• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help * *POOF* * - now its a brick

shazam27

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
Went to bed Saturday night, look at my beautiful screen before hitting the pillow...battery was at about 70%. I knew it wouldn't make it through the night at that level, have gotten used to it dying on occassion over night...so I turned off WiFi and GPS and crossed my fingers because I was too lazy to go downstairs and get my charger.

Next morning, as predicted, it was dead. No problem, I'll charge it up and be back in business in 15 minutes. Uh-oh...no red charging indicator.

Dead Evo.

Did the remove battery trick a couple times to no avail. Also crossed fingers and plugged it in to 3 alternative chargers (car charger and daughters incredible charger). Still no light.

Now I sit and wait for Radio Shack to get in another so I can get a replacement. And go back to Blackberry.

Anyone know if a new battery would fix this? Or is the no charging light an indicator of bigger issues?

Thanks!
Scott

There's a good chance that the battery is just too far discharged for the phone to recognize it. If you have a spare battery or a wall charger for just the battery (not using the phone) I would try that first.
If not, you could try "jump starting" the battery if you have an old usb cable you don't mind hacking up. This is a fix from the old 8125 days that I've used on my wife's old 8125 and my old 8525 when the battery was discharged to the point the phone no longer recognized it.
HTC Wizard/Cingular 8125 Dead Battery Fix …errr jumpstart Pt. 2 | Ask The Admin

I haven't let my EVO get that low to try it personally on this battery, but it saved me a couple times with the older phones.

Reactions: shazam27
Upvote 0
There's a good chance that the battery is just too far discharged for the phone to recognize it. If you have a spare battery or a wall charger for just the battery (not using the phone) I would try that first.
If not, you could try "jump starting" the battery if you have an old usb cable you don't mind hacking up. This is a fix from the old 8125 days that I've used on my wife's old 8125 and my old 8525 when the battery was discharged to the point the phone no longer recognized it.
HTC Wizard/Cingular 8125 Dead Battery Fix

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones