1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by copterfixer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    This is really pissing me off. I have my phone rooted. I have followed instructions on the internet to root my Samsung Captivate. I only wanted to root it to rid the annoying bloatware.

I have followed all directions I found on the internet. I cannot get into remove the bloatware. My root was successful. I have installed Titanium Backup. The instructions said simply install it properly according to the directions then select applications to permanently remove. Well I do not have a list of applications to remove. It only offers to back up 5 things. This is really really pissing me off. I want to just toss the phone in the trash and go back to my Iphone 3g at least it was not loaded to the gills with garbage. It only had a few things I was able to easily hide.

I have the android SDK on my computer too. I tried to set up the side loading following directions for using the command propt. That too was unsuccessful. I am quite pissed. Please help me.

Yes I searched the forum but kept finding the same directions that are not working for me.

Advertisement

2. goondu

goondu Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Calm down. To remove there are 2 alternatives:

Either you use adb commands to remove the bloatware from the /system/app/ folder
    OR
    Use Root Explorer (paid app) to remove.

This is assuming that you have root access.

Keep calm, it will help.

3. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I appreciate your response. I refuse to pay money to remove something that was forcefully imposed on me. I wont pay to delete software I did not want on my hardware. I will spend my free time and make a crusade out of removing it because I have nothing better to do. I will eventually get pissed off and give up.

I have tried to use the command prompt to uninstall stuff. I have not had any success. I also have been reading those directions to no luck. I cannot seem to get done what I want done. I keep getting errors on the command prompts when I put in the strings that I find posted throughout this forum and the internet. I still have everything that came with the phone installed on the phone. This is why I said in my first posting I am considering returning it already. The only reason I bought it is because I knew before hand there was bloatware. I found all sorts of instructions online how to remove it. I bought the phone today. I have not had any luck with any instructions.

4. goondu

goondu Active Member

May 30, 2010
    can you do the following?

adb shell
    $ su
    su
    #

Is that what it appear in your pc?

if this is what appears, then the rest is easy.

Don't get frustrated. :)

5. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Yes I can make it that far. I have tried some of the command strings I have found to no success. Do you know where I can find a reliable list of commands?

6. goondu

goondu Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Okay, maybe what you can do is the following:

connect your phone to the pc, make sure you have usb debugging mode on.
    mount the 2 drives.
    in your internal sdcard, make a directory called Stock_apps. This is the directory that you shall make a backup of those apps that you want to remove in your system folder.
    next, do a adb shell
    and type su
    you are now in command mode.
    do a "cd /system/app" to go into the system app folder
    ls *.apk <- to list the apps that you want to uninstall
    ls *.odex <- to list the odex files associated with your apk files.
    type "cat Bloatedapp1.apk > /sdcard/Stock_apps/Bloatedapp1.apk" without the inverted commas. This is to make a copy of the app to your Stock_app folder.
    if there is a odex file, do the same as well: "cat Bloatedapp1.odex > /sdcard/Stock_apps/Bloatedapp1.odex"
    Then in the same directory, do a "rm Bloatedapp1.apk" and rm Bloatedapp1.odex"
    Repeat until all bloated apps are backup and deleted.
    Then key "reboot".

Hope this helps. :)

7. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I think I figured out the command strings. I am now getting an error saying permission denied. I have rooted the device I have the busybox installed and everything seems fine. I now figured out the commands but cant get permission. Now im just confused.

8. goondu

goondu Active Member

May 30, 2010
    sorry to hear that, and I am no guru on android. but if you can do a su, and get the # sign, you should be good to go.

9. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I wonder if that is what the issue is. I keep getting the $ after my su command not the # sign. I didnt think that made a difference

10. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Well. I wasted 8 hours of my life on this tonight. If I cannot get their garbage off of my phone by saturday I will be going back to my Iphone 3g at least Apple told ATT to fck off when it came to bloatware. This is just plain stupid. I do not allow anyone or anything to control my life. I want my things my way. That is the only way it will be. Please someone help me before I go back to a garbage phone.

goondu likes this.
  11. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    You said you were able to "hide" the apps you didn't want on your iphone. If that is still a suitable solution for you just install LauncherPro on your new phone. No root needed or anything fancy, it will let you hide all the bloatware you want and has a lot of really nice customization features.

12. copterfixer

copterfixer Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks topshelf and also goondu. Last night as I was laying in bed I was able to get the Titanium backup to work. So I was finally able to get rid of the apps I didnt want. Thanks for the help

13. goondu

goondu Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Well, that is great news indeed. Hope that from now, you will be able to enjoy your phone. :)