• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor Battery life with Froyo

A few weeks ago I put CM6 on my HTC Magic. Initially it was great, the battery seemed to last forever compared to the 1.5/Sense I switched from. Gradually though, it started shortening down, to the point where if the phone was just sleeping through an 8 hour day in my desk, the battery would be less than 20%.

My first step was getting rid of widgets. I had a lot of them, and many of them updated frequently. The facebook widget in particular seems to constantly try to update.

Next, I got rid of my task killer after doing some reading on Froyo's self-task-killing processes and why task killers are a bad thing in 2.2.

Finally, I realized that by running with WiFi turned on constantly used a LOT of battery. If the phone was sleeping all day long, the WiFi would use as much as the "cell standby" process.

So things have improved. Last night before I went to bed, I plugged in and unplugged my phone (to reset the unplugged counter). The battery was at 70% charge. When I got up this morning, it was down to 15%, over 10h 1m 37s. Cell standby used 95%, Phone idle used 3%, and Display the other 2%. That's 55% drained over 10 hours of only standby. That still seems like a lot to me, though much better than it was. Any tips on what else I could check and rule things out before I decide my phone's physical battery is just aging?

EDIT: My phone is just getting to the 1-year-old mark.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones