscription they take it back. Bastards. I also pay for picsart every month which isn't available anywhere else. 😡😡

I must admit to being somewhat puzzled by this. Have you paid or not paid your monthly subscriptions? If you have then Google are out of order and I suggest you contact them again and try and sort it out.

If, for some reason, the subscriptions have not been paid then Google are not out of order in taking the action they have done and calling them 'bastards' won't help matters.

I recently pre-empted the move from 'Play music' to 'YouTube music' and set up the subscription and the 'Terms and Conditions' of both services are lengthy and comprehensive, and clearly cover the actions taken so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scammers want the front and back of the credit card so they can get the CVV number, as well as the main number and expiry date. And once they got that they can do what they like with it

When you use a credit/debit card to set up a retail purchase of any kind you have to provide those very details to the legitimate retailer on the understanding that is a 'safe' transaction and the retailer is following the security protocol in respect of those details.

The critical issue here is whether the OP is, in fact, talking to Google. Taking what the OP has said so far I have no reason to think that that is not the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When you use a credit/debit card to set up a retail purchase of any kind you have to provide those very details to the legitimate retailer on the understanding that is a 'safe' transaction and the retailer is following the security protocol in respect of those details.
right, but a picture of the card? that seems odd. just asking the security code from the back should suffice.

Upvote 0
right, but a picture of the card? that seems odd. just asking the security code from the back should suffice.

Perhaps, but looking at both sides on my credit/debit cards there are no additional details to those required during the initial transaction other than the signature which is usually a scribble anyway.

You provide the long number, the expiry date and the CVV. My name is on the front of the card but the retailer obviously knows what that is.

Just noticed the debit card does have the sort code and account number on the front of the card but that a!so appears on cheques which can still be used so I wouldn't see that as a serious security issue. The only thing that should never be divulged is the PIN.

:thinking::)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps, but looking at both sides on my credit/debit cards there are no additional details to those required during the initial transaction other than the signature which is usually a scribble anyway.

You provide the long number, the expiry date and the CVV. My name is on the front of the card but the retailer obviously knows what that is.

Just noticed the debit card does have the sort code and account number on the front of the card but that a!so appears on cheques which can still be used so I wouldn't see that as a serious security issue. The only thing that should never be divulged is the PIN.

:thinking::)
its just odd. have you ever been told to do such a thing though? take a picture of your card. i have never had to to do that.....ever!!! usually you fill out a form or something.....even when dealing with an account suspension.

i'm more curious as to why the account was suspended in the first place.

Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
i'm more curious as to why the account was suspended in the first place.

Yes, and it seems unlikely that some third party/scammer could achieve that easily. So either Google have made a mistake which should be sortable one way or another or they believe they have reason to take the action they have up to now.

You could also consider that Google are trying to resolve the issue quickly, taking your point about filling in forms, a quick photo of the card emailed to Google - job done!!

On the face of it, Google Play Services are asking for verification of details they already have had from the OP in order to set up the subscription in the first place, no more no less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must admit to being somewhat puzzled by this. Have you paid or not paid your monthly subscriptions? If you have then Google are out of order and I suggest you contact them again and try and sort it out.

If, for some reason, the subscriptions have not been paid then Google are not out of order in taking the action they have done and calling them 'bastards' won't help matters.

I recently pre-empted the move from 'Play music' to 'YouTube music' and set up the subscription and the 'Terms and Conditions' of both services are lengthy and comprehensive, and clearly cover the actions taken so far.

Upvote 0
I chatted with Google again, and spoke with a very nice representative who advocated to her supervisor for me. I got an email last night, telling me that the issue has been resolved and they apologized for the inconvenience. They said they suspected that a purchase was made without my consent, which is ridiculous. That's why my account was suspended. The 'bastards' caused a lot of unnecessary stress and frustration. But I'm all set. Thank you for your advice everyone.

Upvote 0
i agree that this seems very odd. i concur with @mikedt in thinking that you might be chatting with the wrong people. i have never heard of google asking for a license number, a copy of your credit card front and back and or your banking acct info.

just curious what made google suspend your account? what happened to begin with?

It was all because they suspected that a purchase was made without my consent. Its taken care of. 👍

Upvote 0
Hi @Marybeth Burns, I'm really glad it's been resolved. When all is said and done I guess you could say that Google Play Services were trying to protect your account security.

If they genuinely thought there had been a rogue transaction and ignored it, or even worse, failed to pick up on it, would you not be even more angry? I know I would.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The critical issue here is whether the OP is, in fact, talking to Google. Taking what the OP has said so far I have no reason to think that that is not the case.

It's the fact they were requesting the rear of the credit card that made me suspicious,
that the OP wasn't actually talking to Google. Mainly because apart from the signature, the only other important information on the rear is the CVV number, which is what's needed for making "card not present" trransactions, e.g. online purchases. And once a scammer gets all useful credit card details front and rear, they hang up on you, and then they go to town on it.

Upvote 0
Hi @mikedt, but that is the point I was trying to make, with any on-line transaction I have to give the full long number and the expiry date from the front of the card if it is a credit card and they can ask for the start date for debit cards but rare!y do, followed by the CVV number from the back of the card because it is a 'cardholder not present' transaction.

The retailer stores those details, supposedly in a secure way and, with purchases such as subscriptions which can continue for some time will remind you to update your details in the event of the card about to expire. The new card will obviously have new start and expiry dates but the CVV number also changes. They have to have those details in order for the subscription to be renewed.

:)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones