• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please let this put a stop to the 2.1 drama...

That was nearly 3 months ago. Anyone who believes its taken this long for them to figure out upgrade options and test is being naive. I have heard others say it and I am starting to believe it. The update is being held back until after the Evo is released and may not even come at all.

Hate to say it but I'm beginning to agree. Can u say focus on the EVO. Kinda reminds me of the DirecTV approach of the "new" consumer vs the the "old" reliable customer. Since when did hype numbers compare to residual income. Is that why newcomers always get the better deals?

Upvote 0
I'm starting to think it's impossible for them to upgrade 1.5 sense to 2.1 sense
we know sense and 2.1 are both working together(Desire, Incredible, evo)
so seemingly why is it so hard for them to do a fully functional 1.5 sense to 2.1
sense upgrade

This update isn't just an update of the Sense UI. It's a full upgrade. Sense and Android are packaged together for HTC phones. When you go to do the upgrade, it isn't making any changes to 1.5, or the version of sense currently installed on the Hero, it completely erases your phone, and installs a whole new OS+UI, (2.1 and Sense). The delays have more to do with implementing the new Sense UI on the new Android operating system and then the implementation of the OS+Sense UI on the Hero. To be honest, the delays, at this point, seem to be down to testing and bugfixes.

Upvote 0
Well i'm rooted now
so the 2.1 threads
are mainly humorous to me :)

Aside from a few extra perks,
1.5 wasn't that bad.

I'm just worried about having to root everytime
i get a skinned phone.

When i get the evo and it's now thanksgiving and it's still on 2.1 when other devices are launching on newer versions, i am going to have to go through the root process...again

I love Android now but as of now this is what kills my 100% satisfaction of the OS

Upvote 0
So are the two different sets of screen shots from BestBuy faked? This seems like it would be an elaborate hoax to carry out. Was it just a premature announcement given out buy BestBuy? Is the release being delayed buy problems? Will Sprint/HTC be hiring new programmers from XDA in the future? What are we going to fill all our spare time with when the update does come out? Stay tuned...:eek:

these are the pictures i took on wednesday afternoon i just went by and the guy opend up the program and the message was there saying it was coming on friday may 7th... you can even see in the pix that i took a practice shoot with my hero to make sure the camera sound was off so when i took a pic of the screen he wouldnt hear me taking a picture... so if it was still there on thier system at about 3 in the afternoon on wednesday then i think it would be coming...

and it was funny on thier program where the update info was it was like a little forum of best buy stores talking back and forth with some stores happy to see it coming and then other stores saying damn who sent this to engadget... then another post saying ohh great now its on phandroid and androidcentral..
so if it wasnt coming or sprint pulled the update back wouldnt best buy have taken that out of employee mobile computer system?

just my 2 cents...

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
these are the pictures i took on wednesday afternoon i just went by and the guy opend up the program and the message was there saying it was coming on friday may 7th... you can even see in the pix that i took a practice shoot with my hero to make sure the camera sound was off so when i took a pic of the screen he wouldnt hear me taking a picture... so if it was still there on thier system at about 3 in the afternoon on wednesday then i think it would be coming...

and it was funny on thier program where the update info was it was like a little forum of best buy stores talking back and forth with some stores happy to see it coming and then other stores saying damn who sent this to engadget... then another post saying ohh great now its on phandroid and androidcentral..
so if it wasnt coming or sprint pulled the update back wouldnt best buy have taken that out of employee mobile computer system?

just my 2 cents...

Not sure why it was in the system when you went there but when I went yesterday the girls working there were adamant that Sprint Hero was never supposed to get 2.1 and neither Sprint nor HTC ever said it would. One of the girls went in the computer to look for any info about the update being on the Friday and there was nothing she said. She could have been lying, but why bother lying when you are so helpful as to say that Sprint and HTC never said they would update the Hero???

Upvote 0
Well i'm rooted now
so the 2.1 threads
are mainly humorous to me :)

Aside from a few extra perks,
1.5 wasn't that bad.

I'm just worried about having to root everytime
i get a skinned phone.

When i get the evo and it's now thanksgiving and it's still on 2.1 when other devices are launching on newer versions, i am going to have to go through the root process...again

I love Android now but as of now this is what kills my 100% satisfaction of the OS

What's the deal
with your typing sentence fragments
on different lines?

Is it supposed to be super ethnic,
or like your own troubled prose?

I'm a regular e.e. cummings!

Upvote 0
I'm more concerned about the possibility of not being able to root if 2.1 patches it. I'd prefer to wait for Damageless or Flipz to get their hands on the official release and work their magic then I'd just flash whatever they make based off the official release.

As with all technology, someone will find a way to hack it in due time. I'm sure the same w/ go for the EVO when it's released. By the time I get it myself, it will more than likely be able to be rooted.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to think it's impossible for them to upgrade 1.5 sense to 2.1 sense
we know sense and 2.1 are both working together(Desire, Incredible, evo)
so seemingly why is it so hard for them to do a fully functional 1.5 sense to 2.1
sense upgrade

And let's not forget the Legend....Hero 2, anyone....I don't see what's so different about the legend vs the hero.

Upvote 0
I just never understood why there was never really any mention for the eris and whatever update was coming.

I heard like 2 rumors and that's it.
It's almost like HTC, Google and Verizon
forgot the phone exist...especially now that the incredible is out

It's a possibility that's what they intended on all along. I mean VZW has the Droid and now the Incredible which kinda leaves the Eris hanging w/ it's inferior and obsolete hardware.

Upvote 0
I just never understood why there was never really any mention for the eris and whatever update was coming.
I heard like 2 rumors and that's it.
I

It's a possibility that's what they intended on all along. I mean VZW has the Droid and now the Incredible which kinda leaves the Eris hanging w/ it's inferior and obsolete hardware.

Sounds similar to the hero/evo situation to me.....
Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones