• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

plz about maps?

Uh, unless it's different on the desire for some weird reason -

Set GPS on.
Open Maps app.
Hit Menu, touch Directions.
Change staring location if necessary, or leave as My Location.
Put in desired End Point.
Pick Car, Bus, Bike, Foot.
Touch Go.

You can also use Google Navigation to get turn-by-turn directions.

I don't know if I've ever gotten the 'No Route' error except when messing around (eg, walking directions to Australia or something), but I imagine it might be the result of picking the wrong 'travel type' (car, foot, etc), or trying to go somewhere without road access, or someplace Google hasn't mapped yet.

If you provide some more info, you might get better/more specific advice - does your GPS work OK? Does the Map app work fine otherwise? Does it show your current position correctly? Where are you trying to go? Has it EVER worked correctly? Things like that.

-HD

Upvote 0
Set GPS on.
Open Maps app.
Hit Menu, touch Directions.
Change staring location if necessary, or leave as My Location.
Put in desired End Point.
Pick Car, Bus, Bike, Foot.
Touch Go.
thanks all these steps already done but no benefit
You can also use Google Navigation to get turn-by-turn directions.
plz tell me from where I can get google navigation .or you mean this program already in my phon
by the way just now I have tried another place out of my place
I live In saudia arabia and tried my gps in USA it works smoothly.
I think now the problem became clear may be this serves not available in my country.

Upvote 0
thanks all these steps already done but no benefit

plz tell me from where I can get google navigation .or you mean this program already in my phon
by the way just now I have tried another place out of my place
I live In saudia arabia and tried my gps in USA it works smoothly.
I think now the problem became clear may be this serves not available in my country.

GPS navigation works with beacons/transmitters, the satellites, and receivers/processors: GPS handsets or GPS enabled phones, like yours. So GPS cannot be blocked by countries (other than the USA) like internet access can.
GPS does not require earth-bound providers (who can be pressured or forced) to get the signals to your phone.

Which would either mean the USA has blocked the satellites transmitting GPS signals to your country (but that makes no sense; why would they? It's not North Korea or Iran, is it?) or something else.
So, imo the odds are it's 'something else'. Probably a setting or preference.

You are trying GPS outside of buildings, aren't you? Your phone needs to be able to "see" (i.e. have a direct line of sight without obstructions) at least 3 (of the 27) satellites that are above the horizon at that very moment. Walls and roofs obstruct GPS signals. In cars you have better GPS reception near the windows.

OTOH: I just tried plotting routes with Google Navigation app to Rhiyadh, Jeddah, Ca

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones