• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poll: How has Google Fi service been for you?

How has Project Fi service been for you?

• Dropped Calls: Never or rare

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Dropped Calls: Sometimes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Dropped Calls: Fequently

• Call Quality: Great

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Call Quality: Average

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Call Quality: Poor

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Data Service: Good coverage, good speeds

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Data Service: Good coverage, slow speeds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Data Service: Bad coverage, good speeds

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Data Service: Bad coverage, slow speeds

• Total voters
I am almost a month into having service. I am on my second Nexus 6 and had about 4 SIM cards change outs. Often when not on wifi, I am experiencing "Sign into network" and a double tap shows a screen with "You SIM card is no longer active" . Voice calls seem to work but the data network just is unreliable. Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Reactions: BobbyBraxton
Upvote 0
no. none. i have been on fi well over a month as well. sprint sim, but launch day purchased goog nex6, stock never rooted.

had an initial issue with provisioning sprint with the service (was documented in the fi community via the mods) as many other users on sprint did, but after that hiccup (which lasted all but a few hours) the service has been stellar.

Reactions: BobbyBraxton
Upvote 0
I have been scouring the internet only to find little bits and pieces of information here and there. I was hoping to make a centralized thread where actual users of google fi could tap in with feedback. Think of this like the amazon rating system. What did you think of it? How well did wifi calling/texting work? Did your phone correctly prioritize wifi connections over carrier in your opinion? Is there a way to shut off carrier data entirely and just treat the phone as a wifi only phone? (I am considering actually turning the "cellular data" option off when i get my phone)

Reactions: ella69
Upvote 0
I have been scouring the internet only to find little bits and pieces of information here and there. I was hoping to make a centralized thread where actual users of google fi could tap in with feedback. Think of this like the amazon rating system. What did you think of it? How well did wifi calling/texting work? Did your phone correctly prioritize wifi connections over carrier in your opinion? Is there a way to shut off carrier data entirely and just treat the phone as a wifi only phone? (I am considering actually turning the "cellular data" option off when i get my phone)
Yes, you can entirely disable data if you wish.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can entirely disable data if you wish.

Are you a google fi user? Have you disabled cellular data entirely? If so, have you still *received* calls, voicemails, and texts (in a timely manner)? If so, in theory this would allow someone to have a 20$ per month phone bill if they were willing to give up receiving those while not on wifi (me).

I'm mostly interested in call quality, text receipt speed, and most importantly, if i were to get a call while off of wifi when coming back onto wifi do i get that voicemail notification quickly. If yes, I may choose to hold out for fi

Upvote 0
Are you a google fi user? Have you disabled cellular data entirely? If so, have you still *received* calls, voicemails, and texts (in a timely manner)? If so, in theory this would allow someone to have a 20$ per month phone bill if they were willing to give up receiving those while not on wifi (me).

I'm mostly interested in call quality, text receipt speed, and most importantly, if i were to get a call while off of wifi when coming back onto wifi do i get that voicemail notification quickly. If yes, I may choose to hold out for fi

One key thing to realize is that you are only going to pay for data you use. Even if you start off on the $30 plan, and pay for 1GB of data, so long as you don't use data you will get a $10 credit every month -- you'll only be paying $20.

I don't know if you can actually tell Google you don't want to use data and get on a $20 "plan" with no data, hopefully someone here can clear that point up. The fact remains that you can "simulate" that plan by disabling data on the phone, it just costs the extra $10 upfront (the first payment of $30).

Upvote 0
I know I can simulate that plan and thats what I want to do. I dont need a formal $20 per month plan, that's not what i desire. The $30 dollar plan with $10 credit is the same thing - I'm happy with that.

What I was trying to ask in the post you quoted was if someone who *is on* fi right now can test this type of usage out for me. I was hoping someone could be super nice and turn their cellular data off in the settings and test:
  1. Someone calling them when they are on wifi - how many rings did you hear before going to voicemail (lets you know how quickly you received the call).
  2. Someone text you and time how long the text takes to arrive. (Would need to use an alternative reliable form of communication to time it - such as both people being logged onto steam on their computer and saying ok texting you... now and then counting how long it takes to get it).
  3. Someone leave a voicemail while you're not on wifi (could just turn your wifi off on phone). When you turn wifi back on, how long does it take for the phone to notify you of voicemail?
I understand this is a lot to ask of someone who doesn't even know me. But if anyone on fi were willing to test this, I would be forever thankful!

Upvote 0
1. This is not going to be a standard answer. This can vary depending on the wifi network, congestion, latency, etc.
2. I get sms messages in good time. This is also not going to be standard across the board as again it depends on local wifi network, congestion, latency, etc, and the sending carrier can play a part... Someone from att sending you a message may take a second or two longer than Someone from tmo or sprint, etc.

3. Again, see #1.

The fi network is nothing but Sprints network and tmo network,so if you have good coverage from both you will be fine. The network is solid and reliable. As stated I've been on board since the first invites and I've had solid use.

Upvote 0
This will probably come off like I think I know everything (which I don't think that so here we go). I'm a software developer for a living and very good at it. I understand 1-3 are dependent on other variables like network congestion and the sending carrier. I also don't care that it could have variance, I simply want to know real world data points.

Thus, I am asking someone who is on Fi to respond with their experience. I thought the point of this forum was to share Fi experience and I'm asking for that information - not an explanation of why that information will vary. That's why we allow multiple people to respond with their varying experiences (information/data).

As to your last comment about the fi network being nothing but sprint and tmo, please re-read what #1-3 are asking. The whole point of my ask is specifically around disabling carrier data entirely (sprint and tmo no longer matter, only wifi is active) and treating the phone as a "wifi only phone".

Upvote 0
i am on fi. first invites. sad to know i did not make that point clear.

yes you can disable cellular data. the phone can work on wifi only. at that point if you keep cellular OFF, the phone will seek out wifi networks and connect to open ones that meet their strict guidelines.

how good or bad that experience is depends on the network you are connected to. google fi doesn't do anything magical to the network, it just connects to it after it has verified its been deemed secure. if it is not on googles list of secure networks AND you can connect to it (eg. you already have the credentials or its a free spot like at starbucks, etc) you can still make calls but they wont be secure.

if you go to a friends house who has wifi and you already have their login credentials to access their site, you can use wifi there. fi probably wont even know the site so it will not play in setting it up.

if i left something out, let a brotha know.

if you only want to use the phone on wifi only, you dont need fi for that. use google hangouts, skype, whatsapp, or any of a number of voip calling apps avail to make free wifi calls.

if you DO have fi and are on wifi only, AND fi sniffs out a secured wifi network to vpn to, that would be the only difference over using a standalone voip type app.

my experience is this: i have not had any lag or echo type calls or robo voice sounding calls or gibberish calls.. all of my calls have been just fine. i use wifi probably more than cellular since i am around wifi nearly everyday and the calls are crisp as your business suit shirt after you get it from the cleaners...

clear as mud??? :p

Reactions: wakeboarder3780
Upvote 0
I've been on PFi since mid July. I've tested out WiFi mode only in August a few times by placing my phone in airplane mode and turning WiFi back on. I received and placed a few calls without incident, meaning there was no echo or garbled voices and I was able to answer incoming calls on the first attempt.

As for texting, 90% of the people I text use iSheeps and they've not complained about delay or double texts which would happen before when I was with Verizon.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys. owen sixteen (hilarious name btw) did you ever have anyone call you while you were out of wifi range and then come back into wifi range and then get a voicemail notification? If so was it prompt in notifying you? The reason I ask is because today what I suffer from with my current carrier is very delayed voicemail notifications which have caused me a lot of stress in certain situations.

I would go full blown on wifi only if I didn't need gps once in a while. I have to travel for work on occasion and at that point gps becomes a beneficial part of life. What I'd really love to do is be able to allow certain exclusions for turning cellular data off. That would be awesome because when i say i want cellular data off all the time, what i *really* mean is I want to turn cellular data off for all the crap that doesnt matter to me. Social network apps, email, games, etc are all non critical components of my life and not something i care to pay data for. Navigation (gps) on the other hand I'd like to allow through because it wont use data unless i fire up navigation.

Appreciate the info folks keep it coming! OH one random question for those on Fi that I haven't seen answered in the FAQ. Do you get to choose your phone number? I have no interest in bringing my existing number with me, but I do have an interest in making sure I have an area code for my area and it would be even more awesome if there was a way I could search the available pool for available numbers to get one that is "cool" to me. Anyone know if choosing a custom number from the pool of available ones is possible?

Edit: whoaaaa I just got my invite! to answer my own question - no you cannot pick a custom number through the initial invite setup process, going to call support and see whats available and report back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been using it for about 2 weeks here in Atlanta on a new N5X. I notice no difference AT ALL between call quality, stability and ease of connection compared to my previous experiences on AT&T and Verizon. Battery life on my N5X lasts easily all day. I have always left my wifi on previous phones. I down loaded the SignalCheck Lite app and find that I am usually on the T-Mobile network, but have also notice a half a dozen calls made on wifi and occasionally if I'm out driving it will use the Spring network. I'm looking forward to trying it in Europe, which is what really attracted me to it.

Upvote 0
I putting for a invite last week got it last night wow. I thought it would takes months since it took over a month for the inbox invite..

I have to wait till march to switch from AT&T which project fi help center said would be fine their isn't any expiration date on invite.
Question....
Since project fi at this time doesn't offer insurance on phones be financed where to get insurance?

Upvote 0
I putting for a invite last week got it last night wow. I thought it would takes months since it took over a month for the inbox invite..

I have to wait till march to switch from AT&T which project fi help center said would be fine their isn't any expiration date on invite.
Question....
Since project fi at this time doesn't offer insurance on phones be financed where to get insurance?

Google offers Nexus Protect. http://phandroid.com/2015/09/29/google-nexus-protect-details/

Upvote 0
Ok, quick question for those of you that are already using Fi. I am seriously considering switching but have a question. If/when I switch I would want to port my current number over. I also have a google voice number that I use for my business. I don't make calls from it, it is just forwarded to my current phone. I just read a review that I can't port my number and keep my GV number (I'd have to pick between the two) and that if I port my number I'd have to give up my GV number? Can anyone confirm this? This could be a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
Ok, quick question for those of you that are already using Fi. I am seriously considering switching but have a question. If/when I switch I would want to port my current number over. I also have a google voice number that I use for my business. I don't make calls from it, it is just forwarded to my current phone. I just read a review that I can't port my number and keep my GV number (I'd have to pick between the two) and that if I port my number I'd have to give up my GV number? Can anyone confirm this? This could be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, you either use your GV number, port it over to Project Fi, or you lose it. Essentially your Project Fi number replaces your Google Voice number.

Though there is another option that might work for you, you can create a second Google account and either put Fi on that account or transfer your GV number to the new account. The only issue is that Google Voice will not work with Project Fi, at least as I understand it, so you can't forward calls from your GV account to your Project Fi phone.

Upvote 0
As I get it to keep your existing GV number without using it for Fi, you would have to:
Open another GV account and port your existing GV number to that.
Port your cellphone number to Fi.
Then you could forward your present GV number to Fi.
What Fi cannot do that was a deal breaker for me, is conditional call forwarding, sending unanswered GV calls back to GV for handling voicemail.

Upvote 0
I've currently got GV set up to handle all my voicemail so that could definitely be a problem for me. Is there a forum somewhere to ask Google Fi questions directly to google before switching? I haven't had any luck finding one.
There's one in the Google+ forums. I think it's for people using Fi already, but I joined without being vetted in any way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones