• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help

This is really pissing me off. I have my phone rooted. I have followed instructions on the internet to root my Samsung Captivate. I only wanted to root it to rid the annoying bloatware.

I have followed all directions I found on the internet. I cannot get into remove the bloatware. My root was successful. I have installed Titanium Backup. The instructions said simply install it properly according to the directions then select applications to permanently remove. Well I do not have a list of applications to remove. It only offers to back up 5 things. This is really really pissing me off. I want to just toss the phone in the trash and go back to my Iphone 3g at least it was not loaded to the gills with garbage. It only had a few things I was able to easily hide.

I have the android SDK on my computer too. I tried to set up the side loading following directions for using the command propt. That too was unsuccessful. I am quite pissed. Please help me.

Yes I searched the forum but kept finding the same directions that are not working for me.

I appreciate your response. I refuse to pay money to remove something that was forcefully imposed on me. I wont pay to delete software I did not want on my hardware. I will spend my free time and make a crusade out of removing it because I have nothing better to do. I will eventually get pissed off and give up.

I have tried to use the command prompt to uninstall stuff. I have not had any success. I also have been reading those directions to no luck. I cannot seem to get done what I want done. I keep getting errors on the command prompts when I put in the strings that I find posted throughout this forum and the internet. I still have everything that came with the phone installed on the phone. This is why I said in my first posting I am considering returning it already. The only reason I bought it is because I knew before hand there was bloatware. I found all sorts of instructions online how to remove it. I bought the phone today. I have not had any luck with any instructions.

Upvote 0
Okay, maybe what you can do is the following:

connect your phone to the pc, make sure you have usb debugging mode on.
mount the 2 drives.
in your internal sdcard, make a directory called Stock_apps. This is the directory that you shall make a backup of those apps that you want to remove in your system folder.
next, do a adb shell
and type su
you are now in command mode.
do a "cd /system/app" to go into the system app folder
ls *.apk <- to list the apps that you want to uninstall
ls *.odex <- to list the odex files associated with your apk files.
type "cat Bloatedapp1.apk > /sdcard/Stock_apps/Bloatedapp1.apk" without the inverted commas. This is to make a copy of the app to your Stock_app folder.
if there is a odex file, do the same as well: "cat Bloatedapp1.odex > /sdcard/Stock_apps/Bloatedapp1.odex"
Then in the same directory, do a "rm Bloatedapp1.apk" and rm Bloatedapp1.odex"
Repeat until all bloated apps are backup and deleted.
Then key "reboot".

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
Well. I wasted 8 hours of my life on this tonight. If I cannot get their garbage off of my phone by saturday I will be going back to my Iphone 3g at least Apple told ATT to fck off when it came to bloatware. This is just plain stupid. I do not allow anyone or anything to control my life. I want my things my way. That is the only way it will be. Please someone help me before I go back to a garbage phone.

Reactions: goondu
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones