1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Pocket Casts

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Aug 23, 2011.

1. TRICKorDEVICE

TRICKorDEVICE Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    If we got this through the Amazon Appstore, will we be seeing updates?

Advertisement

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Depends.

I had a little email exchange with the developer on this issue last week.

People who paid for it on Amazon will get a free copy from the Google Market. People who got it as the free app will have to re-buy it from the Google Market to get updates.

Something about having to feed their kids.

I'm not sure that the fact that I "bought" the game for free should really matter.

Not sure if I should be upset with the devs or amazon either.

It's a few $s, so I didn't bother taking it any further.

EarlyMon and TRICKorDEVICE like this.
  3. TRICKorDEVICE

None

Mar 4, 2011

I'm still shocked at the way they pulled their app, sour grapes to me.

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I understand their perspective and position but I also understand they agreed to have the app be free for that day. Yes when you go to register to be a dev with Amazon the agreement does sound like no matter what they sell your app for you will get 20% of your asking price at least. But they were made aware they would get nothing for the apps given away and chose to accept that. After all was said and done I had purchased a better working app for podcasts prior to getting this one for free. Really if someone is only going to push one app for android then they shouldn't let it be a free app of the day and expect to make money off of it, if someone is just entering the market for android and wants to get their name out there then I could see it as a viable marketing plan to team with Amazon. Now if they plan on trying to release additional apps then they did find a way to get their name out there even if it was not planned.

I doubt if you got it from amazon either at full price or free you will see any updates, I would suggest trying other apps that will get updates or purchase one like doggcatcher that gets frequent updates and works ;) (I had issues with feeds not updating in pocket casts even when other podcatchers would see the updates and could download new podcasts)

5. TRICKorDEVICE

None

Mar 4, 2011

I currently just use Google Listen, however it appears they've stopped supporting it and I with it had the updated podcast icons, didn't require the actual RSS Feed to find podcasts, had a widget, and lockscreen controls.

Any suggestions?

6. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Sounds like a bait and switch tactic, almost. The dev should support it since he offered it up as the free App of the day and let the updates be available from Amazon. You should not have to buy the App if you like it since it was not advertised as a trial.

The same thing happened with a game called Apparatus which was a free App of the day, but it was eventually put back on the Amazon App Store with updates. Maybe this will be, too.