• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pls help

i hv ave aback of huawei y9 2019 on my laptop before my phone got stolen some feet days ago. i have a new samsung A32, how do i get my back up onto my new phone. pls help
how did you back up your phone? what did you backup? i never owned a huawei phone before so i do not know how they back things up. with samsung, they have a pretty nifty utility called SmartSwitch......so it depends on how and what you backed up. we need a little bit more info, if you want us to help you.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
i hv ave aback of huawei y9 2019 on my laptop before my phone got stolen some feet days ago. i have a new samsung A32, how do i get my back up onto my new phone. pls help

Did you use HiSuite, or something else? With HiSuite, I don't know if it can restore a backup to a phone that isn't a Huawei or an Honor.

Upvote 0
I used hisuite to do the back up onto my laptop. So the back up exists in the hisuite folder on the laptop
I backed up sms, contacts, call logs and some docs

Thing with HiSuite, it only works for Huawei and Honor phones AFAIK. And I've actually tried connecting HiSuite(MacOS) with a Samsung Note20 Ultra, and it didn't want to know. So apparently HiSuite only supports devices running EMUI. And I don't know if the backup file format for HiSuite can be extracted or not, like is it a binary blob? Somebody else may know?

FWIW I quite recently switched from a Huawei Mate10 to the Galaxy Note20 Ultra, and used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer my apps and all data. But of course I still had the Huawei phone.

Upvote 0
The issue with proprietary backup utilities like Samsung's Smart Switch and Huawei's HiSuite is they're optimized to work with only specified brands, and it's a matter where you need to be using that utility both to create a backup and to restore data from that backup. The issue being not all Android devices are running with the exact same directory structure -- some, like Huawei, more or less use the default Android established file/folder layout but some, especially Samsung, use its own, highly modified file/folder layout so in this matter as a good example, the HiSuite utility isn't going to be as familiar with Samsung's non-standard folder arrangement so trying to do a task like restoring data from your backup is a problem.
You might be able to at least manually copy your data over onto your new Samsung phone though. When you view that HiSuite backup on your Mac using the Mac Finder (the default file manager), do your files and documents appear to be in their native file formats stored in different folders? (i.e. photos as jpg, audio files as mp3, etc.) Of so, you might want to copy them to their appropriate folders on your Samsung phone, or use the import function on things like a browser app to add bookmarks. It's not going to be a seamless project since you're doing this all manually. But if that HiSuite backup appears to be more of a modular, single file where you can't view its internal content,that will be a problem.

Upvote 0
You might be able to at least manually copy your data over onto your new Samsung phone though. When you view that HiSuite backup on your Mac using the Mac Finder (the default file manager), do your files and documents appear to be in their native file formats stored in different folders? (i.e. photos as jpg, audio files as mp3, etc.) Of so, you might want to copy them to their appropriate folders on your Samsung phone, or use the import function on things like a browser app to add bookmarks. It's not going to be a seamless project since you're doing this all manually. But if that HiSuite backup appears to be more of a modular, single file where you can't view its internal content,that will be a problem.
SMS are likely to be the biggest problem. If you can extract your contacts from the HiSuite backup file as vcard(s) (.vcf) then you can import those into any contact manager, including copying to your phone and them importing them using your Contacts app. Other "docs" are probably just files you can copy onto the phone, as suggested here. SMS, however, don't have a "standard" backup format like vcard is for contacts: different backup tools use their own formats. So I guess the first step is to see whether you can read your SMS in HiSuite, and whether they can be exported from HiSuite and if so in what format. If you can do that then whether it's possible to get them onto the new phone is the next question.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones