• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PLEASE READ: Reguarding the 2.1 Update for the Motorola Droid

I have unrooted my phone to factory. I'm on the East coast New York and nothing so far. I know geographic location has nothing to do with it but if people start getting it i would like to know where ya'll are from. Maybe we can see a pattern. There always is a pattern no matter what people tell you. Oh i have been watching alot of Fringe sorry.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it does. And I wouldn't try manually updating it as your phone may reject the update since it's not in your timezone, this could end up bricking your phone if you try it.
I thought so. I just called the Verizon rep and she confirmed your statement. She said if I change the timezone on my computer it should port that to my phone and I might get the update then. Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0
First off, you can force your phone to check in for updates (both firmware and market apps) by dialing as if you were making a call to:

*#*#checkin#*#*

you should see a message that check in succeeded. Note that you'll still need to go under Settings -> About phone -> System updates to see the actual update should you get it at Noon.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the downloaded update is not saved to the SDCard (/sdcard). I believe they are saved to the /cache partition along with instructions for the phone to boot into recovery mode and apply the update instead of performing a normal boot.

If that's the case, someone who receives the update notification will need to be rooted (but still running stock 2.0.1) and after the update is downloaded, dig around in the /cache partition.

Jay

Upvote 0
First off, you can force your phone to check in for updates (both firmware and market apps) by dialing as if you were making a call to:

*#*#checkin#*#*

you should see a message that check in succeeded. Note that you'll still need to go under Settings -> About phone -> System updates to see the actual update should you get it at Noon.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the downloaded update is not saved to the SDCard (/sdcard). I believe they are saved to the /cache partition along with instructions for the phone to boot into recovery mode and apply the update instead of performing a normal boot.

If that's the case, someone who receives the update notification will need to be rooted (but still running stock 2.0.1) and after the update is downloaded, dig around in the /cache partition.

Jay

This is not the case, at all! It does save to the SD card, I promise you that. Follow my method in the OP!
DISREGARD THAT POST!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones