1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

podcast help

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by bethany66, May 2, 2012.

1. bethany66

bethany66 Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    analyst
    Alaska
    I probably just have no idea what I am doing--which is why I am asking for help from the experts. On my previous device, I had an application called Dr Podder which worked great for me in downloading podcasts. On my new Android device, I am having a problem, specifically in finding the podcasts I want.

I have installed several podcast apps (Listen, Beyond Pod, DoubleTwist) and in doing searches, haven't had any luck finding the specific podcast feeds I want. I am wanting podcasts for local talk radio shows. On the websites for these stations, it shows they have podcasts which are available to download but in searching within the podcast apps using the name of the radio station and/or the name of the program, I get no results.

I have purchased/installed Tune-In Radio Pro which I love, but that doesn't help me when I realize after a broadcast is over that I would like a recording of that broadcast.

What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement

2. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you know the websites for these stations, that should be all you need. :) I never bother with the search feature on podcast apps because I can never find the podcasts I want.

Anyhow, what you need is the link to the podcast's XML file (basically, a text file that tells the app where to download the podcast, what its called, episodes, etc.).

For example, the XML file for the Trance Around the World radio show is:

http://www.tatw.co.uk/podcast.xml (mind you, its going to look like a bunch of code and gibberish or it might open up to a nice page that can interpret it, depending on your browser, either way, all you need is the URL).

But anyhow, you need to look for a link like that (sometimes its called a "Feed" link). Then all you should need to do is add that URL to the list of feeds in the podcast app, and you should be set.

However, if you want to, you can post the links to the website here, and maybe one of us can figure it out for you.

bethany66 likes this.
  3. bethany66

bethany66 Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    analyst
    Alaska
    Demche, thank you for the reply. I'm at least glad to hear that it isn't just me who doesn't have luck with the Search functions of these podcast apps. I will try what you have suggested. Looks like now would be the time to learn the cut-and-paste functions on my new device as well. Wish me luck!