• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root please someone help me

1) Does everything else seem to work? Can you make phone calls and use 3g?
2) Do you know what you had before (doesn't matter that much; just wondering what you came from). 2.15 is on the first few numbers, and has been the same for quite some time.
3) What recovery do you have? Have you made nandroid backups?
4) There are a few things we can check, but let's start with the simplest, which will determine if we should even bother or not. Install this and verify that you haven't lost your wimax RSA keys. Let's take it from there.

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
Well, it sounds like you've lost your wimax RSA keys. Let's go ahead and verify the manual way. Install the terminal emulator from the market, open it, then type "su" without quotes, then enter. The prompt should change from $ to #. Once it does, type "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0". You should get several lines of output. Assuming you do, verify that the last two lines are (or aren't):

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If those two lines are not there, you've definitely lost your keys. So, back to my recovery question, what recovery do you have, and have you made any nandroid backups recently? If you don't have a recovery that backs up RSA keys or don't have any nandroid backups, I'm afraid you've lost 4g for good.

Upvote 0
Well, smashing it or claiming you lost it is basically insurance fraud. No, they'll never find out, but it is what it is, plus it'll cost you $100 to get a new phone. Your best bet is to unroot it fully (directions are in the rooting for dummies guide), then take it in and just tell them 4g doesn't work. If they have to replace it, you're going to have to pay $100. They might give you a new one for free; they might not. It was caused by something you did, after all ;). It's one of the risks we take in doing these kinds of things.

Upvote 0
Well, it sounds like you've lost your wimax RSA keys. Let's go ahead and verify the manual way. Install the terminal emulator from the market, open it, then type "su" without quotes, then enter. The prompt should change from $ to #. Once it does, type "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0". You should get several lines of output. Assuming you do, verify that the last two lines are (or aren't):

If those two lines are not there, you've definitely lost your keys. So, back to my recovery question, what recovery do you have, and have you made any nandroid backups recently? If you don't have a recovery that backs up RSA keys or don't have any nandroid backups, I'm afraid you've lost 4g for good.

I ran the emulater and my evo still has the RSA PRIVATE KEY
but rsa key app says I am missing my key is there still a possible way for me to get my RSA key back?
snap20110219_142045.png

snap20110219_141354.png

Upvote 0
I take it 4g isn't working for you? If you see those lines in the terminal emulator, I would think something is wrong with the wimax key checker. Are you on a particular ROM or just just stock? When did 4g stop working (assuming it's not working)? Do you have any nandroid backups? If so, what recovery were they made with?

I'm using Warmtwopointtwo rl5 it was working fine i switched to a cm7 rom that supposably had 4g working.

[ROM]CM7-GX4(EX+4G) | Updated 2-7-11 | New G's!!!! - xda-developers

I didn't like that ROM so i reloaded rl5 but i guess my nandroid file was corrupt so i downloaded and flash rl5 file again I go to use 4g and it doesn't work anymore so I'm not sure what to do?

Upvote 0
What recovery/version was that nandroid backup made with? Do you have any older nandroid backups? Have you ever updated your radios manually? That last question is *sort of* irrelevant.

I use the latest veriosn of amon ra but i never click the wimax back up i have old back ups but only a week ago I only keep recent back ups. I never have changed my radio only PRL

Upvote 0
What recovery/version was that nandroid backup made with? Do you have any older nandroid backups? Have you ever updated your radios manually? That last question is *sort of* irrelevant.

EDIT: Oh, and what happens when you turn on 4g? Can you be more specific than "it doesn't work"?

My 4g is just scanning forever and ever I usually 4g around my house and my neighborhood but now it just scans

Upvote 0
So, you have RA, but have never created a nandroid backup that included your wimax keys? For the record, you should always create at least one backup with that included. In any case, what happens when you turn on 4g?

EDIT: Okay, posted right after you :). Open the terminal, and type these commands:

su
wimax_mtd

That will run through a bunch of tests. Do they pass or fail? Also, if it passes, up at the top, it will list your wimax version and your wimax mac address. What are they?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones