• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcast and sports scores apps?

jimbone18

Lurker
May 2, 2010
I'm looking for two particular apps. The most important one is a podcast app where I can subscribe to an RSS feed and have it automatically download the last 10 or so podcasts that get released each day (or at least have this as a configurable option). I listen to a sports radio station every morning and I have been downloading the podcasts with iTunes for the time being and putting them on to my iPod but there has to be an app for Android that can download podcasts, right? I've got BeyondPod right now and it seems a bit clunky. I've heard good things about PodCatcher but since its a paid app, I haven't taken the dive yet. Would prefer a free one obviously but if paid is the only way to go, I'll drop the $5-$10 or whatever it is for PodCatcher. Any recommendations?

Also, where are the apps for viewing sports scores. Does ESPN not have an app? They've got an iPhone app. They better jump on the Android bandwagon because we ain't going anywhere. Does anyone recommend an app for quick views of sports scores and even better, stream sports highlights. Basically, an all around sports app would be sweet!

Recommendations needed! Thanks!

Google Listen was recommended to me to handle my podcasts. I found a few bugs that have made me rethink my decision.

1. some podcasts will download over and over eating up battery life.
2. I have been 80% through a podcast and it restarts with no way to get back to the point I was at. FastForward does not work on all podcasts.

If anyone knows a fix I'm all ears.

I'm not a sports fan so I can offer very little about sports score apps.

Upvote 0
I use Listen for my day to day use, haven't experienced any bugs. It's simple and easy to use.

.Podkast. has much more content, plus videos, but it's terrible to use quickly and efficiently. I keep it around for general browsing of stuff I don't know about and videos. It's worth it alone for the TED videos.

I've heard Doggcatcher is good, but haven't spent the money. Will try it someday, but I'm still trying Listen and .Podkast out.

For sports: Sports tap.

Upvote 0
I'm in teh same boat as you. I purchased Dogg Catcher for $7 and after a day with it I sold my IPod Touch. It does everything I want and I love it. I use it for all my sports podcasts (DP Show, Boomer and Carton, Fantasy Focus, etc.).

You can try it out for 24 hours, and if it doesn't suit you then you can get your money back. I used Google Listen and a few others that I can't remember now, but Dogg Catcher was my favorite by far. Like I said, for me it was worth the money, and I listen to podcasts everyday driving around for work. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm in teh same boat as you. I purchased Dogg Catcher for $7 and after a day with it I sold my IPod Touch. It does everything I want and I love it. I use it for all my sports podcasts (DP Show, Boomer and Carton, Fantasy Focus, etc.).

You can try it out for 24 hours, and if it doesn't suit you then you can get your money back. I used Google Listen and a few others that I can't remember now, but Dogg Catcher was my favorite by far. Like I said, for me it was worth the money, and I listen to podcasts everyday driving around for work. Hope this helps.

Good to hear, I was hoping it was worth the money. I'm still giving my free options their paces, to see what works and what doesn't, so when I buy Doggcatcher I know what I'm looking for.

and Fantasy Focus FTW.

Upvote 0
I looked into Doggcatcher initially, but was turned off for aesthetic reasons. I might still go back, but right now I'm using Beyond Pod, and am very happy with it. Right now it's catching several webcomics, my top 6 or so podcasts, and a few video ones for me. Works flawlessly, and has the customizibality to automatically download X number of each cast of your choice, just like you mentioned, but I've been using its streaming option pretty heavily as well. It has a paid version, which I will probably upgrade to soon.

I am very fond of the user friendly interface. It's incredibly easy to use the build in web-jump buttons, or the "feed search" functions to find what you're looking for and add it. Supposedly the paid version has more features, but the free one is already very nice :)

Of course, I've heard great things about Doggcatcher, too, so it's probably nice software as well. But Beyond Pod is definitely worth a look.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones