• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcast app

Hey guys!

New Android user here. I have an HTC Incredible. My previous phone was a bb Storm. The only thing I miss about it is an app called PodTrapper. It was an excellent app for downloading podcasts. I'm looking for something close for my new phone but so far everything is lacking in some area. Here are the features I would like to have:

*It MUST do video podcasts.
*It should autoupdate and download the media
*It should autodelete watched/listened episodes
*It has to let me manually enter URLs and username/password

I can't find anything that does all of this. Does anyone know of an app that does this and does it well? Paid app is ok... Podtrapper was $10 and well worth it!

Hey guys!

New Android user here. I have an HTC Incredible. My previous phone was a bb Storm. The only thing I miss about it is an app called PodTrapper. It was an excellent app for downloading podcasts. I'm looking for something close for my new phone but so far everything is lacking in some area. Here are the features I would like to have:

*It MUST do video podcasts.
*It should autoupdate and download the media
*It should autodelete watched/listened episodes
*It has to let me manually enter URLs and username/password

I can't find anything that does all of this. Does anyone know of an app that does this and does it well? Paid app is ok... Podtrapper was $10 and well worth it!
I've been using DoggCatcher (paid app, can't remember how much), and it works great! It does everything you're looking for. Give it a try!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've wanted to try doggcatcher too, but there is no trial! It's not like $10 is a lot of money, but I'd still at least want to give it a spin before i pay for it.

You have 24 hours to request a refund if you don't like it. I don't think you'll be disappointed though. Doggcatcher is a great app. I tried Listen and it just doesn't compare.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and bought yesterday, and it is the best podcatcher i've seen for android. I preferred podtrapper for blackberry, but until (or if) it's released for android it will do nicely :)

I like the idea of Listen, but though it was confusing and hard to use. So Doggcatcher is it for the moment :)

I came over from the Blackberry also and LOVED PodTrapper! I wish it was available for Android.. :(

Upvote 0
I didn't see it in the market (I'm running 2.2 on my Evo). Did you have to pull from their website?

Yes it is beta and available on his site (versatilemonkey). However it does not have all the functionality of what you are accustomed to with the Blackberry version. It's a great start...but I'm looking for scheduling (so it can be scheduled to check for new podcasts on a nightly basis) and for it not to have to be open all the time to do so. Probably nothing out there that can do that yet...

At any rate, it was nice seeing a "familiar face" on the Android coming over from a Blackberry but there's a bit more work to be done in the functionality department. I'm sure Marcus is busy with it though. I've had notifications to download 2 updated betas since I downloaded it 4 or 5 days ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones