1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PNG or SVG for the best result for WearOS ?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by idon, Jan 31, 2020.

1. idon

idon Newbie

Hi! I am graphic designer who hired a freelance developer to develop an Wear OS application. I made all neccessary graphics in illustrator, main background, second hand, hour hand, minute hand. The size is 320x320 and the graphics that i saved out in PNG format is pixelated and when he trying to insert it to wach face it looks like nothing like on examples i attached to the topic. I've tried to export it in SVG but my freelancer show me the same pixelated result. May to make graphics clean we need to use some secrete trick of what. How they did so nice and clean graphics?

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Why didn't you export the file as an AI or eps file?

3. idon

idon Newbie

I think this type of files is not supported by android studio

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

320x320 seems small. I think you'll generally get better results using a larger image resource and shrinking it to fit than the other way around. When I've designed custom watch faces in apps like WatchMaker I typically used PNGs that were 512x512.

Unforgiven and Dannydet like this.
  5. Dannydet

Since you are dealing with a image that's very small as the end result, I would create the master art at 4x size.... Your designer can then shrink it to fit

6. idon

idon Newbie

Just tried to do so but unfrortunately it doesn't work. When im shrinking down a bigger element it looks even worse than original one.

7. Dannydet

Make sure you are using all vector art, and NOT raster files

8. idon

idon Newbie

I think i find out the answer. We were looking at android emulator where elements looks horrible, but on actual watches it needs to look nice and smooth

9. idon

idon Newbie

it is also possible to use SVG format ( native vector format ) may be it is the key!

10. Dannydet

Svg, = scalable vector graphics, is a vector file. PNG, JPG, TIF are raster images that are not scalable without degradation

NightAngel79 likes this.
  11. idon

idon Newbie

oh, thanks a lot. I will try to use SVG files in my wachface designs

12. idon

idon Newbie

Hi! Could you please tell me what format i need to export my illustrator artwork in, SVG or PNG ?

NightAngel79 likes this.
  13. idon

idon Newbie

Hi! I just hired a freelancer to make a watchface. I saved my main artwork along with all elements ( watchhands ) and send to him. An he shows me the result i that makes me scratch my nape. In attachement first image is what i saved from illustrator and other one is what he got.
    What is goin on here ? I think it may be caused by emulator resoulution or what ?

Attached Files:

14. idon

idon Newbie

Hi! I need to test my 2 new watch faces but i don't have actual watches to test it on. apk in attachment. Tell me please how it works and your actual opinion about both of it.

Attached Files:

#14 idon, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  15. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Hi @idon,

I've merged your various threads which all seem to be discussing/investigating/asking about the same issue. Keeping the conversation in one place helps other users help you and it avoids cluttering up the forum. If you've got anything else to add about these faces you're developing please keep it in this thread.

Thanks!

Edit: for anyone who wants to try out the faces in the above post, you'll need to enable debugging on the watch and sideload the apps via ADB on your computer. It's not necessarily an easy process so here are some instructions I found: https://www.reddit.com/r/WearOS/comments/auykmi/manual_install_apk_on_wearos_watch/ehixiz0/
    I'd give it a go myself but I can't connect my watch to my workplace's wifi.

#15 codesplice, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    NightAngel79 and Unforgiven like this.
  16. Dannydet

Well, he's sent you a screen shot, so it's going to look bad to begin with. I'd have him send you a vector file of what HE created....