• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poll: If May comes and goes...

If May comes and goes, and no 2.1 from Sprint, what will you do?

• Sorry, Sprint; I'm rooting my Hero.

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Stick with 1.5.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Wait until the next rescheduled date and HOPE Sprint delivers the update then.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aaaaarrrrrrggh!

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!! With this 2.x CRAP!

Anyway.... had to vent!
:cool:

My apologies if this post offends anyone's thin skin...

Here's a strange, unheard of theory... DON'T click on threads that deal with 2.x. This way you don't have to get upset about it and post nonsense. This goes for all of you that hate on these 2.x threads. Who are you to judge if this guy is curious about 2.x?

Upvote 0
^this.

FFS, I'm about to end up with my THIRD Hero, which might be forgivable if I didn't have to deal with soul-crushing lag on the rare occasion that I have enough battery to actually use the damn thing. The ability to customize your Hero is a pretty hollow feature when you have to reset the phone once a week -- and put yourself back to square one -- to get it to run properly.

It might be easy to conclude that this is user error on my part, but I've had two Heroes, with have both been rendered useless by completely different issues. First one behaved like it was possessed, where touching the screen in one spot would result in another part of the screen highlighting. Second one stays awake 100%, no matter what I do. It's freaking maddening.

Of course, I could root it, but then I'd lose the warranty coverage that I've been using on a weekly basis. Owning this phone is like an hourly kick square in the jewels.

[/rant]

Sorry, had to vent.

From my understanding, you can't customize your Hero without being rooted and by being rooted all the things you complain of in your post would be rather nonexistant. You wouldn't lose your warranty if you rooted (unless you were completely drunk and stupidly decided to hand in your broken Hero while it was rooted). All you would have to do is load up the RUU back to 1.56 and *bam* back to stock settings and OS. It's not complicated either. I for one never experienced any issues other than the usual keyboard lag when my Hero was not rooted but now it is and I'm super satisfied.

Upvote 0
face_palm.gif

Once again Scotty comes thru in the clutch with a funny .gif!

Upvote 0
All you would have to do is load up the RUU back to 1.56 and *bam* back to stock settings and OS.

The problem is that you might as well tell me that all I have to do is split the atom, because rooting and unrooting the phone is not something that's within my skill set.

From my understanding, you can't customize your Hero without being rooted and by being rooted all the things you complain of in your post would be rather nonexistant.

This is why this forum is frustrating to me at times. I get it, many people on here have rooted their phones, and it's awesome. Mazel tov.

Not everyone on here is willing to risk bricking their phone for the promise of a phone that actually behaves like we thought it would out of the box. With that in mind, advice like "root it" is simply not helpful. I'm of the opinion that it's Sprint/HTC's responsibility to deliver a working product, not my responsibility to take the little bundle of circuitry they've provided and figure out my own way to make it work.

Might I finally add, I have no idea if rooting the phone would fix the "100% awake" problem. For all I know it's a hardware issue, not a software issue, in which case I'd be where I am right now, except I'd have to go through the extra steps of unrooting my phone to get Sprint to do anything with it.

Upvote 0
The problem is that you might as well tell me that all I have to do is split the atom, because rooting and unrooting the phone is not something that's within my skill set.

This is why this forum is frustrating to me at times. I get it, many people on here have rooted their phones, and it's awesome. Mazel tov.

Not everyone on here is willing to risk bricking their phone for the promise of a phone that actually behaves like we thought it would out of the box. With that in mind, advice like "root it" is simply not helpful. I'm of the opinion that it's Sprint/HTC's responsibility to deliver a working product, not my responsibility to take the little bundle of circuitry they've provided and figure out my own way to make it work.

Might I finally add, I have no idea if rooting the phone would fix the "100% awake" problem. For all I know it's a hardware issue, not a software issue, in which case I'd be where I am right now, except I'd have to go through the extra steps of unrooting my phone to get Sprint to do anything with it.

There are plenty of guides here and on XDA that would assist you in the process of rooting your phone. The guides themselves are rather fool proof, if you will. You seem more than capable of going through the steps to make this possible (rooting and unrooting).

Upvote 0

Exactly. :cool:

In light of a couple reports that Sprint has once again delayed 2.1 until June (engadget.com), there should've been a 4th option on this poll; "Cancel your contract with Sprint, take the ETF charge and move on."

Sprint Hero 2.1 - Vaporware. Dev Mods Sprint Hero 2.1: Available. Do the math, all those on the fence with 1.5.

Upvote 0
Exactly. :cool:

In light of a couple reports that Sprint has once again delayed 2.1 until June (engadget.com), there should've been a 4th option on this poll; "Cancel your contract with Sprint, take the ETF charge and move on."

Sprint Hero 2.1 - Vaporware. Dev Mods Sprint Hero 2.1: Available. Do the math, all those on the fence with 1.5.

Sprint did not do such a thing. That was the GSM Hero that was delayed until June.

Upvote 0

Rooting is not something that has to be done in order to enjoy the phone. The Hero is in great shape out of the box. I liken it to car fanatics that have to soup up their cars. Ford may offer a more souped-up version of your car next year. You can get pissed off that you didn't get that souped-up version or you can tinker on your car and make it better now. Personally, I wouldn't touch my car's engine because I'd screw it up since I'm not mechanically inclined. I am technically inclined however, so I choose to take my phone to the next level. I totally understand that it's not for everyone.

Upvote 0
Rooting is not something that has to be done in order to enjoy the phone. The Hero is in great shape out of the box.

I can arrive at work at 9:00 am, not touch my phone all day, and have it be dead as a doornail by the time I leave at 6 if I don't charge it along the way. That is not my idea of working well "out of the box" and I definitely wouldn't characterize my experience as "enjoying" the phone. I don't care what kind of smartphone features it has, that's just not acceptable for anything that purports to be a mobile phone, let alone a cutting edge phone.

I'm tired of complaining about it, though, and I'm sure people are tired of listening to me complain, so I'll leave it at that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones