• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcast Suggestions

ninjakyle

Apr 23, 2010
Indiana
www.kyleheimann.com
Finally bought DoggCatcher and love it as a Podcatcher (audio and video)

Now looking for podcast suggestions.

Some of my favorites:

TWIT (tech)
TWIG (tech and google)
Android Phone Fans
AppJudgment (iphone and android apps)
The Digg Reel (popular youtube videos)
Hak5 (misc hacking)
ROFL (comedy)
The Nerdist (interview usually with comedians by a comedian, Chris Hardwick)
GeekBeat.tv (short tech update)
The Android App Show
The RELEVANT Podcast (news and media with a hip/funny Christian slant)
Scam School (magic tricks)

Any suggestions?

My favorite podcast is Coverville.

Updated several times a week, the 'caster plays cover tunes... sometimes it's one band's cover story... covers of their songs and songs they have covered, sometimes it's just requests, sometimes it's a hodgepodge, and sometimes it's a theme (halloween, christmas, etc.)

Also, SModcast, which is a podcast by Scott Mossier, who is Kevin Smith's producer. Kevin is usually involved as well.

Reactions: booyamachine
Upvote 0
I also subscribe to youtube's video of the day.

I use BeyondPod, the free version. It downloads the 'casts to your SD card (I haven't found a way to force it to the internal memory.) The only drawback I've seen so far in not getting the 'pro' version is that you can only download one file at a time. It does give you the option of streaming or downloading. Also, if you download one, play and delete it, it still remembers that you downloaded it, and the button says 're-download' instead of 'download'... it's been pretty good about keeping track of my usage.

Upvote 0
How is Doggcatcher? Does it download the podcast mp3 files or does it stream them? I have been using Stitcher for a few months and really enjoy the convenience of streaming podcasts as opposed to downloading them. Although when it comes to music podcasts, the quality suffers in a stream.

I put off buying it for a long time and tried every free podcatcher and was using .Podkast for video and BeyondPod for audio (I think).

Doggcatcher will download or stream (as will several free ones). My favorite feature is to set it to update and download new stuff when it is plugged in/charging and on wifi (basically at night when I am home). Then I can watch what has been downloaded in the car, on a plane, or wherever I want.

It is the only app I have paid for so far and I am pretty sure I have gotten my moneys worth in one week.

App I use more than any other anymore.

Reactions: endorice
Upvote 0
I live for podcasts. Here of some favs:

/filmcast (slashfilmcast) - if you're a movie buff in the slightest you need to add this asap, the best podcast out there
Firewall & Iceberg - two hitfix.com tv guys, Alan Sepinwall is THE BEST critic in the business imho
The BS Report with Bill Simmons - Sports, Entertainment, Hilarity. If you like Simmons you'll love it, if you don't you won't.
The Sound of Young America - a younger perspective on an NPR-style interview show. Started off with mostly comedians but now has a wide variety of guests.
Jordan, Jesse Go! - Jesse (the sound of young america host) and his pal jordan muck it up for an hour or so, usually with a hilarious comedian guest.

Those, along with the previously mentioned This American Life and Carolla, are all can't miss for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones