• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poll: your experiences after disabling/removing AT&T crapware

Upon disabling/removing the AT&T crapware...

• Noticed a big improvement in lag/battery life

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Only a small improvement or uncertain

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No improvement

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Have not rooted

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Well i just removed all the AT&T crapware except for the instant messenger and i can say that there is a big difference in performance... the phone is more smooth now, and the battery is also lasting longer. I just did a Quadrant benchmark test and score 880 which is above the Samsung Galaxy S in the test record.

I get an 874 on my unrooted Captivate that is loaded with all sorts of apps and widgets.

Upvote 0
Yeah, those scores are normal. The ATT programs take up room but not much memory unless you use them. So performance increase/ battery increase just won't be seen. I did it more because I could.

If you're looking for performance/battery increase look into the APP Lag fix and maybe the Euro rom. Neither really affected battery much but performance was noticable.

Upvote 0
I ran quadrant with a fresh install of the factory rom and scored 884. Then I rooted and deleted every piece of bloatware I could find and ran quadrant again and scored 904. My battery seems to last around tiny bit longer but it's still not great. But what do you expect out of that tiny battery powering a 1ghz beast...

Upvote 0
Same here, didn't notice any specific improvements in speed or battery (the latter would be tricky to monitor since my usage pattern is all over the place).

I did appreciate them not looming, unused in the app grid, not to mention a couple of them have some kind of additional fee I'd hate to activate.

Not to mention most of them running as services, sitting there, just waiting to tick me off...

:)

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones