• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcasts: Google Listen or Doggcatcher?

Vance

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
OK, I am coming from iPod Touch's native app, so that is what I have to compare it to. What I am looking for is an app that can subscribe to my podcasts, download them automatically as new episodes become available (or notify me if one is available to stream), delete them when listened to (if downloaded and not streamed) and remember my playback position if I have to do something else for a bit.

Which app is better for these things?

Also, does either have a feature where it will only download the latest episodes when in WiFi range only, to save on bandwidth usage?

And, is there an option on either to press a single button to have it go see if there are any new episodes of my subscribed podcasts (like the "refresh" in iTunes)?

I usually just download them, because with beyond pod you can set up a schedule and it will automatically download new episodes at a certain time. So I have a podcast that I have set to download at 3 a.m. every day so that I can listen to it on my way to work. If you are streaming you have to worry about areas that don't have coverage.

Upvote 0
As someone who's used both, there's really no comparison between Listen and Doggcatcher. Listen is a great free option for someone who wants to get into podcasts or who doesn't really use them heavily, Dogg is a much more polished, feature-rich application.

DT

Thanks, that helps a lot. I have been a power-podcast-listener for many years and I have about 20 or so I listen to regularly. It sounds like Doggcatcher might be worth the investment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones