• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plex App updated, lists Chromecast support

SlyFerret

Android Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2009
Hi All,
An update for the Plex app was available in the Play store this morning. In the "What's new" section, they state that Chromecast support for video has been added.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but will be setting up Plex on my NAS and giving it a try tonight or tomorrow.

-SF

Reactions: El Presidente
Pay monthly to play a video stored on my phone :O ! Crazy!

I have avia as well, but I thought I'd try plex since the interface is MUCH cleaner.

Thanks as always!

The Plex developers responded to one of the negative reviews about this in the Play Store and said it will be free eventually, they're only charging whilst in preview.

Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how it would work, whether you could cast local media via your handset/tab, or you'd use your tab/handset to browse your plex server then cast that way.

When I've put the wee man to bed, I'll see if there's an FAQ or readme somewhere.

If I can't find anything, I might have a mess about later, but if I can find a cheaper/free alternative, I'd rather not pay just to have a play and see how it works.

Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones