• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please - New Threads for New News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. That is exactly what I would hope for. New post for breaking news, a leaked photo or video, and a minor amount of discussion pertianing to that topic. The general discussion could stay whereever you want it.

People keep claiming the Passion forum was a mess. I understand the problems your description and I can see how that could be a problem for a moderator. It was no problem for me, I could just choose what to read and what not to, but I do understand.

For me, one long forum where only a few people know what information is included, is a much bigger mess than off topic threads.

Unofficially, it looks like so far that 4 people are firm no and have strong opinions that the thread should stay as is. Looks like 5 people would prefer new threads with new news, and a couple of others who offer advice but no opinion. - So about even.

Thanks
Adrian

The thing you might consider right now is this phone is still a rumor and not confirmed by Verizon, HTC, or Google. I would think having everything under one thread right now is the thing to do. I have read all post in that thread and have gained a wealth of information. Like it was said before follow the thanks post and I remember all the user's that give excellent info. I use the search>>advance search>>user name to go back to them. The thread right now is probably driving more people to this site and we will gain more information from them. Without the people in that thread nobody would have been searching flickr, twitter accounts.

Upvote 0
Thank you. That is exactly what I would hope for. New post for breaking news, a leaked photo or video, and a minor amount of discussion pertianing to that topic. The general discussion could stay whereever you want it.

People keep claiming the Passion forum was a mess. I understand the problems your description and I can see how that could be a problem for a moderator. It was no problem for me, I could just choose what to read and what not to, but I do understand.

For me, one long forum where only a few people know what information is included, is a much bigger mess than off topic threads.

Unofficially, it looks like so far that 4 people are firm no and have strong opinions that the thread should stay as is. Looks like 5 people would prefer new threads with new news, and a couple of others who offer advice but no opinion. - So about even.

Thanks
Adrian

I just don't understand your aversion to checking the first post of the general thread. I mean, info is updated there daily. It's where the pictures, videos, and confirmed/rumored specs will be and it's pulled from the thread contributions and discussions. If you don't want the idle chat, that's the best you're gonna get. But as someone said above, the pertinent information hits the blogs and tech sites within the day. Keep an eye on phandroid, bgr, engadget, phone arena and I think you'll get everything you need without consuming too much of your time.

Upvote 0
I just don't understand your aversion to checking the first post of the general thread. I mean, info is updated there daily. It's where the pictures, videos, and confirmed/rumored specs will be and it's pulled from the thread contributions and discussions. If you don't want the idle chat, that's the best you're gonna get. But as someone said above, the pertinent information hits the blogs and tech sites within the day. Keep an eye on phandroid, bgr, engadget, phone arena and I think you'll get everything you need without consuming too much of your time.

It's not an aversion and maybe its the best I'll get. But right now there is something on the first post that says something like "possible 1 gig or Ram - Unconfirmed". Where did that come from. I have no idea. I scanned the last page earlier this morning and people were talking about x box live games, winmobile 7, and perhaps a 1.5 gig processor.

I'm just saying that if there is new rumors about 1 gig of Ram, I would have known instantly if it had been placed in a new thread. How is that less orgainzed?

Upvote 0
It's not an aversion and maybe its the best I'll get. But right now there is something on the first post that says something like "possible 1 gig or Ram - Unconfirmed". Where did that come from. I have no idea. I scanned the last page earlier this morning and people were talking about x box live games, winmobile 7, and perhaps a 1.5 gig processor.

I'm just saying that if there is new rumors about 1 gig of Ram, I would have known instantly if it had been placed in a new thread. How is that less orgainzed?

Here's the problem. The information in the first post comes from talking about articles, sources from the articles, someone contacting those sources, those sources joining android forums, and people asking those sources direct questions on the forums. Individuals are taking initiative and contributing their own time and efforts. You're just not gonna get that in a thread that grows by a page every week. Since Thursday the thread has grown by almost 30 pages, and in that time TWO people connected directly with a test phone have joined and contributed information. You want all the information consolidated, but you want the real time convenience of the details. That's impossible. Certainly you know the newspaper doesn't provide that. If you want more info on something, you go digging for the specifics.

Upvote 0

post 6014 is one reference

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/42916-official-htc-incredible-thread-121.html

Reactions: TnFlapjack
Upvote 0
The thing you might consider right now is this phone is still a rumor and not confirmed by Verizon, HTC, or Google. I would think having everything under one thread right now is the thing to do. I have read all post in that thread and have gained a wealth of information. Like it was said before follow the thanks post and I remember all the user's that give excellent info. I use the search>>advance search>>user name to go back to them. The thread right now is probably driving more people to this site and we will gain more information from them. Without the people in that thread nobody would have been searching flickr, twitter accounts.

Thanks, I've tried scanning fast to find the large amount of thanks, which still takes forever, but I have never searched on someone's user name. I'll give that a try.

As far as rumors, they are except with leaked photos, specs, etc. It would have been great to have seen that leaked video that was pulled. I think I would have seen it if it had been it its own link but it had been pulled by the time the tech sites picked up on it.

When a release date gets confirmed, or when anything is confirmed, I hope it will be in its own thread but I bet it will be buried 10 pages in with the last page talking about dating with sexual undertones or some other bull. I will not notice the confirmed infor until the tech sites pick up on it. This site is a wealth of info and when it was the Passion forum, I kept up immediately. Except in the case of the moderators, I just don't understand the affinity for the run-on, disorgainzed, more often off topic than on thread. In my opinion, the official thread is a mess. It seems like as many people agree with me as disagree, so surely my arguement has some merit. Doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Here's the problem. The information in the first post comes from talking about articles, sources from the articles, someone contacting those sources, those sources joining android forums, and people asking those sources direct questions on the forums. Individuals are taking initiative and contributing their own time and efforts. You're just not gonna get that in a thread that grows by a page every week. Since Thursday the thread has grown by almost 30 pages, and in that time TWO people connected directly with a test phone have joined and contributed information. You want all the information consolidated, but you want the real time convenience of the details. That's impossible. Certainly you know the newspaper doesn't provide that. If you want more info on something, you go digging for the specifics.

Kyler13, I think that makes absolute sense. Thanks

Upvote 0
Here's shy the main thread IS easy to follow....

Even if you've missed the previous 6 new pages added, and a new release date has been mentioned 6 pages earlier, it will still be being talked about on the Last Page.

That is definately not always the case. Within six pages after the source has left, the conversation has turned to 90% or so just social talk

Upvote 0
Okay, fine.

You've seen peoples opinions here. I don't think the Mods will stop you from opening another thread, but you've just seen what happens.

What I've seen from peoples opinions here is that is about equally split.

I will not be starting threads, I have nothing of interest to add to a discussion. I also do not think the Mods would stop me either, since they pretty much said that.

I think you may have missed the point.

Upvote 0
What I've seen from peoples opinions here is that is about equally split.

I will not be starting threads, I have nothing of interest to add to a discussion. I also do not think the Mods would stop me either, since they pretty much said that.

I think you may have missed the point.

wow wheres all the new news in this new news thread all i hear is bickering i guess im going back to the official incredible thread where it has new news here is a link if you want new news http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/42916-official-htc-incredible-thread.html

Reactions: Nashdroid
Upvote 0
wow wheres all the new news in this new news thread all i hear is bickering i guess im going back to the official incredible thread where it has new news here is a link if you want new news http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/42916-official-htc-incredible-thread.html

It appears that you also missed the point.

I don't know how else I could have explained it to have been any clearer.

Actually you made my point exactly. You are no longer interested in this thread, so you can choose to move on and never come back to this conversation - orgainzed and easy.

It was a sincere request coupled with an opinion, not an attempt to have any news here at all. My request has failed but I still hold to my opinion. I do understand the opposite opinion now thanks to logical responses from people like Kyler13 and vzw+..... and perhaps others.

Upvote 0
You mean I can't just sit here and let everyone else spoon feed me the new news? Aww...that sucks. I was hoping everyone else could take the relevant information from the Official thread, do all of the hard work and put it in a convenient little new thread FOR me. :rolleyes:

I, also, am too busy and oh-so important that I can't be bothered to do my own research.

PLEASE, everyone, email me new news only on release dates and specs.

Send the info to toolazytogetoffmybuttbutstillwantstobeintheloop.com

Upvote 0
I, also, am too busy and oh-so important that I can't be bothered to do my own research.

PLEASE, everyone, email me new news only on release dates and specs.

Send the info to toolazytogetoffmybuttbutstillwantstobeintheloop.com
The sad thing is our original poster DOES do that for everyone. Everything in the first post is the most up-to-date, important, and relevant info and people are STILL asking for more. I just don't get it.:rolleyes:

Beggers can't be choosers.

Upvote 0
Hey guys... sorry to be so late to comment on this topic... My boss has been watching me like a hawk lately - he mentioned something about my reading forums while I could be making my company $5k an hour. Sound familiar? :rolleyes: All joking aside, I find that it takes mere seconds to glance at Anonimac's excellent, current first page specs posting on the ***Official HTC Incredible Thread***. What a concept!!!

Upvote 0
I have obviously stated my position poorly or have come across in a tone that I did not intend.

I am sorry. - Adrian

No need to be sorry. I understood exactly what you were asking for and wanting. You simply wanted to make it easier to find RELEVANT info....rather than having to sift through dozens of posts of mindless drivel and off-topic conversation and comments from people trying to be humorous in one thread. I get it, and I agreed. And some of the people responding agreed with you as well:

the news over the past week or so has brought a ton of new posters into that thread. Some have great insights but some feel the need to say something every other post just to get their count up without saying anything of value. I loved the thread up until about a week ago and now I just can't commit to reading the 5 new pages over the last hour to keep up.

I think it would be smarter if we had a thread that pulls all the important posts into it rather than sifting through thousands of posts to find something that is actually useful.
I agree 100% with the 1st post. I feel that the "official" thread fails to inform people and thus we have the same questions asked over and over and over again. You can even see the frustration of some people in that thread when they read the same question that might have been asked the page before.

So yes, it would be nice to not have to read through countless posts that have no factually relevant information.

I understand WHY others might not want that, and like you said...many have explained their reasoning in a very logical manner that makes sense. But I agree that it would be nice if we could come here and find out some more factually relevant details without having to sift through pages and pages of comments that don't offer anything of any substance.

Upvote 0
The sad thing is our original poster DOES do that for everyone. Everything in the first post is the most up-to-date, important, and relevant info and people are STILL asking for more. I just don't get it.:rolleyes:

Beggers can't be choosers.

That's actually what I'm saying. All the info is there for the taking, I don't need it hand fed to me, same as Nash alluded to.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I've tried scanning fast to find the large amount of thanks, which still takes forever, but I have never searched on someone's user name. I'll give that a try.

As far as rumors, they are except with leaked photos, specs, etc. It would have been great to have seen that leaked video that was pulled. I think I would have seen it if it had been it its own link but it had been pulled by the time the tech sites picked up on it.

When a release date gets confirmed, or when anything is confirmed, I hope it will be in its own thread but I bet it will be buried 10 pages in with the last page talking about dating with sexual undertones or some other bull. I will not notice the confirmed infor until the tech sites pick up on it. This site is a wealth of info and when it was the Passion forum, I kept up immediately. Except in the case of the moderators, I just don't understand the affinity for the run-on, disorgainzed, more often off topic than on thread. In my opinion, the official thread is a mess. It seems like as many people agree with me as disagree, so surely my arguement has some merit. Doesn't it?

That video is buried in the official thread from a different site. I would think if that video had its own thread it would be pulled too. Sometimes it is good to have something buried. This one could be added to the 1st post of the thread but I think it would be pulled off the website.

Also, you might try having the official thread pulled up, then click on the 'search this thread' button. Key in the word you want to search. Like the word video reduces it down to 16 pages.

HTC Android 2.1??Incredible???? - ?? - ???? - ????

Upvote 0
It seems like as many people agree with me as disagree, so surely my arguement has some merit. Doesn't it?

While I previously told you that I was against the idea, let me explain a bit.

I DO like the idea, the problem is, as you have seen, ANY thread starts to go Off Topics as people start commenting on other's posts and the discussion then goes back and forth. So while sound in theory, it never turns out that way. I (politely) maintain that we end up having multiple threads to search through.

Upvote 0
Think of it this way.. all the people asking for new threads can beg all the want, but in the end, the people that are contributing their time and effort into finding things for everyone else are going to keep utilizing the Official thread. So, unless you want to put in that same time and effort that some of the regulars have (which I can say for myself and others has been countless amounts of hours), then you're cries are going onto deaf ears. This thread will go no where as it is NOT a majority vote. Its solely based on the people that HAVE the info and where they choose to place it (and at this time, we choose the Official thread)

We have already said, ALL relevant/important information is in the first post. IF you don't have the time to go through the pages, check that post. Plain and simple.. I don't know how else I can say it. IF you want some additional discussion but are too lazy to go through every post, then scan through each page looking for "Thanks" and you will find some discussion pertaining to the topic around that individual post. If you don't like either of these options, then stick to tech blogs/sites where they will give you that synopsis that you desire, without all the extracurricular fuss, and when the phone is released, THEN come back here and you will see an array of sub-discussions in numerous threads where you can pick and choose.

This is the perfect case of a (for a lack of a better analogy) a hard working student versus one that just cheats. The hard working student is putting in their time and effort, and the cheating student just wants the same end results.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones