• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[POLL] Which ROM are you using/should I use?

Which rooted ROM should I try first?

• Fresh 0.5.3

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • DamageControl 3.5.3

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rooted Stock with OTA 1.47.651.1

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Something else (post your suggestions)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gx1400

Jun 15, 2010
I rooted my OTA updated phone last night and its running the eng rooted ROM (very downgraded). When I get home tonight I'm going to put a new ROM up.

What do you think is the best? I'm looking for something for a beginner that has a lot of functionality (I'd like 4G, cameras, etc). Thanks for the input!

I'm still running the latest official ROM. Wanted to get familiar with the phone before rooting it, then when I installed the update I couldn't root if I wanted to. Now I guess you can root again but I haven't gotten around to it. I guess I've had no real issues with the official ROM yet. It's not like when I ran WM and had to flash for all kinds of functionality or version upgrades. Having the Sprint apps doesn't bother me since I just don't run them. Whenever I get bored I will probably root but there are only a couple of apps I would ever use that require it and so far I've not really needed them.

Upvote 0
Fresh is nice, but its not based on the most recent update and it may not play well with the newer radio files (it definitely doesn't play well with the newer wimax radio). So until I see what flipz does with his next version, I'm very happy running rooted stock 1.47.651.1. My 4G is better than ever, and battery life is pretty good (not as good as under Fresh, but better than on release). I also did my own clean out of /system/app to get rid of the Sprint bloat and some unneeded HTC stuff as well.

Upvote 0
I updated my Wimax radio and it works really well... hmm

"YOU MUST HAVE ALL THE 1.47.651.1 SYSTEM FILES FOR WIMAX!"

[Radio & WiMax] 2.05.00.06.10 update.zip (Full IMG) - xda-developers

You must have a magic phone. ;) Seriously though, while there have been a couple reports on XDA that the wimax update works on Fresh (yours being one of 2 that I found with some quick searching), most people report that it doesn't work. Perhaps your wimax version didn't really update?

Upvote 0
I found a 4g fix for Fresh on Flipz website (geekfor.me) somewhere in the bugs reporting, I tried to flash it through clockwork, but I thought it failed (i think I had to pull the battery because it wouldn't respond). I never tested if 4G worked before and just assumed the flash failed.

I would try to find the link, but my work's computer security isn't a fan of two letter url suffixes (usually foreign sites). I'll try to find it when I get home.

Upvote 0
The 4G fix for Fresh only corrects the MAC issue. It doesn't allow you to flash the most recent wimax radio code.

If you look through the thread that archives all the radio versions ([Radios] All EVO Radio & WiMAX Radio versions - xda-developers) you'll see that the newest wimax radio code does not work with current Fresh versions. The newest CDMA/3G radio works fine, but not wimax.

Radio and wimax radio are not the same thing. You need the 1.47 system architecture for the newest wimax radio.

Upvote 0
I'm running the newest of both. I confirmed it with wimax_mtd. Dunno how, but it works. I'm running Fresh 0.5.3 with 1.32.xxx.x software (I don't have my phone on me to check the numbers, I think its 1.32.651.6?)

I've been using 4G in my car ride home from work, I turn off Wifi, Mobile Data, and GPS (so basically all I have availiable is voice service) then turn on 4G. It acquires and starts working, listen to Pandora on the commute home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones