• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please include NFC in Evo 3D

Ok, I posted this on another thread and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I didn't see any mention of NFC (Near Field Communication) . NFC was a much touted feature in gingerbread. It just bothers me that this phone is coming out of the box with gingerbread and missing this cool feature. The iphone 5 is rumored to have this technology built into the phone. Please don't shut us out HTC.

That said, I will more than likely be buying this thing.

It's an RFID reader and can communicate with other RFID readers. You can basically use a phone that has the technology in it in retail to pay for items just by scanning the phone if it's tied to your credit card and you can also scan a credit card with an RFID chip in it with the phone to handle e-commerce transactions. That's pretty much the jist of things

Reactions: mak916
Upvote 0
It would be cool, but not necessary. Also, It am sure it wouldn't constantly tansmit the data, so I don't see much of a security risk. I imagine it is much like the new credit card that you just wave in front of the reader? One must get pretty darn close to get those to work at all. Sure a guy can probably steal some nasty stuff if they get a hand on your phone, but the same is true of your wallet. I, for one, am more aware of where my phone is at any given moment than where my wallet is.

Upvote 0
@Sgt Slaughter and the rest in this thread. NFC is a hot topic atm. NFC is tighter than Fort Knox atm as well. I am not exactly sure why. The reason no announcement normally is 1)Means they have something planned for it and it is not ready yet. 2)End User Vendor negotiation i.e ticketmaster is on going. 3)Security concerns here in the U.S. regarding personal data/I.D. theft pending review.
I have used NFC over seas in Europe and Korea. I think it would be nice option to include on EVO 3D. Currently, U.S. infrastructure to support NFC might be the only limiting factor moving forward. The EVO 4G included everything but the kitchen sink even though we don't use it everyday. If something new comes across the desk it will be posted here on EVO 3D thread. I can't comment on NFC silicon atm.
BSOD

Upvote 0

I didn't see any mention of NFC (Near Field Communication) . NFC was a much touted feature in gingerbread. It just bothers me that this phone is coming out of the box with gingerbread and missing this cool feature. The iphone 5 is rumored to have this technology built into the phone. Please don't shut us out HTC.

I seem to recall reading that Apple said they won't be using NFC in the iPhone 5. Of course, plans can change.

Upvote 0
@suprmallet, Perfect example I enjoy coming to AF :p
I always focus more on what EVO 3D fans "want" and let that be the driving force as "what we do". Unfortunately, markets tend to drive innovation at times. NFC may fall under that same umbrella (Market/Innovation) here in the U.S. "EVO" name is about "Evolution", Android is about being "Open" to the Dev Community, and EVO 3D is going to respect that. EVO 3D will not launch with bootloader lock to keep in the spirit of "Openness"driving future innovations. To early to tell at this moment with respect NFC as mentioned in earlier post. I think it is good idea though. Kudos, mentioning a Apple product on a EVO 3D thread. I don't have a witty Apple jab. I will watch a video shooting apples from a Co2 gun in glorious glasses free 3D! Does that count as a Apple jab? Let you guys decide :)
BSOD

Upvote 0

My thought on this is that the reason HTC isn't including it is because, at this time, all NFC would do is drive the cost of the handsets up.

Google is only now in talks with a couple banks using NFC is the US. And assuming the banks agree, it might be more then a year or 2 out before the infrastructure is even there for NFC acceptance.

The only service I remember that used NFC was at Exxon/Mobil stations. They've had it for years, but I don't know if they even still take it...

NFC would be a nice feature to have, but if it's not being used, why spend the cash on it to drive up the cost of the handsets?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I haven't understood why people would want this in their phone. Probably the #1 item people get stolen.

If someone wants your credit card, they are going to steal your wallet, not your phone. Even with that, what is the first thing you do when you lose your wallet (and know it's gone for good)? You call all your credit card companies so as to cancel everything. I seriously don't see how this puts anyone in any more peril than losing a wallet. We aren't proposing (as far as I know) to have social security, driver's license, and passport information stored in this way. Just simple credit card info that one can simply wave over a scanner, which is already built into some cards these days.

People said the same thing when they were moving from cash/checks to cards. "This is a good way to get things stolen". Well, when I lost my wallet with $100 cash in it I didn't get the cash back. Had someone fraudulently used my debit or credit cards the bank protects me and gives me the money back. I'd literally rather my credit card get stolen over my Franklins for this very reason.

Upvote 0
EVO 3D will not launch with bootloader lock to keep in the spirit of "Openness"driving future innovations.

While I'd love for that to be the case, I'm not holding my breath. The current trend across multiple vendors & providers (Sprint currently excluded of course) is to prevent users from unlocking their phones. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if HTC/Sprint tried to do the same with the 3vo.

Upvote 0
No offense, but who? To my knowledge they are now all doing it.

So far it's just motorola. So if HTC starts, then Samsung is the last haven. I consider these the big three, and for now, I wouldn't consider any other manufacturer for an Android.

Yeah it's a scary thought. There could come a day where all manufacturers encrypt bootloaders. And if Android continues its domination with average folk, the percentage of us who care about hardware freedom won't be sufficient enough to make a stand and get the policy changed. Case in point: Motorola sales haven't been negatively impacted by their encrypted bootloaders. The average (and majority) just don't care.

I can see some of us sticking with an older model and "driving it till the wheels come off," to quote EarlyMon in another post.

Back on topic:
NFC is definitely the future, but I wouldn't mind owning a phone without it until it's proven to be mainstream and without security concerns.

Upvote 0
Back on topic:
NFC is definitely the future, but I wouldn't mind owning a phone without it until it's proven to be mainstream and without security concerns.

True, but I'd rather have a phone that has it and has the ability to disable if you don't want to use it. Better yet, have some type of security so that it's only activated for a few seconds when you use a thumbprint (would be awesome if you had a scanner) or a passcode, like your pin for a debit card.

That said, not a dealbreaker if it has it or not, I'd just prefer to have the option. Futureproof as possible is what I'm always looking for.

Upvote 0
True, but I'd rather have a phone that has it and has the ability to disable if you don't want to use it. Better yet, have some type of security so that it's only activated for a few seconds when you use a thumbprint (would be awesome if you had a scanner) or a passcode, like your pin for a debit card.

That said, not a dealbreaker if it has it or not, I'd just prefer to have the option. Futureproof as possible is what I'm always looking for.

Yeah, it really depends on how quickly the technology becomes mainstream. I know my credit card has had the capability for 8 years now, but I've never had the chance to use it. So great, my card is future-proof, but it also expired twice during that time. These days, phones last on average 2-3 years. Can we expect NFC/RFID to become widespread before then? I think it will take at least that much time, so I'm thinking that it will become an important feature for me by the time the third Evo generation is out.

I do agree the concept is neat. But if I were to cherrypick my must-have features, I'd want the ability for my phone to act as a universal remote for my home theater. Prolly not going to happen.

Upvote 0
Engadget said:
Processing mobile payments via an external dongle? That'sso early 2011. Charge Anywhere has a less troublesome idea, and if you're the lucky owner of a Google Nexus S, you could soon be accepting cold, hard virtual cash via NFC. For those already familiar with the space, you'll know that this very company already has applications out for the iPhone, BlackBerry and Android devices, but all of those obviously require a credit card swiping mechanism to be connected. According to CNET, the latest version will include support for the NFC module embedded within the Nexus S, enabling it to be a full-on mobile payment terminal with no additional hardware required. Both MasterCard PayPass and Visa Blink payments could be ingested, but don't go searching for the update in the Android Market; the company's done with the new build, but it won't be let loose to the public until it's ran past larger customers first. We don't get the impression that the NFC-compatible version will run any more than the $9.99 per month, but it's obviously a wait-and-see affair for now.

Source

Maybe this is just saying that a 3rd party app that will use NFC for processing payments will charge for its services. ??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones