1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[POLL] Can it get any better?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cougar214, May 28, 2011.

1. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

I know this may be premature but this question is begging for an answer, for me at least. I know the .596 official release just got dropped but do you guys think this will be the end of the line for the DX as far as updates go?

What are the chances its not gonna get any better than the .596 Gingerbread for the droid x? Do you think Moto will continue to update Android for DX users or move on to bigger and better horizons? (Phone wise).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

i say we might see 2.3.4 or some other incremental update to Gingerbread like when we got 2.2.1 but other than that...nah...this will be the last full version update we see

3. z0mb13m4n

z0mb13m4n Android Enthusiast

Personally I think we'll get one more update, but it will be a bug fix kind of update. I seriously doubt we'll get ice cream sandwich (if that is the next iteration of Android).

4. Steven58

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking positive. I'm definitely getting Ice Cream Sammich and beyond. Of course, I will be updating my phone in order to do so. :p

Bugly likes this.
  5. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Omg. Steven I knew you were still lerking around here.....lol.

Steven is me friend......wait a minute......what am I talkin about......Steven is my only friend.....sigh....I'm so lonely

Steven58 likes this.
  6. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert

've already got a leaked build of Ice Cream Sandwich on my X.
    I broke into Motorola's R&D center and grabbed a Terabyte of info

Apparently, Moto is testing out Honeycomb compatibility on their bigger devices.
    If anyone wants, the HC build is extremely stable and the only bug I can find is that Chuck Norris jokes don't load correctly.

The ICS build is still in early stages, but I sent it to birdman to see if he can make it a little better.

And if you're wondering if I grabbed the Bootloader keys the answer is yes. But I'm holding them ransom till someone buys me a Galaxy Tab 10.1

7. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Please give us the keys to the bootloader so we can start creating custom kernels which would give us the ability to start working towards getting Quadrant scores like this...

YouTube - ‪T-Mobile LG G2x Quadrant running Bionix 2 ROM + Trinity kernel + Pimp My CPU = 3715‬‏

.... I know speeds like that are ridiculous and there's no need at all for them. I don't keep my G2x OC'd to 1400 all the time, it's just fun to push them to their limit and see how far they will go. It's so sad IMO that we'll never know what the DX is truly capable of so long as our bootloader is kept under lock and key. Being a single core processor I doubt we could push it THAT high, but I'm thinking high 20's would be very doable out of the incredibly powerful processor inside our Motorolas.

Untaped potential... oh the humanity!!!

8. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

the FPS numbers you're getting in the graphics portions of those tests literally make the X look like its made out of two Popsicle sticks and some chewing gum...

Outlaw71 likes this.

9. That's some MacGyver stuff there!

But I'm like Metfanant I could possibility see one more update but that would be pushing it.

10. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

when i was first watching the video through the first couple graphics tests i was like..."well it looks like its around twice the FPS im seeing on the X...it isn't THAT great..." lol then it hit the spinning planet test and shizz hit the fan...my X ran away and hid in the closet lol

11. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Come on now. I can get those scores......on my computer.......lol

12. Steven58

Wow. That's fast!

13. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

you see the FPS its pulling in the tests?...my X thinks its a StarTac now :(

Edit: Speaking of the StarTac...i wish somehow you could install Android on one...i'd love to see what it gets in Quadrant lol

14. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

The FPS on that last vid test is unbelievable. I'm O/C'ed to 1.2 and only get about 14 FPS on that test. My poor little DX just took a hit to his pride......lol.

15. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Yeah, I think the Nvidia drivers are great. Even my Xoom can get 60fps on the spinning planet, and it's running the benchmark at 1280x720 resolution. I dunno why the SGX530 can't seem to do too well on that particular test.

My SNS doesn't even do too well in that one (it has the SGX540 GPU), but I do beat the Tegra 2 in the longer 3D test :D

YouTube - ‪Nexus S 4000+ Quadrant Run‬‏

As for the actual "Poll" (where's the poll?), I think Gingerbread is the last update the DX is getting. Let's not forget, it actually went through 3 full versions of Android! Started off on Eclair.

16. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

My Droid X doesn't like your phone either Fab :mad:

17. kg2128

kg2128 Well-Known Member

Would love it if they get another major update out but I'll be happy with the .596 for the rest of the life of my Droid X, especially if more custom roms come out.

18. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert

Ya just had to one-up me eh Fab?

Lol, j/k... I wasn't in any way trying to put down the DX with that video, I'm merely expressing my frustrations with the politics behind the locked bootloaders on just about every Motorola device released since the OG Droid. This is the stuff I want to be able to do with my DX, I'd love to be able to push this badboy to its limits like that and explore what she's capable of.

And the more I play with my G2x, the more frusterated I get thinking about it. I just don't see the point behind it, I don't understand why Motorola can't give us the same 'Freedom Phone' that LG has given us. What's the difference? How has leaving the bootloader unlocked left the G2x vulnerable to would be software thieves or whatever it is Motorola claims they're trying to protect their 'proprietary information' from?

I just don't get it. All I see is that we get to have more fun playing around with the G2x than we do with the DX. Not that being able to flash custom kernels is important to everyone out there, I'd guestimate less than 5% of all LG G2x owners will wind up flashing custom ROMs and kernels and pushing the processing speeds to their max for fun like this. Is it really worth using military incription to keep us out and spoil all of our fun?

Seems rather pointless if you ask me.

19. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Outlaw, I think what they are doing is making it, by locking down the boot loader, damn hard for anyone to copy the software for the purpose of restructuring it into another OS for profit.

This isn't a new concept. Every software engineer trys to keep their work locked down so no one can copy it and they make the big bucks because they are the only ones with THAT os.

But you are right. I don't see the harm in unlocking the boot loader. Sure, it's probably gonna be modified ten ways to sunday, but the fact is we would still need the original os to work with. So no money lost on their end. And lets not forget that we are just talking about modifying it to our liking. We aren't trying to steal their work to make money.

It will always be their software. We just wanna be able to do more with it.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews