• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Points of Observation ...

starkraving

Android Expert
Apr 27, 2013
Las Vegas, Nv
As a themer and contributor I'm not looking for praise or thanks but I do find it unsettling when you share or post a project and have a 1000 views in 24 hours...with zero feedback, good, bad or indifferent. Which makes it hard to gauge what's going on. I do know its a entry level device with a minimal development group but if the end users want continued support they need to comment and through that encourage further support or development. I can literally post a wallpaper for my N4 on another site and get 25 comments, a wallpaper lol. Not a theme, mod or anything of consequence. People who lurk and just download are hurting the progress of this device. Developers like an active forum and active participation. Sadly this device is falling into the "Legacy /Low Activity" category. Anyway just my 2

Reactions: bigbpc
As a themer and contributor I'm not looking for praise or thanks but I do find it unsettling when you share or post a project and have a 1000 views in 24 hours...with zero feedback, good, bad or indifferent. Which makes it hard to gauge what's going on. I do know its a entry level device with a minimal development group but if the end users want continued support they need to comment and through that encourage further support or development. I can literally post a wallpaper for my N4 on another site and get 25 comments, a wallpaper lol. Not a theme, mod or anything of consequence. People who lurk and just download are hurting the progress of this device. Developers like an active forum and active participation. Sadly this device is falling into the "Legacy /Low Activity" category. Anyway just my 2

Upvote 0
Those of you who do work on this device, do great things & I for one appreciate all the effort!!!

Its a good device and there's a interest ... we just got to get the people who are lurking and downloading to give some feedback, critiques or suggestions ...its not about praise or being thanked its about people being actively involved in the process. Activity fuels activity :)

Upvote 0
Its a good device and there's a interest ... we just got to get the people who are lurking and downloading to give some feedback, critiques or suggestions ...its not about praise or being thanked its about people being actively involved in the process. Activity fuels activity :)

Agreed. I appreciate the feedback I do get on Sleipnir, but with hundreds (literally) of downloads for each build, and only a few posts of feedback, there could easily be several bugs that are going unmentioned and won't end up being fixed as a result! Lol :)

Reactions: starkraving
Upvote 0
Nothing personal, But on the "Let's see your Elite Home screen!" thread, I got tired of seeing your daily wallpaper change. I started only looking at it if someone else posted. I really didn't care what someone's wallpaper was on a daily basis. (I realized you did other tweaks as well.) For me, it was just to see and general feel for what was out there as far as launchers and how different people set their phones up.

I wouldn't have said anything, but you did ask for negative feedback too so I posted this. I may be the only one who feels this way so don't put to much stock in it or let it upset you. Like I said, nothing personal. I work in IT and it is pretty much a thankless job. You can jump thru hoops making code changes to make something simpler for someone (even though you think it is ridiculous) without so much as a "thanks". I rarely get a thanks, good job, the change helped, etc. That just the way it is I suppose - it's expected. You're the IT guy, it's what you do.

Upvote 0
Nothing personal, But on the "Let's see your Elite Home screen!" thread, I got tired of seeing your daily wallpaper change. I started only looking at it if someone else posted. I really didn't care what someone's wallpaper was on a daily basis. (I realized you did other tweaks as well.) For me, it was just to see and general feel for what was out there as far as launchers and how different people set their phones up.

I wouldn't have said anything, but you did ask for negative feedback too so I posted this. I may be the only one who feels this way so don't put to much stock in it or let it upset you. Like I said, nothing personal. I work in IT and it is pretty much a thankless job. You can jump thru hoops making code changes to make something simpler for someone (even though you think it is ridiculous) without so much as a "thanks". I rarely get a thanks, good job, the change helped, etc. That just the way it is I suppose - it's expected. You're the IT guy, it's what you do.

Not upsetting or negative at all lol...I stopped posting setups there because it seemed I was the only one doing it anyway(and yeah more than wallpapers I ported xhdpi skins to this mdpi device and made several for UCCW.)plus I don't care for exercises in futility. I agree IT is thankless profession, especially to layman who have no idea what goes into it. However you're paid and compensated for your effort so its apples and oranges. Same thing can't be said for themers, rom cooks and developers here. But my point is if a thread has thousands of views and zero feedback its not encouraging the developer, its not pointing out bugs and its not moving a project forward. This is a "community" and projects are a community effort. If the "community" doesn't participate it becomes less worthwhile. Thanks for your response. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I agree with everything above. I was one of those people that just lurked on here waiting for cm7/9/10 to be released but when I saw everyone leaving and no more development activity I decided to try to get it working myself and look how far we got and i know it isnt the most stable and smoothest rom in the world but we can get it there if everyone posted their feedback, opinions and ideas even if it sounds stupid. I would also like to see more activity with theming,wallpapers and mods.

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0
I know that everyone loves all the major roms because they're so well built, even if they just lurk around like I do most of the time. If I was able to theme/create a rom that was as amazing as the other ones, then by all means I would contribute just as much as you guys do :D but I'm just a Junior in high school, who started his first job this year, so I don't really have free time to do that. I've been thinking about going back and revamping my old rom because like Stark said, Activity fuels activity.

Upvote 0
I know that everyone loves all the major roms because they're so well built, even if they just lurk around like I do most of the time. If I was able to theme/create a rom that was as amazing as the other ones, then by all means I would contribute just as much as you guys do :D but I'm just a Junior in high school, who started his first job this year, so I don't really have free time to do that. I've been thinking about going back and revamping my old rom because like Stark said, Activity fuels activity.

Yeah finding time for projects is everybody's biggest issue lol...nice job on your rom btw. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
True especially I'm not a regular dev everything posted by me on this site is done on the phone itself no pc.Just that bad ass

Sigh...the word "Dev" oh how it's misused ...if you don't actually contribute code or actually "develop" an application you're not a dev, you're a rom cook, themer, moder/hacker or contributor. At least that's how I see it. :eek:
Considering the phone doesn't run Java in a path variable and there's no mobile SDK or a way to decompile and recompile on the device itself(that I'm aware of) or no way to..
mkdir android
cd android
repo init-u git: //android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
reposync
make
:D :cool:
you're VERY limited..stuff like "dirty" ports and build prop edits maybe a script or so but no real beefy changes can be made without a PC, github, SDk, Eclipse and other tools...I dunno, not doubting any of your contributions just saying working purely off the devices is limited...:thinking:

Reactions: cfreeman90
Upvote 0
Another point...for the Kyocera guys...has anyone even thought to email Koush or at least look at his bootstrap recovery he did for the DX back in the day, instead of just bad mouthing the manufacturer? We had TONS of roms and themes even before Moto unlocked the boot loaders (no custom kernels though). Just a thought. :)

I was in the Rise community before the Elite. We(actually the devs) tried everything. The problem is the Firmware. The bootloader checks for signed images. If its not signed by Kyocera or the carrier it will not boot to the modified recovery(even a repacked stock recovery) or brick itself.

Upvote 0
I was in the Rise community before the Elite. We(actually the devs) tried everything. The problem is the Firmware. The bootloader checks for signed images. If its not signed by Kyocera or the carrier it will not boot to the modified recovery(even a repacked stock recovery) or brick itself.

Boot strapping hijacks the recovery and circumvents signature checks. :)

Upvote 0
Another point...I'm glad to see people helping new users...I hate the word "noob" ...as a point of commentary some of us who have been around since the beginning or for a while develop an elitist attitude and are prone to being snarky with new users.
Granted I do encourage reading relevant threads/basic introductory info for your device because chances are what you want to know is there. But if there's a pressing issue or something you're unclear on feel free to ask anything.
None of us were born masters of all things android...we were all "noobs" at some point.

Reactions: aml1025
Upvote 0
Another point...Why I love the android platform...I've been a smartphone user since the Blackberry 7100C(yeah I'm old). I switched to the G1 when it was released and have been a fan ever since...when Jesusfreke and Steve Kondik (cyanogen) started developing for android I was further hooked. Then came AmonRa, Koush, Peter Alfonso, Manup456, Xedous, JCase and so on and our community grew and blossomed. Themes, mods and custom roms and kernels rained down...but the most amazing part of the android root community is this...developers keep dated and older devices viable long past their intended shelf life. When carriers and manufacturers have moved on and EOL'd a device the community is there. Devices that were never supposed to see GB are running ICS even JB lol...this is what makes us unique. Its never why do it? Its always why not do it? I mean the G1 has a CM10 build...its buggy as all hell but the point is its on it and running. This is why I love this platform, it's ever growing and a joint learning experience between developers, contributors and end users...viva the little green guy. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Hi,

I was very active on the forums when I was running the Optimus V. One almost had
to be active if you wanted the V to run anything because of all the memory management nightmares.

I've been on the Elite for about a year now. It is starting to show it's age a bit but I'm still stock everything but rooted. When I first looked when I got the Elite, not much had been created for it and seemed like there were challenges to doing any
work with it.

I'm not a dev person, just a lowly end user, however, I do really love when people
who know what they are doing are able to create the custom roms that remove the
bloat and make the phones feel like new.

I'm stopping by today to see what is available in either a cleaner / faster ROM with
the same version of the OS or even better if the Elite can run newer versions of Android. Just started lurking so I have a lot of work to do to get up to speed.

The main thing I wanted to say is "How MUCH I appreciate all the work that everyone
does that knows how to tweak these phones."

My hope is my "THANKS" to all of you is not too little too late.

My elite has been really solid for the time I've had it. (I'm on the grandfathered $25 plan). It's time for an upgrade. I never used to wait as it was super snappy, not the
case anymore.

Thanks so much for all you do. I look forward to a "fresh new feel" to my Elite as it
fit's all my needs.

Robert

Upvote 0
CM goes "corporate"...well all I can say is congratulations to Steve and his team. They've done so much for the community and with this funding they've received and the restructuring of the core team I'm sure they'll continue to do great things.

I'm also sure we'll hear words like "sell out" etc. But the facts are they've given and given and put so much of their personal time and energy into CM.

That being said anyone who begrudged them for releasing a paid app or whatever they wanted to do to generate money is a selfish and unappreciative person.

I wish them every success in whatever commercial endeavor they go on and if I can support them I will. Congratulations Cyanogen! Well earned and definitely deserved. :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones