• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please, what do these two icons mean?

brunces

Jan 23, 2012
Hello, guys.

I've bought a new dual SIM smart phone, a Samsung J2, with Android 5.1.1.

I'm curious about two icons on the top bar.

http://postimg.org/image/9dv62aiy3/

1) What does the first icon (left red arrow) mean?

It is a SIM card icon with number 1 in it. I thought it could be something related to the "Preferred SIM card" option under "SIM card manager", but I've set the "Voice call" option to "Ask always", therefore, IMHO, there's no sense in showing number 1 or 2 on the top bar for that since there's no preferred SIM card chosen. Then, I also thought maybe it could be something to do with the "Text and multimedia messages" option because this one won't allow me to choose "Ask always" like the "Voice call" will. I can choose only one of the SIM cards only. That said, I've chosen SIM card number 1. However, if I choose SIM card number 2, that icon won't change into 2. So, I have no idea what that icon really means.

2) Why is there a kind of a square around the first network icon (right red arrow)? What does that square mean?

In the beginning, I thought it had something to do with "Data usage", as if data usage was on for the first SIM card, but... it is not. My data usage is off for both SIM cards. I'm using my home WiFi, I don't need my data usage turned on.

Well, those are my doubts. I've searched about them on the Internet, but I couldn't really find anything relevant. To be honest, I don't even know if those "icons (as they are)" are Android's or Samsung's stuff. I'm saying that because I haven't seen any Android screenshot with those icons. Maybe it could be some kind of feature Samsung has developed by themselves, I don't know. Anyway, can you help me understad it?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your time.

Cheers.

brunces

Edit: Sorry for the external link to the image. I couldn't find a way to embed the image here.

From this document:

Samsung Galaxy J2 SM-J200F User Manual PDF Download (page #26):

upload_2016-1-10_15-56-15.png

So, the first icon (with the #1 in it) simply tells you which SIM is currently in-use.

The other signal strength is a box I'm guessing is the signal strength of the currently in-use SIM.

Hope that helps! :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
scary alien,

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

Actually, I have this manual and, to be honest, I had already seen what you pointed. Problem is I don't really get it, I confess. I mean, first of all, it doesn't mention -- anywhere -- the meaning of the "box" surrounding the Signal strength. It only shows that both icons (with and without the "box") represent the Signal strength. Maybe your guess is right and the "box" represents the signal strength of the currently in-use SIM, but do you get my point?

Now, the other thing I don't understand... "Currently accessing SIM (Currently in-use SIM)"... What does this mean exactly? Is the phone not using both SIMs at the same time? "In-use" for what? For example, I'm not using my phone right now, I mean, I'm not on the phone with anyone. Both SIMs are activated, enabled to make and receive calls, working properly as usual. Data usage is off for both SIMs (I don't need it, I'm home... WiFi, you know). I'm not even touching my phone, it's just lying on the table and its screen is locked as usual. So what the heck is "currently in-use SIM"? What is SIM 1 being used for that SIM 2 isn't? I mean, aren't both "being used" equally, at the same time, whatever they're used for? :)

Sorry, those pieces of information from the manual were not clear enough to me. It certainly has an explanation, of course. It's just... I still don't get it, you know? I'm LMAO here. :D

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate it. :)

Cheers.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Sim icon with number shows SIM number in use. 1 or 2. And no, both SIMs may not be active. You can set it in the settings so that 1 SIM does not accept calls and messages and just goes to voice message. This would let you know which SIM is currently active or in use. This is for situations wherin you want your work phone active but you want your personal number offline, or vice versa.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, @chanchan05!

@brunces, here's a helpful page (at least to me it was :)):

(and I actually suspected you had already consulted the user guide, but I couldn't be sure :p and it was one of the few places where I found the icon references you posted, which I'm guessing you ran into, too :))

edit: also, I suspect/wonder if "in-use" just means "in contact with a local tower", etc. (i.e., pinging it and not really transferring data on your behalf, but just letting the tower/network know about each side).

edit: see chanchan05's response below :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
@Scary - Nope. In use means primary active. Both SIMs are receiving signals on a Dual-Sim Samsung, the only question is whether they both accept calls or if one is diverted to the primary SIM. So both will be in contact with a local tower. On my Dual SIM Galaxy V (which I use for work), I have one SIM on a different network (Globe) for data, while the second SIM (Sun Cellular) is the one I use most for calls and texts. The Globe SIM can still receive and make calls and texts though.

Upvote 0
@Scary - Nope. In use means primary active. Both SIMs are receiving signals on a Dual-Sim Samsung, the only question is whether they both accept calls or if one is diverted to the primary SIM. So both will be in contact with a local tower. On my Dual SIM Galaxy V (which I use for work), I have one SIM on a different network (Globe) for data, while the second SIM (Sun Cellular) is the one I use most for calls and texts. The Globe SIM can still receive and make calls and texts though.

Ah, thank you @chanchan05 for the kind clarification :).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones